Blog Comments

• |
    read this from Cal/OSHA
    California Code of Regulations, Title 8, Section 3209. Standard Guardrails.

the handrail most it come from Ball game My thinking.
    I know what disney have to do. there are new rules from Fire marshal. the new rule must be done now or you are shut down. My city was hit by the new Fire marshal rules to make it safety.
    • |
    See? Even the Orange County Register states that Carnation Plaza Gardens was part of Main Street.
    • |
    Couldn't they replace the whole railing in Golden Horseshoe with a taller railing? Or find a better looking fix, similar to the decorative wrought-iron railing they added in DCA? The way it looks right now is hideous.
    • |
    The new handrails and guardrails at the Golden Horseshoe look like they fit the ADA requirements, rather than OSHA. Given that those areas are used primarily by guests, it wouldn't make much sense for it to be an OSHA mandate (unlike Alice, which really only has CMs on the track). ADA requires a 40-42" guardrail on all sloped surfaces (stairs and ramps), along with a 34-36" handrail, which explains the 'triple rail' on the stairs. I believe that the guardrails around the edge of the balcony would also be 40-42".

There is some leeway in ADA for balconies of performance venues, meaning they could probably get away without the rails by the tables (as well as all the guardrails between the rows of the Hyperion; they could also seat guests in the front row of the balconies there too), but they would still need them on the stairs, and around the tops of the stairs.
    • |
    As a Horseshoe regular I can tell you that this was mandated by CalOsha. I (as do most of us regulars) think this was unnecessary. Those railings have been that way since 1955 with no incidents whatsoever! But as tacky as they look I am just so thankful the balcony is now once again open. Having it closed made a major impact on the crowds inside for the shows.

Also, I just love the fact that now Disney is recording and showing us things that happen after dark on construction and removal. I think one of the best videos was when they moved an elephant over from Jungle Cruise to the backstage area by helicopter and it "flew" past the castle like Dumbo!
    • |
    Can't they do better with those handrails at the Golden Horseshoe? It seems as if they put absolutely no thought into the design, which looks so obviously tacked-on.

I would have liked to see some tempered glass with period-appropriate etchings and hardware.
    • |
    Great update!
    • |
    The handrails at the Golden Horseshoe look absolutely awful.. What were they thinking??
    • |
    Wow! They're not wasting any time getting rid of the Carnation Plaza Gardens. I'm a little ambivalent about the whole project. The new Fantasy Faire sounds amazing. And there is no better location for this than being right next to Sleeping Beauty Castle.
    But it's such an historic part of Disney history. It was Walt's little bit of high end entertainment, and big name acts wanted to play there for him.
    But it has been (in my opinion) the largest amount of unused dead space in the park. The majority of the time it sits empty. Nobody goes there, except for the occasional park guest who is aware of the "secret private restroom".
    Space is hard to come by at The Disney Resort. And it's always been the goal of TDA to make the best of what's available. So I can see why this project was put into place. I'll surely miss an iconic area of Disneyland. But as Walt said, [I]"Disneyland will never be completed, as long as there is imagination left in the world."[/I]
    • |
    Great Update!
    • |
    Great update/pics as always!

The main reasons I love Miceage so much aside from Al's "once a year" Tuesday updates (though Kevin does an awesome job,) are Mondays and Fridays.

But I do have a question if anyone happens to know what the skinny on this is:

How are they going to cover up the toothpick marks in the mountain range?

It seems as though the tops of the rock work are dull and faded looking while the bottoms are bright and colorful. I keep hoping that they aren't going to just spot paint and leave the tops faded. I know they are going for dry and arid but big thunder does it colorfully and beautifully.

I also noticed that they've applied dark shades in certain areas of the top of the mountain range, so maybe they'll be applying some colorful stain to coat it all in so the dark colors show through?

Or maybe they'll cover each toothpick row with a streak of it's own different "era sediment" color?

Am I even in the ball park here?

Thanks fellow mice-chatters!
    • |
    I haven't been inside the Golden Horseshoe in quite awhile. Is the handrail down the center of the stairs new as well?
    • |
    Great Update! The copula looks amazing. Cannot wait to see the rest of CCT.
    • |
    Thanks for the update.
    Am I the only person who finds all that blue on the Disneyland hotel to be a little much and kinda unattractive?
    Maybe it looks better in person than photo's.
    • |
    Thanks for the update Andy!
    • |
    A Matterhorn movie. I have the same feeling of excitement and trepidation that I had when I heard they were doing a Pirates movie. Keeping my fingers crossed about the movie. BUT hopefully this will mean some major, long overdue upgrades to the mighty Matterhorn. I know there's rumors out there of re-painting it (which is MASSIVELY over due) and an even murkier rumor of a new AA yeti, but with a movie behind it (and god, please, let it make gobs of dough), it seems upgrades may be coming after all! Love it!
    • |
    nice update
    • |
    I tried ordering something from there once, but without the item # it was useless. If you find the number for the spiderweb shirt please let me know!!! TY!

Quote Originally Posted by DL4DJ&JULES
    Me too! I also would like the BOO T-shirt.

I know I can call DelivEARS to order, but could I email as well? I haven't used DelivEARS for quite sometime.

THANKS

PS...Love the updates...and the music
    • |
    Actually, those planters have been there for a long time. That backstage corridor is visible from guest rooms at the Grand Californian, so they've been landscaped for a while.
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by hrimaliv
    would anyone be able to send me the item number for the T-shirt with the Spiderweb on it so I can order it online? THANK YOU! :-)
    Me too! I also would like the BOO T-shirt.

I know I can call DelivEARS to order, but could I email as well? I haven't used DelivEARS for quite sometime.

THANKS

PS...Love the updates...and the music