Blog Comments

• |
    can't wait to ride windseeker!!
    • |
    Fantastic update. There is no better overview of SoCal theme parks than InTheParks. I loved the pics of Fiesta Village. It's great to see it getting some much need luuuuuv.

Great job, all!
    Updated 08-05-2011 at 08:29 AM by In the Parks
    • |
    Great update!
    Updated 08-05-2011 at 08:30 AM by In the Parks
    • |
    OOhh, Halloween. I think I'll take my daughter trick or treating. Sound safer.
    • |
    Grand Centennial Excursion Railroad, Sarajevo Bobsled, Shockwave, Psyclone, Terminator: Salvation, Apocalypse
    • |
    Holy Cow...Rob Zombie AND Alice Cooper together! That's pretty cool. Well as cool as it was when they went on tour for a whopping 8 shows in 8 cities so random (Cheyenne, WY anyone?) that only a precious few where able to witness it.
    • |
    Looks like Jaws needs a paint job.....

Excellent update though everyone!
    • |
    First Shockwave, then Psyclone, and then Terminator/Apocalypse. I think the train to Spillikan Corners might have touched the area as well.
    • |
    Great update, never ceases to amaze me how much is crammed into one week of updates. And I work on it.

As for the SFMM question ... this one is a little harder. Not going to say if anybody is right or wrong yet, but there are certainly some "incomplete" answers.
    • |
    Giveaway question answer:

Psyclone, Terminator Salvation: The Ride, Apocalypse: The Ride, Sarajevo Bobsleds (I have an old rusty button of that one!), and wasn't Shock Wave (the first stand up coaster) there too? Might also include the train that used to travel around the Spillikin Corners "land" as well.,
    Updated 08-22-2011 at 03:50 AM by Crazee4mm
    • |
    Great Update!!
    • |
    Giveaway Question Answer:
    Sarajevo Bobsleds, Psyclone, Terminator Salvation: The Ride and Apocalypse.
    • |
    Nice update, looking forward to all the new stuff.

Giveaway Question Answer: Three rides have stood in that location. Psyclone, Terminator Salvation: The Ride, and Apocalypse.
    • |
    Spillikin Corners is now Cyclone Bay
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy
    Is that the old Munster house they are using in that commercial? I wish they never would have made it modern..
    It's actually the Chicken Ranch. The Chicken Ranch was built for "The Best Little Whore House in Texas." The Munster house is on Colonial Street which is now known as Wisteria Lane.
    • |
    Is that the old Munster house they are using in that commercial? I wish they never would have made it modern..
    • |
    The results of the random-draw are in and the winner is ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerm
    Spillikin Corners is one of those places I will never forget! I miss it!
    Thank you all for playing. We will have another question for Friday's In The Parks and another winner next week!!!

Jerm, I will be contacting you via PM for your shipping information.
    • |
    Nice update! Answer is Spillikin Corners.

Timekeeper
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by OriginalMousekteer
    Spillikin Corners and I worked there opening season-1977 in the glass shop. That's where I first met Ron Schneider, who would later become the original Dreamfinder at EPCOT. Back then he was a streatmosphere performer named Professor Spillikin. I also saw him star in an L.A. production of A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum.

Spillikin Corners was the brainchild of MM VP of Merchandise, Frank Kennedy. He was known in the industry as "five-percent Frank" for his expectation of money under the table from vendors. He was fired by MM after the 1981 summer season. He and his son Gary were convicted of fraud for the 1984 World's Fair in New Orleans.

Spillikin was patterned after the crafts program at the Silver Dollar City parks (one of which is now Dollywood). The cast costumes were created by renowned costume designer Eloise Jensen (and carried her label in the waist or collar). There was a near-mutiny by the craftspeople partway through the first summer over issues of control and off-season employment. Management was too accustomed to dealing with 18-year-olds, not older, experienced, independent-minded craftspeople.

It was a fun summer, but ultimately doomed to fail. The merchandising demographics couldn't support the labor-intensive overhead.
    Very interesting story!
    • |

Thanks for the inside look on the construction of the new maze for Knotts Halloween Haunt. It should be real scary.

Disneyland Park and DCA look great.