Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

•   
    • Damn Good Burger!

Re: Viva Italia!! Circarama's "Adventures By Disney" Trip Report

Sounds like a great trip Charlie and I'm jealous. Can't wait to see and read the rest.

• Minion

I'm really looking forward to the rest of this report! This is so exciting!
    I want my cake back!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

I have dreaming of taking one of these fantastic trips since I first saw them advertised! Now, judging from this trip report, it looks excellent! I'm dying to see more!

And I'm going to go with Coheteboy on this one...the food, THE FOOD! That, alone, is worth the trip!

Bravo! Brava!

Peac-ci-mo!
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

I miss Italy.

Great report! Can't wait to see more!
    A signature should go here.

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

Just WOW Charlie! Can't wait to see/hear about the rest of your trip!
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

• Gumball Rally Godfather

I love blackout shades…
    -Circarama

Thursday morning we slept in ‘til 10:30 am. Trans-Atlantic travel comes at a cost, and we paid our dues over the previous 24 hours.

Without obligations until 5:30pm, Darlene and I decided to get something to eat and visit the ruins that we had seen the day before on the way to the hotel.

We left the hotel and started walking thru the neighborhood in search of a place to eat. Finding a good restaurant to stop in isn’t the problem… deciding on what you want to eat is.

Eventually we settled on a small café which happened to be right across Barberini Plaza from the hotel. We had a nice lunch and for dessert, the cashier short-changed me €.50 on the way out the door. Sweeeeet![/sarcasm]
    As a recounted my change as we walked down the street, all I could think was “keep it buddy… I‘m on vacation“.

As luck would have it, there was a Metro subway station on 3 different corners of Barberini square.

We walked down the stairs to where the tickets are sold, and I found a map of the subway system on the wall.

Ha! This is gonna be easy… they only have 2 subways. Subway A and Subway B. Go 60 feet underground on what has to be the worlds longest escalator...

...Hop on Subway A, get off after two stops, Hop on Subway B, get off after another two stops. Voila, we’re at the Colosseum!

Knowing that we were going to be spending some serious time the following day at the Colosseum, we decided to just snap a few pics and start heading for the Palatine Ruins.

After finding out at the ticket office that you can only buy one €24 ticket that visits the Colosseum, the Forum and the Palatine, we decided to forego tickets and walk the circumference of the Palatine for free.

We walked south past the Palatine and found ourselves sandwiched between the Palatine and Circus Maximus.

Circus Maximus was used in ancient Rome for public games, entertainment, and most importantly, chariot races. At one time, it was built up enough on the sides to accommodate 270,000 people. Now, all that remains is the oval track, the spina ( the raised hump in the center) and the ESPN tower on the east side of the track.

We continued our walk past The Palatine with me taking lots of pics with my trusty Canon(s).

After about a mile, we crossed a street and walked up a winding road that eventually opened up to an amazing view of the Roman Forum, the house of the Vestal virgins and the Palatine ruins.

I didn’t know it, but the next day I was going to be walking among what was spread out before me.

Darlene and I were both getting kinda' tired since we’d been on our feet for a couple of hours and it was hot that day. We wanted to get back to the room for a little rest and a cool shower before meeting our fellow Adventurers later that night. We easily found our way back to the subway station and we were back at the hotel in 15 minutes.

The “Adventures By Disney” welcome reception was at 5:30pm that night. We made our way to the rooftop restaurant and patio, and found our ABD guides Marco and Tina waiting for us.

There was a variety of adult beverages waiting for us as we took in the view of Rome at sunset.

Altogether there was 34 people signed up for this tour, plus of course, the ever-present Marco and Tina. One thing that I haven’t mentioned yet was that this ABD tour was one of only two “Viva Italia” tours per year that is child-free. So… no kids! Please excuse me while I whoop it up… YIPPEE!! Don’t get me wrong, I love kids. But Darlene and I have five of ’em and I was happy that my vacation was going to be child-free.

After a few minutes Marco and Tina asked us to gather ’round so we could play a little “gettin’ to know you” game. We had a list of questions we had to get answers for, such as” Who speaks Italian” and “who’s ridden in a gondola” I was tempted to ask if a Skyway gondola counts, but I decided to keep a low profile... at least for awhile!

We then moved into the dining room and Marco and Tina had a member from each party stand up, introduce themselves and say a little bit about themselves and their traveling partner.

We didn’t have any kids, but we did have about four young couples, two of whom were newlyweds. By the midway point of our tour these four couples came to be known as our “Junior Adventurers”. They were a lot of fun and several of us adopted them as our own. But I digress…

In all the excitement of meeting our fellow Adventurers, dinner partially escapes me. I do remember veal cutlets and roasted potatoes. I definitely remember the tiramisu for dessert and the bottles of red and white wine on the table, which I thought was a nice touch.

At the end of our meal, we were all given a small Disney pin with Pinocchio on it that read "Benvenuto" which translates to "Welcome". We would be given one of these cute pins each day of our adventure. You'll be seeing them at the beginning of each one of my updates.

After dinner, the six of that ended up sitting together, decided to go out for drinks. We walked up the Via Veneto, which is a nice avenue that goes past the American Consulate and terminates at the ancient wall that used to surround Rome.

There’s a bar/restaurant at the top of this road that we got an outside table at. I didn’t know it when we sat down, but we were having drinks at Harry’s Bar. Harry’s bar is famous the world over for creating the “Bellini”, a mixture of sparkling wine and peach purée. There are 2 other Harry’s Bars in Italy, one in Florence, and the original in Venice.

It was great to spend some time with our new fellow Adventurers. One couple was from Chicago and the other couple, the newlyweds, were from Michigan. We had a really nice time with them and looked forward to spending more time getting to know them.

We eventually decided to call it a night since we knew that Friday was going to be a long and arduous day. The six of us slowly strolled back down the Via Veneto and said our goodnights. It had been a good day.

Next up: Seeing the Colosseum from the inside out, walking among the ruins, underground pizza, and an unforgettable dinner.

CLICK HERE FOR DAY 3 OF OUR ADVENTURE!

Last edited by Circarama; 10-30-2008 at 03:12 PM.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Wow, fantastic! I'm enjoying the commentary as much as the pics... what a great TR you have!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

charlie, if this is only the beginning......man, what a beginning! can't wait to see the rest!
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• Banned User

Wonderful!!!!!!!!! please do not make us wait to long for the next installment !!!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Oh, my Mother Country.

Your pictures are making me homesick, and I've never even been there before!

Blog Entries

Love this trip report. I am very interested in the ABD tours! Thanks for doing this!

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuna Makarla View Post
    Wonderful!!!!!!!!! please do not make us wait to long for the next installment !!!
    Patience Grasshopper.

I'm trying to crank out at least one trip report touring day/per day. Day 3 should be out early this evening. Until someone hires me as a copy-writer, I still gotta hold down my day job.

Thanks for all the props so far everyone! This was an awesome trip and the Disney portion is just getting started!!
    Last edited by Circarama; 10-28-2008 at 07:43 AM.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

I was envious before but now that you say no kids, bonus points. This is definitely a report to get to slowly savor so I don't miss anything. Great job so far.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Wow! Amazing, I can't wait for tonight's installment.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Circle of Ancients

Amazing Charlie. And your "Adventure" hasn't even started yet.

Can't wait to see more.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast