Are the Adventures by Disney worth it?

Are you saving money, getting a deal? What's special about them?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

Re: Are the Adventures by Disney worth it?

I honestly never done one, but I have a phobia of traveling abroad so I probabaly never will.

One thing to consider they take care of everything and you get a guide for the entire trip, which is great.

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

You have a "phobia" about traveling abroad, even with a plaid holding your hand?

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by beckramenoodles View Post
    Are you saving money, getting a deal? What's special about them?
    If you look at their ads you can see where they visit and go there yourself for less money, IF you like planning and have the time. And you won't have to wait for that one family that never gets to the bus on time and the other one that complains too much.

And now it's time for another of my
    I need to get a a life digressions!
    Adventures by Disney should team up with the Disney Vacation Club and have 200+ room hotels/time share apartments in NYC, L.A., and London. It's amazing how many of the world's top-rated museums are in NYC, London, and Paris. Then Adventures by Disney could use these hotels as bases for day trips. (Disneyland Paris' hotels are close enough to be a base for France's capital.) The brand new Legoland Hotel in Carlsbad and the Nickelodeon hotel in Orlando are examples of well-themed, family-friendly hotels Disney/Pixar/Marvel/Star Wars--one theme per floor--could emulate.

Here's a nice Legoland Hotel trip report:
    http://micechat.com/25624-legoland-hotel-san-diego/

Even some vacation club who would never leave America, might value the option of using their points in the world's great cities--the way some McDonald's customers value the option of ordering a healthy salad though they never do, and the way some cable subscribers like having the option of watching award-winning programming though they're more likely to see the Kardashians.
    (
    This is why Iger was short sighted in selling the Miramax library, but I digress.)

--Tom Sinsky
    Last edited by jcruise86; 04-09-2013 at 03:24 PM.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by cakvalasc View Post
    . . . I have a phobia of traveling abroad. . .
    Fun fact: to over seven billion folks, YOU live "abroad"!

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    If you look at their ads you can see where they visit and go there yourself for less money, IF you like planning and have the time. And you won't have to wait for that one family that never gets to the bus on time and the other one that complains too much.
    Just to expand on that and add in my experience.

I've been to some of the same sites, stayed in the same hotels, and eaten in the same restaurants. All for much much less.

ABD tours are just highlight trips or certain locations. Just like if you go to San Fransisco and find yourself riding a cable car, looking around golden gate park, walking China Town and touring the Academy of Science and if the season is right taking in the national past time of America at a Giant's Game.

The thing is you may not know what the highlights are in a different location, but Disney has done the research for you. You could find the same information in a AAA guidebook, Fromer's guidebook or this crazy internet thing. And then the price is much less.

On the ABD yours you get some nice things.
    1. Planning is done for you. You show up, they have the schedule, know where to go, when to go, and how to go.
    2. The hotels, meals, activities are nice. A town may not have Michelin rated dining spots, or AAA rated hotels, but they take you to the nice places. You don't get to a room and find you're in the roach motel, or sit down at the greasy spoon.
    3. The guide speaks your language and the local language and know the customs. I saw at the Grand Canyon, a bus of chinese tourists, and the chinese guide hopped out walked into the middle of the road, yelled something, put both hands in the air to stop traffic and let his group cross. If it was ABD they would use a crosswalk, the guide would speak english. Not only that but the ABD guide would not be from New York, he would be from Las Vegas and studied hospitality at Northern Arizona University.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• MiceChat Travel Partner

I have been on two ABD's and have booked many.

The planning is part of what ABD does but there are many extras that Disney goes above and beyond to provide-like private tours of a historic site or museum that may be closed to the public, cultural and historical extras that take your breath away.

Case in point-on our tour in South Africa we went to the Disrtict 6 museum. Not only did we get a tour, but someone that lived through it spoke to our group and gave his prospective. It was eye opening to hear what he, his family, friends and neighbors went through.

One of our ABD guides was from Capetown and spoke about his personal experiences being there when Nelson Mandela was released. He also spoke of what it was like to grow up in South Africa. These are not people just off the streets guiding the groups, they are chosen for the extra knowledge they can share with the Adventurers.

Another day it was too foggy and the gondola to Table Mountain was closed. Our guides quickly set up another tour of the botanical gardens given by the director. This was all taken care of before we as Adventurers knew there was an issue with the mountain. Taking care of issues that arise before they are truly issues is also what they do extremely well.

You don't get this type of detail with other group trips. Adventures by Disney is not only adventure, but is also historic and cultural experiences.

If you would like more details or have questions please feel free to contact me and I will be happy to chat more: [email protected]
    MiceChat Preferred Travel Partner

Contact us to book your next Disney Vacation!