Blog Comments

• |
    Aww, Al didn't like TRON??? I thought it was really good.
    • |
    h
    • |
    Great update, we were there this weekend also and although the rain was there all weekend the parks had super light crowds which was nice.
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by JADP
    Also I was told that D23 has no phone number. Does any one know if thats true?
    I just interviewed the Disney Geek and your question did get answered along with both an email address and phone number: http://micechat.com/forums/d23-disne...y-epstein.html

Good luck to you - I hope your son gets his card in time for Christmas!

Dusty
    • |
    Also I was told that D23 has no phone number. Does any one know if thats true?
    • |
    This is off topic but my Mom bought my Son a D23 membership clear back on Nov 23rd and at the time it said online that the membership card would arrive in 5-7 days and the whole kit in 3 weeks. On Dec 9th I called dineystore.com because he hadn't even recieved his card, the lady on the phone said she would send D23 the message and get back to me the next day, well that never happend! I called today and got the same story, "they were on back order and I will send them a message and get back to you", so I askes to speak to a supervisor who told be the same thing, with the added information that my Son would NOT be recieving his card in time for Christmas and that there was nothing she could do. I told her she needed to tell D23 to express mail it to us and she said she would get back to me in 1-2 days...Okay??? What the heck? I told her I have never been treated like this by Disney and that I spend thousands of dollars every year on Disney, but she didnt care. I cant believe we havnt even gotten the card! It is also intresting to note that the website now says 10-12days to get the card, but before said 5-7, eiather way it should have been her long ago.
    Has this happend to any one else? Any tips?
    • |
    If "How to Train Your Dragon" beats "Toy Story 3" it might be because many voters thought it was even better. TS3 was VERY good, but I liked Toy Story parts 1 & 2 and "How to Train Your Dragon" even more.

I thought there'd be more discussion about the DCA ideas. I think the Toy Story army men would make for a drab, ugly ride. It would fit right in at the Paris studios park.

And speaking of unique attractions, add Soarin' Over the World to WDW, but keep Soarin' Over California in California. And let us soar over France or all of Europe in Paris, and China in China, and Japan in Japan, please. I'd travel for those rides if they were done as well as the original Soarin' film.

No to anything based on the Narnia movies.

Yes to a DCA version of Club 33, but please keep it as inconspicuous as Walt Disney made Club 33, so all guests can feel like they are getting first-class treatment.
    Updated 12-20-2010 at 04:05 PM by jcruise86
    • |
    I'm deleting this dupe. post
    Updated 12-20-2010 at 04:03 PM by jcruise86 (Dulicate)
    • |
    I loved seeing what the plans were for DCA, and what obviously was scrapped, like the Toy Story Musical. I hope that show goes another ten years as it's always kept fresh due to the Genie... TS Musical, not so much.

I haven't seen Tron yet, but Al may not have liked the movie. That's not gonna stop me from watching, but the movie isn't doing as well as expected in the box office. Considering it cost over $300 million to market, make, and distribute Tron Legacy, Al may not be far off...

There will always be a disconnect between Movie Critics and Movie Viewers. Most critics went to school for cinema, and understand how to tell a story, and aren't "fooled" by bells and whistles... computer graphics... fancy 3D. But Movie Viewers are the audience who pay for the movies. What I want is a popcorn movie that is also a high quality film... off the top of my head, Back to the Future.

Personally, I don't always agree with their ratings (like for The Other Guys, or the new Star Wars Movies... I won't watch them again), I do agree with some of their choices (Loved Scott Pilgrim and hated the Last Airbender). And I agree, that there is no reason to have a fourth Pirates movie... the last two were... mediocre. The first was awesome, and I'll leave it at that.
    • |
    TRON Legacy...I haven't seen it, but am looking forward to it, regardless of the reviews. I think reviewers, in most cases, go to movies looking for imperfections and things to scrutinize in order to have something interesting to write...or more of the case, be heard. I did however take my 7 year old boy and 5 year old girl to see Yogi Bear...the boy and I wanted to see Tron, but the girl, as they will do, overruled. I bring this up because Yogi is getting absolutely panned on Rotten Tomatoes at 13% (Tron is at 49%). The sad part is most of the reviewers take it from their perspectives as adults watching a kids movie...hardly any of them take a kid with them as I can see. If you have young kids and want a good watch, YB is a GOOD movie!! There are absolutely no scary scenes or bad language, just good wholesome fun. So, if you're on the fence to see it or not, I would recommend it, for youngsters. Believe me, I'm not about to put this in any of my favorites, but it was refreshing not having to explain anything, or dodge innuendos or worse, hold the kids' hands as they sat in fear watching some terrifying scene.

I hope they don't take out the Nature Trail in CA...it's a great spot to hang out in. But if some rad ride went in, I won't whine.
    • |
    [QUOTE=Seawolf;bt15430]Al isn't the only one who thinks that Tron was a bad movie, between all the top critics Tron scored 31%:
    [URL="http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10011582-TRON_legacy/"]Tron Legacy Movie Reviews, Pictures - Rotten Tomatoes[/URL]

Btw, in case you forgot this is his website not yours. He has a right to state his opinion.[/QUOTE]

While I will defend Al and critics' opinions, I don't think they should dictate others' opinions. I loved TRON Legacy and respect that many did not.
    • |
    Great column Andy!

If it wasn't for Tron's visual effects it would be a terrible film, like the cute dumb girl in high school. And Al you do what you want you don't owe anyone an explaination!
    • |
    Thanks for a great column Andy!

Tron Legacy is like the typical cute guy or girl, nice to look at but that's all they have to offer. Just saying. And Al you do what you want if people don't like it tough! Like my friend's mother always said "You don't owe anyone an explaination!"
    • |
    For one who says they don't go to movies much, they sure do have a opinion on a new film that's not even out yet.
    • |
    Thanks for the great update, Andy! Kudos to Fishbulb for going up in that Funwheel in the rain! The rainy day shots are amazing!
    • |
    Great update - it will be fun over the next two years to figure out the "what's next" for DCA! Knowing that Iger is more hands on with things is going to make it all very interesting.

It looks like I got out of there just in time to beat the rain, it looks truly miserable there. Thank you for all the pictures just the same -- and Fishy! I hope you had a warm drink waiting for you after being out taking all those pictures.
    • |
    As I said on youtube:
    I agree that Disney is not treating its employees fairly. However, the workers at PIXAR who created Toy Story 3 have NOTHING to do with what's going on. I disagree that PIXAR should pay for what Disney is doing. Something has to be done yes. However, not this.
    • |
    I also have a problem with the tactic of the union, its been going on so long now that if its possible Disney should just fire them all and rehire them under a different union. I also do not understand why the union has decided to protest against the studio division. Pixar along with the rest of the animation department has no say in the fight between Burbank and the union. Picketing Toy story in any way just shows how bad the people that run the union have handled this situation and at this point it seems like they do not care about their members and just want the extra union fees.

Put me in the list that enjoyed TRON along with the other 6 friends that went and saw it.
    • |
    The issue with Al's comment isn't whether or not he has the right to say it; of course he does, whether or not this is his blog. I think it can safely be said that Al respects his blog readers as much as most of us respect his blog. The problem I have with the comment is that I haven't seen TRON yet and, as someone who reads this site daily, a comment like that is going to stay with me and (possibly) alter my perspective on a movie that I've waited a long time to see. Frankly, the same could be said about both LA Times articles about upcoming Disney movies included in this update.

I stopped watching Siskel and Ebert 10 years before it went off the air because they were phenomenal about giving away plot points and taking movies I wanted to see and running them into the ground. While I appreciate Al not doing that, his comment was nothing short of derisive and takes a little bit of the wind out of my sails when it comes to the movie.
    • |
    You know, I really think that the union is being really whiny. They could always quit and find another job--oh wait, there IS no other jobs! Well, then suck it up, buttercup, because at least you have a job. This is a hopeless ploy to try and protest. But Disney Parks and Resorts is a totally different area than Disney PIXAR. Don't they know that they are most likely not going to get what they want? This is Disney we're talking about here. And Disney, as a business, has every right to deny them this. Sorry.