Blog Comments

• |
    Wonderful update! So excited to see Cars Land finally close to open!
    • |
    Thanks the excitement builds everyday
    is ghiradelli a factory you are or a store
    • |
    Nice update, as usual. The park was mellow Sunday morning. Walk on to Star Tours and Buzz just after eight. Indiana Jones was too bumpy for me, and the puns on the Jungle Cruise made me groan, but at least they're new. The snack bar near the Jedi Academy has a good breakfast platter, but Zocatela's Mexican food was horrible. Does anyone else get envious when they see people enjoying the Magic Mornings?
    • |
    Unless I'm not seeing it right, there doesn't seem to be any curbs outside of the fountain area, so I'm wondering if the street is wide enough to put guests on the concrete for parade viewing, or if they just won't allow guests to watch from the center?
    • |
    How come I can't get the Mattercam anymore? Click on the link and all you get is a snippet of a messageboard.
    • |
    Great Update! Can't wait to see the revamped California Adventure
    • |
    oops again....sorry!! =)
    Updated 05-29-2012 at 01:21 PM by dgpollard
    • |
    oops...sorry.
    Updated 05-29-2012 at 01:20 PM by dgpollard
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by DisW
    One big thing that I've long admired about Disney is its ability to often do things that are so impressive, clever, creative and skilled that it's impossible to second guess them. That it's normally a case of "how did they do that so well?!!, or "how much talent does it take to achieve that??!"

That's why I'm puzzled by and bothered about:

1) The window covered with the red shutters to the left of the open, regular window on the 2nd floor of the Carnation Cafe. Why?

2) The grade (or height/dimensions or texture) of the streets, curb and sidewalks in the new Buena Vista street are merely suggested, which ruins the illusion of a real city street. Why? Is Disney concerned about lawsuits from visitors who trip on a real curb? Is it to make it easier for the small number of people in wheelchairs? Is it because it costs less to have one large flat surface, with merely colors or different material to represent curbs and sidewalks?

3) Why are there gangly- and modern-looking floodlights and speakers attached to aluminum-colored poles attached to the top of the traditional-looking street lights on Buena Vista? Designers at Disney who don't sweat the details, a lack of a big enough budget to do a better job, or something else?

After the failure of DCA over 10 years ago, I keep hoping the folks at Disney will finally do such a good job on the park, that no longer can they not be second guessed, but they'll totally dazzle even the most picky, finicky observer.
    1- In the past, that window that you speak of was actually an exposed window (just like the other). Over recent years, someone decided that it might look either interesting to have a "shutter-closed" appearance on that window or it serves as some sort of vent for some modern piece of modern mechanical equipment that has been added. There are usually reasons behind every detail that you see....even if that detail does look a bit off.

2- I agree with you. It looks off not having that central hub, as you walk in, not being the same elevation as that of the sidewalks just across the "street". You're right: it looses its authenticity and frankly just looks awful. It could be that someone was worried about people tripping there, when the crowds are huge, just as they leave the park at night, etc. But, people do still know how to walk and pick their feet up onto curbs because that detail exisits in Disneyland at Town Square and at the Central Plaza area near the castle, right? Of course for A.D.A. compliance, ramps at the curbs have been added. But, over in California adventure park Buena Vista Street, it's only the sidewalks elevated....weird and annoying! But alas, I have gotten over it. =)

3- Once again, I agree. Those lights on top of the overhead cable-support extensions, look out of place....big time! Again, over in Disneyland, the modern parade lights fold down mostly out of sight on the roof tops of Main Street. But over on Buena Vista Street and Carthay Circle, you will always see the parade lights on display. Weird and just plain ugly. Oh well. Your guess is as good as mine...Budget reasons? Height consistancies for the parade floats? Who knows, but I am over it now! =)

Updated 05-29-2012 at 01:16 PM by dgpollard
    • |
    Thanks for the CCT night pics. LOVE it! Can we get some more of BVS?
    • |
    Thanks for the EXCELLENT update, Andy!
    Loved all the photos!

Prediction: the Earl of Sandwich will charge far more reasonable prices
    than the LaBrea Bakery
    for even better food
    and will make much, MUCH more
    money!
    • |
    The menu looks great. But wowie that's expesive! $22 for a burger??? You can get an "Angus" burger anywhere now days. And why are they showcasing "Tillamook" cheese by name? Sure it's a good product, but it's not like some exclusive cheese that they have to specially bring in! And why an Oregon cheese and not one from California??
    • |
    One big thing that I've long admired about Disney is its ability to often do things that are so impressive, clever, creative and skilled that it's impossible to second guess them. That it's normally a case of "how did they do that so well?!!, or "how much talent does it take to achieve that??!"

That's why I'm puzzled by and bothered about:

1) The window covered with the red shutters to the left of the open, regular window on the 2nd floor of the Carnation Cafe. Why?

2) The grade (or height/dimensions or texture) of the streets, curb and sidewalks in the new Buena Vista street are merely suggested, which ruins the illusion of a real city street. Why? Is Disney concerned about lawsuits from visitors who trip on a real curb? Is it to make it easier for the small number of people in wheelchairs? Is it because it costs less to have one large flat surface, with merely colors or different material to represent curbs and sidewalks?

3) Why are there gangly- and modern-looking floodlights and speakers attached to aluminum-colored poles attached to the top of the traditional-looking street lights on Buena Vista? Designers at Disney who don't sweat the details, a lack of a big enough budget to do a better job, or something else?

After the failure of DCA over 10 years ago, I keep hoping the folks at Disney will finally do such a good job on the park, that no longer can they not be second guessed, but they'll totally dazzle even the most picky, finicky observer.
    • |
    Fantastic detail shots!

Thank you for sharing them.
    • |
    Nice update, as always, but I am wondering why so many tilted photos? I understand the artistic expression there, but too much becomes annoying.

Too bad the garish T Party is in DCA. I think Downtown Disney would have been a much more appropriate location. T is hardly a family-friendly venue and even though the Hollywood area has some theming issues, this is hardly the best resolution. Downtown Disney is a much better place for hanging out and drinking.
    • |
    • |
    • |
    • |
    [QUOTE=miz bell;bt23938]Carthay Circle looks nice but it looks like any nice mall in California (but I guess I don't understand the whole Cal Adv theme choice anyway).[/QUOTE]

Haha, I kinda see that too. Cheesecake Factories have much nicer and more elaborate exteriors that the Carthay. Though I do have to say it does look nice and works in BVS.

However, I wish they made Grizzly Peak the icon when they originally built the park. Oh well
    • |
    Flynn's Arcade is a hundred billion times better than that Mad Hatter Arcade.

I want Flynn's back.

EDIT: Also, what is the point of having Kinect Disneyland Adventures in the arcade? If you are at the park, there's no reason to play Kinect Disneyland Adventures. YOU ARE AT DISNEYLAND!
    Updated 05-29-2012 at 06:37 AM by DarthBrian