Blog Comments

• |
    It's hard to pick a favorite memory of Knotts. There were several times we went to eat and we got to ride the trolley to and from the parking lot (the only ride back then that was free). Always wanted to go in the Haunted Shack, but we were poor and that cost extra. Finally made it in and loved it!

I can kinda relive those days since one of the trolley cars is housed in Poway, though you have to look in the window to see it.
    • |
    We've lived in SoCal for almost 5 years and never made it to Knott's. Why? I don't really know. We've had DLR passes the entire time and probably just head there out of habit. I would love to see the park that started it all.
    • |
    What will he crowds be like Tuesday the 14th? An 8 a.m. opening tells me it will be busy. Thanks
    • |
    As much as I appreciate the positive spin on Duffy - being cute and all - I would be glad if he went away. Actually, I'm surprised there isn't harsh criticism for this bear that was created solely to sell merchandise. It doesn't surprise me people aren't interested. I'm sure they'd rather meet Mickey or the rest of the gang. Duffy doesn't fit the Disney look and looks totally generic.
    • |
    One of my earliest memories of Knott's is when I went with my 8th grade orchestra on a field trip. I basically chose what my friends and I were going to do that day and decided that we should go on Kingdom of the Dinosaurs because it looked neat.

So we waited in line...and waited...and waited. And at 40 minutes my friends started to get really antsy and I distinctly remember offering one of them some gum as a sort of peace offering and then fiddled with my gum wrapper for the hour and a half we waited.

And I don't think they liked the ride LOL. But every time I see the building that now has Laser Tag inscribed on it, I think of how much fun we had the rest of the day

And another great update--seems like a quiet week at all the theme parks.
    • |
    I have never been to Knotts. This is my first Christmas in California and I will not be able to get back to my family in Minnesota, so I would love the chance to go to the park and be able to share my new holiday memory with them.
    • |
    I have never been to Knotts. This is my first Christmas in California and I will not be able to get back to my family in Minnesota, so I would love the chance to go to the park and be able to share my new holiday memory with them.
    • |
    Nice update!
    • |
    favorite knotts memory: when i first visited, i was 7! i spent one day there and one day at disneyland. my favorite part was the ghost town, because at that age i LOVED laura engalls wilder books, and I wore a quilted patchwork jumper and my prarie boots. I don't remember any of the rest of the park, just peering in the windows and looking at the figures inside (which I found incredibly scary, especially the dentist!), and my sister and i choosing painted parasols as our souvenirs. because of the ghost town, i had more fun at knotts than at disneyland that year!

i noticed in this update that Marty from Knott's looks so friendly and casual and laid back compared to our suits from TDA...
    • |
    A well lit update. Thanks.
    Two Knotts memories. One, the very first time I rode the Mine Train attraction. It was a scary feeling that we would be winding through a mountain. I think I was about 8 at that time. But I was brave and had a great time
    Two, I was about to apply for a job at Knotts at Christmas time in 1973, found the Personnel took a few steps towards the door and I got cold feet. But then, I decided to drive down to Disneyland, and apply for a job there instead. And was hired for a position in the Blue Bayou.
    • |
    Great update! Thanks guys!
    • |
    Ha! I knew Duffy wouldn't take-off here.

Great update!
    • |
    Great update....I love all the photos.

For a chance to win the 4 tickets, my favorite memory of Knotts is my daughter's first visit there, and her being so little that she could not work the Huff and Puff carts without a helpful push around the track.
    • |
    I would LOVE to go to Knott's Berry Farm. I remember going there as a very young child and having the time of my life at Camp Snoopy. As I grew up and went to the Farm, it seemed like there was always a ride that I had been too afraid of to ride the time before, but now I had the guts to experience. So I feel a sort of connection to each ride there, and they all remind me of different times in my life. That is why it would be special to go to Knott's
    • |
    Posting my fondest memory of Knott's would be a very difficult task indeed! As a child in the 80's, my parents took us to Knott's once a year (by contrast we only went to Disneyland every 2 or 3 years). I remember the smell of Kingdom of the Dinosaurs, I remember the sound that the Wacky Soap Box Racers vehicles made as they jerked around the track, and or course I remember the tastes. Mostly that of boysenberry pie! I have been very critical of Cedar Fair, as they have disassembled my memories piece by piece and replaced them with forests of steel girders and thematically inappropriate dining options (Johnny Rockets in Roaring 20's??). One of a kind themed rides have given way to cheap coasters, or pay-to-play carnie rides. The whole situation makes me very sad, and I would pay lots of money to be able to walk around 1989 Knott's.

BUT...

There are still vestiges of the grand old park to be discovered and enjoyed. It's akin to visiting EPCOT, being horrified by the state of Future World, but thankful that you still have Spaceship Earth! We still have the Log Ride, Mine Train, and Ghost Town. And it appears that great care is being taken to restore and "preserve" these icons. My nephew is 9 years old, and lives in Arizona. He visited Knott's once when he was much younger. I would love for my sister and I to be able to take him to Knott's this holiday and uncover some of those Knott's-exclusive gems that make the place such a strong force in my nostalgic mind.

Sorry this is kind of long, I got started and couldn't stop. As it is I made edits!
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronInCal
    Good ol' MiceChat.. have to be negative in some way.. Talking about Paradise Bay going form nasty brown to clean, but toilet bowl sanitizer color..
    It is! That isn't negative, it's a fact! The water looks a lot better than the nasty baby poop brown that it was a few weeks ago! But, as a way to describe the fake blue to the thousands who read us, it is absolutely tidy bowl blue these day.
    • |
    Your beautiful photos brought back a fave memory of mine. Hubby and I had just started dating and went to the Knott's Craft Fair. We found some wonderful things & I still have a blown glass piece we bought. Thanks for the memories!
    • |
    Good ol' MiceChat.. have to be negative in some way.. Talking about Paradise Bay going form nasty brown to clean, but toilet bowl sanitizer color..
    • |
    We went to Knotts Berry Farm for the first time a few years ago....what a fun time our family had! We ate at the restaurant, the chicken was so yummy, and the biscuits....so good and filling!

My daughter loved the carousel, and the most fun ride we went on was the pony express ride! I have pictures of us all sitting on top of our horses!

We rode the rickety wooden roller coaster, the cool mine train too.

I love the Peanuts characters and the little house that has the bottle tops in the walls.

I would love it if we could all go again and spend the whole day there as a family!

Thank you for the beautiful pictures and as always love the updates in the parks!
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by cablubber
    Under that picture of Mickey waving to the camera it says "Mickey wishes you a Happy Holiday!" it's too bad that it couldn't instead say "Mickey wishes you a Merry Christmas!" All that politically correct bologna has gotten old I must say.
    Sorry that I didn't use the exact word to make you happy. But, in a long update like this, not everything can be Christmas, Christmas, Christmas. And as someone who grew up in a Jewish family, it always seemed nice to me when folks tried to reach out to me by saying "Holidays" once in a while instead of assuming that they could wish me a Merry Christmas. So, what you assume is "Political Correctness" isn't at all. It is one part me trying to use a variety of words and one part my upbringing of always being left out by those who assumed that I was also celebrating THEIR holiday. And for the record, I believe that Mickey is just as happy to see little Jewish kids as he is the Christian ones. Chalk that one up to Political Correctness as well. And that's a GOOD thing in my opinion. So, yes, "Holiday" is an inclusive word that none of us should be ashamed to use!
    Updated 12-10-2010 at 02:55 PM by Dustysage