Blog Comments

• |
    Wow, thanks for the Busan pictures! I lived there for a year way back in 1996. Ahh, memories...
    • |
    I believe those are Stone Fish which are a type of fish that ambushes their prey. They look like rocks and remain motionless on the sea floor or among other rocks and wait for a small fish to swim by. Then...GULP! Pretty cool fish!

BUT, I could be wrong! I first thought they were oysters. But the bright white on them lead me to believe they are Stone Fish.
    • |
    Would love to see the SS Columbia at American Waterfront in full signal flags and pennants to add to its Christmas departure. Wonder if James Cameron will take a tour of this ship, being slightly shorter than the HMS Titanic? Being of 1912 vintage, it's the oldest steamship in the Disney fleet of cruisers. PD
    Updated 11-26-2011 at 07:59 PM by DisWedWay
    • |
    I love those vintage pics of Disneyland. It makes you realize the historic significance of the park to the Southern California area...if not the world.
    • |
    Great photos from Tokyo. I was just out there for Halloween and was blown away by how much attention to detail they showed in all their decorations. Seeing all the Christmas decorations is making me think my next trip out there will have to be at Christmastime.
    • |
    I love seeing the different decorations at the parks. Wouldn't it be cool if our monorails were "wrapped" inside like the ones in Japan?

Thanks for sharing!
    • |
    I agree, another great update!
    • |
    Great update by everyone! Thanks!
    • |
    Nice update!

Timekeeper
    • |
    I agree, having been to TDL. The roof over World Bazaar is very ugly and makes the entire land, and entrance, way below Disney standards. Especially with almost everything else being so perfect, it's a real eyesore. They could replace it with a more period appropriate Crystal Palace kind of canopy if they're so afraid of getting their guests wet.

The Toystory Playland in Hong Kong has the same problem as the one in Paris; most of these toys aren't known outside of the US. So people walking there won't feel like they've shrunken to be as big as their childhood toys. They'll just see weird shaped fences and funny monkeys, without instantly recognizing them as toys.

I like how they've used nostalgic toys that will make many babyboom American warm inside. But Barrel of Monkeys? The game of Cootie? Lincoln Logs?! They don't even have non-English wikipedia pages. It's a total waste of money putting them in non American parks.

It would be like making a Playland in Anaheim consisting of http://fotos.marktplaats.com/kopen/4...qhZbopFA==.jpg and http://www.jolanda-online.nl/weblog/miniminiloco.jpg and http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...pampetspel.jpg
    • |
    I didn't think the roof would bother me that much until I went to TDL for the first time this past February. It is not only awful looking but also prevents almost any trees from being on Main St. There is simply minimal flora.

Second, I was there in February and a roof high over our heads did not protect against the cold at all. And Tokyo is rather temperate not getting too cold or hot all year round (full disclosure: I lived in Japan for two years).

It rains a lot in Orlando as well, maybe not as much as Tokyo, but it is substantial and they deal without a roof quite nicely. The roof of TDL is a blight on the entrance. Another problem with the entrance is the lack of the tunnel under the rail station (the TDL railroad does not go around the berm of the park! It's short and doesn't even stop at Main St.). Sometimes OLC and WDI do NOT know better.

TDL is certainly nice, but it can't hold a candle to the original Disneyland, and it is not perfect as many on this board make it out to be. One of these days I'll get around to a full trip report with the good, the bad and the ugly of TDL.
    • |
    From Wiki...

Orlando - "The average annual rainfall in Orlando is 48.35 inches (122.8 cm)"

Tokyo - "Annual rainfall averages nearly 1,530 millimetres (60.2 in)"

The roof also provides a large area for Guests that protects them against the cold in the winter and the extreme heat in the summer.

One may not like the looks of the roof, but those in the know (OLC, WDI, ,and most anyone who have actually visited TDR) can appreciate the functional reason behind the decision to cover the "World Bazaar".
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by indianajack
    I can't put into words how much I detest the ceiling cover over TDL's Main St. It destroys the quaint ambiance of what should be one of the most charming parts of the park.
    Sorry, but I couldn't disagree with you more. I think this is a cool feature of the park, one that I hope to experience for myself someday.
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by Wreckless Abrandon
    TDL's Roof over the World Bazaar may be hideous to some of us that grew up with California or Florida's Main Street, but you have to realize that it was put in for weather reasons. It doesn't snow often in Anaheim or Orlando, so we have the opportunity to have an open sky.
    It doesn't snow often in Tokyo either, they get some light dustings but rarely more than that. It rains but not more than Florida so the roof in Tokyo is an unnecessary eyesore. Tear down the wretched roof!
    • |
    You know, as someone who has actually BEEN to the Paris Toy Story Playland with young children, I will tell you they LOVED that land, and still talk about it. I also found it to be very well themed for what it is, and BETTER themed than (BLASPHEMY!) Dumbo and the Mad Hatter Teacups. It is amazing when everyone criticizes these for being off-the-shelf carnival rides, when some of the most beloved rides in Disneyland are basically the same level.
    • |
    Toy Story Land looks awful, but I do appreciate the photos of it and everything else this week!
    • |
    I have to agree that Tokyo Disneyland's Christmas decorations look spectacular and Toy Story Playland at Hong Kong Disneyland looks like it was designed by Paul Pressler for the original DCA. Certainly not worthy of a park with 'Disneyland" in its title.

I've got to go visit that ICE exhibit one of these years.

Thanks all for another fantastic update.
    • |
    Great update! Toy Story land looks pretty cheap. :/
    • |
    ​Great weekend update!
    • |
    TDL's Roof over the World Bazaar may be hideous to some of us that grew up with California or Florida's Main Street, but you have to realize that it was put in for weather reasons. It doesn't snow often in Anaheim or Orlando, so we have the opportunity to have an open sky.

I gotta say that I love how elaborate the TDL decor is. And compared to WDW's leftovers @ Anaheim, TDL's stuff looks like the Sistene Chapel.

The Ice Sculptures kinda weird me out... they look like giant gummy bears or something.