Blog Comments

• |
    Having gone to Knott's Merry Farm last week, I have fond memories of the performance of Gift of the Magi in the Bird Cage Theatre, and the Mystery Lodge (knowing basically how that works just makes it more amazing to me now). And I remember various chicken dinners I've consumed, when my family would stop in when passing by on the way home from family vacations, even when we didn't enter the park.

On this last trip, I bought a pass for next year, but I hope I win the passes to show friends what a fun little park Knott's is.
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by F!an
    Ok. I'll be the one to ask...Why does the owner of the Menorah and the only Jewish reference on Main Street have to be a doctor who works/lives in a building that doubles as a jewelery shop?
    Ok... I have to...

a JEWelry Shop...

Sorry...

BWAHAHA!!!
    • |
    Nice Update! it's nice to see everything all Christmasy. Under that picture of Mickey waving to the camera it says "Mickey wishes you a Happy Holiday!" it's too bad that it couldn't instead say "Mickey wishes you a Merry Christmas!" All that politically correct bologna has gotten old I must say. Although, the heading of this update is "In The Park's - A Very Merry Christmas Update From Disneyland, Knott's and Universal" which is great.
    • |
    For the contest:

My memories go back to the 1950's when our family would go often and for free - there were no walls around the place and you could just walk around Ghost Town to your heart's content. We have old home movies of the stunt show shoot out in front of the saloon with some famous cowboy actor of the day (can't remember who). Our great uncle was a Shriner and there was a huge Shriner convention there one year w/all these Shriner's in their costumes marching down the street. My favorite place to visit (now gone) was the Haunted Shack.
    • |
    So no one is in line to see poor Duffy. But how's his merchandise selling?

Surely its got to have more appeal to it than that lame vinylmation crap thats on the shelf. I see opportunity's to bring the Bear to the spotlight and see Disney Stateside failing in all atempts. Don't get rid of Duffy, give the Bear a chance. If anyone should go its the people in merchandise behind his push who have failed up to now to to promote the line to the Guests. Real shame.
    • |
    Great update as usual!

Growing up in Florida I don't think I ever really was aware of anything outside of Disney World (we only went once growing up--but the signs were everywhere). When I first learned about Knotts, I assumed it was simply a Six Flags style park---which are good for what they are--but I had no idea the history and level of theming that is present there. This blog, however, has been teaching it to me! I would absolutely love to go and experience in person and really need to move it to the top of the list. As a relatively recent transplant to California, my focus has been on experiencing Disneyland when I'm down there....but I need to make time for Knotts too!
    • |
    I'd love to win tickets to Knott's. My girlfriend has never been and I'd love a chance to take her for the holidays.
    • |
    I would definitely like to enter to win Knott's tickets.

I know I went there as a child, but I have no memory of going. Whenever I head south (which I will in January), I have enough money for Disneyland only, and parks like Knott's get left out. I'd love a chance to see what it has to offer.
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage
    Thanks for catching that. Fishy added those in late last night. He must have pasted from an old template or something. I've deleted them all.
    CURSES! You caught me in part of my nefarious plan to get Halloween back again. NOTHING Gets past you guys!

So I have SOOOO Many memories of Knott's Many of which took place at Knott's Scary Farm's Halloween Haunt. But the one memory that seems to stick out in my mind the most is when I was on Knott's Berry Tales with a cousin of mine. He had just watched Friday the 13th and we were telling him Jason was going to come out from around the corner when we were in the spooky part of the ride, right before the big descent hill. Well, being the mischievous kid that I was, I grabbed my cousin to give him a big scare and at that moment he turned, jabbing my nose with his elbow. Blood began pouring down my face and all over my brand new Rubick's Cube t-shirt. The slow pace of the ride creeping through the layout and my gushing nose had me panicking. Fortunately an employee was stationed in the state fair scene and walked along the ride until we were able to disembark. He walked me and my cousin from the back of the park all the way through Ghost Town and first aid. The looks I got walking through Ghost town covered in blood were priceless. First aid cleaned me up and I was back out causing trouble in the park in no time. (sigh) Good times. lolol
    Updated 12-10-2010 at 10:40 AM by Fishbulb
    • |
    When my brother and I were little kids in the 60's we loved the Santa at Knott's. He was in an igloo that was in the front of the park by Bob's Mens Shop. Not only did they always have a great looking Santa, but I suspect the real reason he was our favorite was he gave you FULL size candy canes (like 10-12 inch) where most Santas just gave you the tiny little ones
    • |
    My memories of Knott's take me back to being a kid in the 1970s. The new Corkscrew was making headlines as being the world's first upside down rollercoaster, and I remember how TV newscasters would explain in great detail just how it's possible for people to ride safely and not fall out. lol

Now going upside down is the rule rather than the exception.

In an era where a lot of parks are demolishing their older rides to build new thrills (which will break the hearts of future generations when they, in turn, are replaced in the future), it's nice that Knott's still has some classics like the Mine Train and the Log Ride. I see they still even have the old Stagecoach rides and bandits robbing the train! Brings back a lot of memories...
    • |
    I haven't been to Knotts Berry Farm for a long time now and in fact I have never experienced Knotts Merry Farm. Why? My love for Disneyland has taken over and its the place I'm always at. My annual pass gets me in anytime I want 365 days a year and I totally forget about the real world of other amusement parks outside. I've seen Disneyland in the Christmas spirit (which I adore) but never Knott's Merry Farm. And when I think about it also none of my friends have invited me or have a pass to Knotts which is why I go back to Disneyland. If I am able to have the chance to go I will enjoy the experience to the fullest and then maybe I can say "I've also went to Knotts MERRY Farm!"
    • |
    Truly delightful update. You scratch so many itches, by getting in there and getting shots of the detail. Loving how you take pics and then show the blue-sky plans. Very thought out!
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDude
    Wow! We transported back to October with that update!

(all dates say 10/10 and on for the hours)

Other than that, wonderful update!
    Thanks for catching that. Fishy added those in late last night. He must have pasted from an old template or something. I've deleted them all.
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek
    What's the deal with Universal not having Christmas overlays up until mid-December? Seems like a missed opportunity, and a (somewhat) wasted effort.
    Most of the Christmas decorations start going up mid-November and are done rather quickly but the overlays above (Whoville sets and the Mummy's Tomb) are specific to Grinchmas which doesn't start until December 11.
    • |
    I love the idea of Ghirardelli but would truely miss the fresh tortillas.
    • |
    The coverage of Knott's is awesome. The decorations are quite impressive, there seems to be a heavy emphasis on detail this year.
    • |
    Wonderful update as always. I haven't been to Knott's since 1996, I'll have to check it out during a future visit, if it's being run as well as you say.

What's the deal with Universal not having Christmas overlays up until mid-December? Seems like a missed opportunity, and a (somewhat) wasted effort.
    • |
    What a wonderful update!!! I am loving how festive Knotts Berry Farm is looking for Christmas. I haven't been there in forever; would LOVE to win those tickets! My favorite memory of KBF are the wonderful chicken dinners on a Sunday afternoon with my family. Miss those days!!
    I greatly appreciate all the work that goes into these weekly updates. Those of us who are too far away to see the parks up close and personal all the time are grateful!!!
    • |
    Wow! We transported back to October with that update!

(all dates say 10/10 and on for the hours)

Other than that, wonderful update!