Welcome back to Dateline Disneyland and happy Veteran’s Day! The holidays at Disneyland are now in full swing with the weekend acting as a soft-launch of Christmastime at the Resort, which is officially set to begin Tuesday, November 12. This weekend brought just about all of Disneyland’s holiday offerings a few days early for the Veteran’s Day holiday weekend, including new offerings such as the Jingle Cruise as well as returning favorites like “it’s a small world” Holiday. In addition to its nearly-complete holiday line-up, Disneyland also filmed its portions of the Disney Parks Christmas Day Parade over the weekend with celebrity appearances and live filming on Main Street, U.S.A.
Don’t miss your weekly Disneyland Resort crowd forecast — provided by our friends at MouseAddict — in the Weekly News and Information Roundup at the end of today’s update!
Get a closer look at today’s update! Click on any photo in today’s blog to see a larger, high-resolution version.
Happy 6th Anniversary! Before we get started, I’d like to mention that this week marks Dateline Disneyland’s 6th anniversary! Thank you so, so much to all of you for reading every week. This blog wouldn’t be here without you — so thanks!
|Welcome to Disneyland!|
Last week, Disney Imagineer and Legend Tony Baxter received a window on Main Street while we were on break last week. Baxter’s new “Main Street Marvels” window is on the facade of the Main Street Magic Shop.
The “Imagination is at the heart of our Creations” slogan pays tribute to Baxter’s famous “Journey into Imagination” attraction at Walt Disney World’s EPCOT Center. MiceChat had full coverage of the dedication ceremony.
The Disney Parks Blog released a short video covering the dedication ceremony.
|Unwrapping the Holidays|
The big news this week is, of course, the start of Disneyland’s popular holiday season. It may seem a bit like Christmas in July as Anaheim is set to hit the high 80s this week, but it is indeed time for the holidays and Disneyland is ready to go.
The garland isn’t up across Main Street quiet yet as high clearance was needed for the filming of the Disney Parks Christmas Day Parade over the weekend, but garland is up along Main Street buildings. New this season, the entrances to most of the larger Main Street shops and restaurants feature their own store-specific themed garland.
On Sunday, characters and floats from both Mickey’s Sounsational Parade and A Christmas Fantasy Parade were filmed throughout the day along Main Street with Nick Cannon hosting the festivities at Christmas Tree Point.
The large stage in front of Sleeping Beauty Castle included performances from Mary J. Blige, Demi Lovato and others. Our friends at MouseInfo have great coverage of Saturday’s concert performances.
In Adventureland, the new “Jingle Cruise” holiday overlay for the classic Jungle Cruise attraction soft-opened on Saturday. The overlay here is actually pretty subtle in comparison to most of the holiday offerings elsewhere in the parks. Below, the new Jingle Cruise attraction poster is up in the Main Street Station tunnels.
Some nicely-themed decorations are scattered throughout the attraction’s queue and strung up on the jungle boats and that’s about it as far as decorations go. There aren’t any decorations in the jungle, which is a relief.
Below, a video ride-through of the Jingle Cruise.
Disney announced last week that the popular Billy Hill and the Hillbillies will retire in January. You can enjoy the Billies throughout the season back here in Big Thunder Ranch.
You can watch a full ride-through of “it’s a small world” Holiday below!
Also new this year, “it’s a small world” will feature a holiday clock show every quarter-hour throughout the evening. Below, a video preview from the Disney Parks Blog:
Over in Paradise Park, some big Christmas presents — a part of the upcoming “World of Color: Winter Dreams” show — are now in place in the planters.
Last week Disney released a video clip with some footage from rehearsals, giving a sneak preview of the new holiday show:
Nearby in Paradise Garden, the new menu for the upcoming Viva Navidad! celebration is now available at Paradise Garden Grill, even though the new cultural holiday celebration doesn’t start until November 15.
Outside of the parks, Downtown Disney has its winter ice skating rink under construction. The ice rink and a holiday village is set to open November 14.
New in Fantasyland, the new meet-and-greet for Disney’s upcoming animated film “Frozen” is now welcoming guests in the space formerly occupied by Rapunzel. Rapunzel still meets with guests in Fantasy Faire.
Below, a video of Olaf:
Inside, guests meet with Elsa and Anna from the film. MiceChat’s In the Parks Blog has more photos from inside the meet-and-greet.
|Limited Time Magic|
at Disney California Adventure
November 14-17, 2013
Limited Time Magic this week is a series of live culinary demonstrations at California Adventure’s new “Viva Navidad!” celebration in Paradise Garden. The demos will teach you how to make the new menu items for sale at Paradise Garden Grill during the celebration. Below is Disney’s blurb:
Cook up some fun for the whole family at Disney California Adventure Park, where a merry party is taking place through January 6, 2014. It’s Disney’s ¬°Viva Navidad!, a joyous event inspired by the warmth, spirit and tastes of the Latino culture. And as part of Limited Time Magic, you can stop by Paradise Gardens from November 14 ‚Äì 17, 2013 to enjoy some savory treats, including Champurrudo and Pineapple Sweet Tamales‚Äîeach prepared by Disneyland Resort chefs during exciting culinary demonstrations! It’s a perfect opportunity to wish those around you a festive occasion, and also purchase specially themed merchandise, like tees, pins, ornaments and more. Don’t miss this chance to celebrate the season in style!
A Limited Time Annual Passholder Magic Event
at Disney California Adventure
On select dates in November and December
Annual Passholders can attend exclusive showings of the new “World of Color: Winter Dreams” at California Adventure on select nights this November and December.
- World of Color Winter Dreams Showings
- Registration must be completed in person, by each participating Passholder, at the Grizzly River Run Disney FASTPASS Service machines on the day of the event only; no phone reservations, registration by someone else or other forms of registration will be accepted. Registration and distribution of Disney FASTPASS tickets for each Passholder show will be based on availability. Space at this event is limited and not guaranteed.
- Cast Members will be available at the Grizzly River Run Disney FASTPASS location to assist Passholders with event registration and to hand out holiday ornaments, while supplies last.
- Participating Annual Passholders must present their active Annual Passports to an event Cast Member to check event availability and to register and receive a Disney FASTPASS ticket. Photo ID may be required.
- Registration and Disney FASTPASS ticket distribution for this special event is available on each event day when Disney California Adventure Park opens‚Äîcurrently scheduled at 9:00 AM on November 15, 16, 17, 22 and December 2, 3,4,5, 6; and 10:00 AM on November 18,19, 20, 21.
- It is recommended that all members of your party register together at the Grizzly River Run Disney FASTPASS location to help ensure that everyone receives a Disney FASTPASS ticket to the event.
- This is an all-ages event. However, all participating Guests ages 3 and older must be valid Annual Passholders on the day of the event. Children under 3 may attend the event as long as there is space available and they are accompanied by an adult (age 18 or over) with a valid Disney FASTPASS ticket. Children under 3 will not receive an ornament.
- A valid Annual Passport is required to receive a Disney FASTPASS ticket to a Passholder show and the accompanying holiday ornament.
- One ornament and one event Disney FASTPASS ticket for each registered Passholder on each event day will be distributed at the Grizzly River Run Disney FASTPASS location, while supplies last.
- Passholders will not receive a holiday ornament with a Disney FASTPASS ticket for any of the general audience shows.
Celebrate the warmth and wonder of winter with the all-new nighttime spectacular in Disney California Adventure Park‚ÄîWorld of Color ‚Äì Winter Dreams!
Annual Passholders are invited to attend a special viewing. Event participants may also receive a special holiday ornament, while supplies last.
November 15 through November 22, 2013
December 2 through December 6, 2013
9:00 PM show time on November 15, 16, 17, 22 and December 6, 2013
7:00 PM show time on November 18, 19, 20, 21 and December 2, 3, 4 and 5, 2013
Event Ticket Information
|This and That|
In Tomorrowland, Innoventions’ new THOR meet-and-greet is officially open and new banners announce the arrival of Thor on the building’s exterior along with a couple of the existing Iron Man Tech banners.
|Weekly News & Information Round-Up|
|Weekly Theme Park Hours
November 11-17, 2013
|Disneyland Park||California Adventure|
9 am – 9 pm
10 am – 8 pm
9 am – 12 am
9 am – 8 pm
10 am – 8 pm
9 am – 10 pm
visit the Disneyland.com Theme Park Calendar
A weekly look at projected crowd levels at the Disneyland Resort.
A quick look at noteworthy Disney theme park headlines from around the web.
|Alright, that wraps up this week’s holiday edition of Dateline Disneyland! Thanks again for reading over the last six years! It’s been a pleasure writing this blog every week for all of you! Please join this week’s discussion in the comments section below!
We’re only here because of generous readers like you. Do you enjoy reading Dateline Disneyland every week? Consider helping us out by donating so we can pay the bills and keep the weekly updates coming! You can donate with a click of a button via PayPal, click here!
For more Disneyland news, be sure to read MiceChat’s weekly In the Parks blog. And be sure to check out our sister blog, Dateline Disney World – a fantastic weekly photo blog covering Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida!
Thanks for reading. See you at Disneyland!
|Support Dateline Disneyland
| | | |
|FTC-Mandated Disclosure: Promotional consideration for this edition of Dateline Disneyland was provided by the Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel & Water Playground.|