Blog Comments

• |
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadoo
    Also, with the trolley wires going down the streets in California Adventure, what is that going to do for the parades there? Does that mean shorter (in height), less elaborate floats?

In the press release about the return of the Pixar Play Parade, it was mentioned that at least one of the floats (the one where Jack Jack's hair catches on fire) has been repurposed so that it isn't as tall, due to the wires. I remember when DCA was constructed, how the Performance Corridor was designed so that bigger and taller parade floats could be accommodated. Now that there are "authentic" wires overhead (which I hate, btw), a ceiling has been put in place where even some of the previously existing floats have already exceeded the new maximum height requirement and must be shortened.
    Updated 04-16-2012 at 05:49 PM by Crazee4mm (Spelling correction)
    • |
    Workers were adding some "finishing touches" to the re-paint by throwing mud around the base of the mountain.

I'd like to know just exactly what it is they are doing here. Is it colored concrete "mud" or real mud? Either way, I don't see how that actually look authentic. BUT, they aren't done yet, so I guess we'll have to wait.

Also, with the trolley wires going down the streets in California Adventure, what is that going to do for the parades there? Does that mean shorter (in height), less elaborate floats?
    • |
    i would lean more to liking the wires over the trolly tracks. i think it gives the area that much more of an authentic feel.. also in the photos i see "GROUNDS" banners on some of the wires; im not an expert but that makes me believe the wires actually serve a purpose as (i would assume) those banners show the grounded electrical cables. maybe those cables really do and will power the trolly?
    • |
    Thanks for the update!
    • |
    Awesome update as always! I was there last night for the final elecTRONica and it was an emotional night for the cast and for the guests as well. Many tears were shed as the clock ran down to 10pm. I hope many of the talented cast members return as part of The Mad T Party!
    • |
    Regarding the moving of swing dancing to Downtown Disney - I doubt that swing dancing will return to Disneyland when the construction is complete, and I also have my doubts that swing dancers will want to dance at Downtown Disney. Part of the problem with Downtown Disney is that the area in front of the stage is largely unprotected from pedestrian traffic; the Carnation Plaza dance area has a well defined area that makes it clear where dancers are supposed to be and where spectators are supposed to be. Also, the dance floor in Carnation plaza is smoother which allows for more of the twisting movements that swing dancers like; on rougher surfaces this is hard on the knees. So unless Disney decides to put a portable dance floor in place I don't think many people will feel comfortable dancing at Downtown Disney. Also, Downtown Disney is a different crowd and atmosphere than the Plaza Gardens area. It takes a certain kind of personality to want to start dancing in the middle of a plaza to 40's era music and I don't think there are enough of those folks who will brave the crowds who attend House of Blues for example.

I also think that the long timeframe for the Fantasy Faire stage construction will likely turn off many swing dancers. Forever, Orange County dance venues have left Saturday night free to not compete with Disneyland - however, with this night open, many others will try to fill this void. Swing dancers who used to have Premium annual passes will have a whole year (maybe more?) to watch their pass expire and wonder if it's worth the cost to renew; many will probably just take the attitude of wait and see until Fantasy Faire re-opens. In the meantime, they will find other dance venues and it will be a much harder job to get inertia to flow back to Disneyland even if the bands are booked. And given how impatient Disneyland management seems to be these days, if it takes longer than a year of booking good swing bands to bring attendance levels back up, they will probably just scrap it.

I will enjoy the last two Saturday nights of swing dancing at Disneyland and I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not optimistic that it will return. It's been a good time, but I guess all good things have to come to an end.
    • |
    Anxious to see the finished Matterhorn in person this summer! Thanks for the update!
    • |
    Thats a bummer... when I first heard about the high speed rail going down California I was so excited to be able to take the train directly from San Francisco to Anaheim (not like the SF to LA portion is even happening anytime soon)
    Also the wires they put up around the Carthay Circle are actually rather cool looking its the one's down BVS that I don't like. Though I said that about Hollywood Blvd. wires and now I think they don't look half bad.
    • |
    I guess since I've lived in Pasadena and vicinity around the Gold Line commuter trains for so long, and, ride the trains to downtown LA for work every day, I'm used to seeing catenary wires and they don't bother me. I really hope that once the Red Cars are operating and folks see the whole picture in context, they'll change their minds about them.
    • |
    The DLR has so much to be proud of. Can't wait to visit next summer!
    • |
    ^ No they aren't, they are not powered by the wires.
    • |
    The wires, besides looking authentic, are the power source for the streetcars unlike the trolleys at The Grove and Americana at Brand which are battery powered. If you've been to a city like San Francisco which has street cars (not talking about the cable cars which are pulled by a cable) and electrified trolleybuses, there's a wonderful sound of the trolley pole as it crosses from junction to junction, along with the occasional sparking. I'm sure it will be more quiet at DCA since the track is flat and only runs back and forth.
    • |
    I am actually sad that the Plaza Gardens is closing. Another great thing us adults lose at Disneyland. I loved the Big Bands. I'm aware of it going to DTD, but it was part of what I liked about the park. I've spent so many saturdays on warm summer evenings grabbing dinner and heading straight over there, sometimes that would be the only reason I came to the park.
    I think it would be ideal for them to put something like that up over at Hollywood Land or whatever they are gonna call it now. Wouldn't that fit in that timeline? It may not be for everybody, but I think it's something I'd much rather see then that god awful sounding Mad Hatter Rockin' Party or whatever lame excuse to get another horrible house band to play bad music.
    • |
    I will admit that at first glance, only seeing photos, I was totally against the wires. They truly are something that needs to be seen in person in order to see how they look. I'm now fine with them.

As was said, they aren't the most aesthetically pleasing thing, but they look fine and aren't anywhere near as distracting in person as they are in pictures.
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by Petchaurus
    Thanks for the update. Count me as a fan against the wires. If i were a gambling man, i would bet that they will be removed in years to come.
    I'm surprised by the support of them with all the photo taking love on this site. It makes me sad that there will be such an eyesore just for the sake of authenticity. If you look at main street and compare it to the time period it is not completely time period authentic; but it still has plenty of charm and atmosphere. However, I do respect different opinions so do not hold it against.
    Wonderful photos and update.
    I find your comment interesting as MOST people in the forums talk about how cheap Disney is by not being authentic enough. They say they take short cuts and really are not giving the fans the experience that holds up to Disney. Yet, your comment is stating to sacrifice authenticity for better pictures. That's interesting. :0)

I for one, would rather have authenticity over good pictures. I wonder if you could photo shop the wires out??? Hmmm....

I do agree, great photos and update!
    • |
    Great update
    i am with high speed rail but I heard the LA metro os making there high speed rail form la to anahim and it would be separate from California State high-speed rail system
    • |
    [QUOTE=BestBeatingHeart;bt22928]Train is still on for Anaheim...

[URL="http://totalbuzz.ocregister.com/2012/04/13/anaheim-back-on-high-speed-rail-route/84345/"]Anaheim back on high-speed rail route - Total Buzz - The Orange County Register : The Orange County Register[/URL][/QUOTE]

That still doesn't make the whole thing any less of a horrible idea...
    • |
    • |
    Thanks for the update. Count me as a fan against the wires. If i were a gambling man, i would bet that they will be removed in years to come.
    I'm surprised by the support of them with all the photo taking love on this site. It makes me sad that there will be such an eyesore just for the sake of authenticity. If you look at main street and compare it to the time period it is not completely time period authentic; but it still has plenty of charm and atmosphere. However, I do respect different opinions so do noy hold it against.
    Wonderful photos and update.
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoHarley
    I have to say, I don't like the Trolley Car wires overhead. It makes the scene look junky and ruins the ability to take nice pictures. I have a feeling that a lot of people are going to complain about the wires and in a year or two Disney will have to take them all down.

I also have to say that Carsland has officially won me over. I do not like the Cars movies, and I thought the idea of a Carsland was stupid...but it's come out really charming and unique and I think it's going to be a massive hit. I probably won't ride any of the rides there but I am sure I will take pictures of it to show my friends.