Blog Comments

• |
    Enjoyed all the photos, as usual, but, especially enjoyed the Dollywood ones from last week, as I really want to go there someday. I will also add the Biltmore Estate to my "to do" list, now that I know it is not that far from Dollywood. Thanks for sharing!
    • |
    Thanks for the great photos, everyone!
    • |
    Great reports.
    The Biltmore is worth the trip, especially in Autumn, and the Holidays. There are a few great restaurants there. Another one is at their winery, on the estate. They offer wine tastings, and the restaurant has some of the best duck you've ever tasted. (if you like duck).

If you love gardens, visit Biltmore in Autumn before they mulch and mow. The house is beautiful at Christmas.
    • |
    So that's what's been done to Marine World Africa USA, which was what Discovery Kingdom was called the last time I was there, before Six Flags took over.

Great America is to the south, in Santa Clara. Though that's the Cedar Fair owned one. I wonder if it's Tidal Wave is still in DK's parking lot.
    • |
    The Six Flags park in Nor Cal is Discovery Kingdom not Great America.
    • |
    I wish I had a bootleg copy of Song of the South. That's the only reason I read this since nothing else is about Disney, you put that at the end, and made me read everything else.
    • |
    Thanks for the Dollywood info. I'm planning a trip to Dollywood sometime next year and you've increased my interest in heading out there. Cool!
    • |
    Those postcards really are beautiful
    • |
    Ohhh that Matt Lanter's a cutie! Thanks for posting
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa
    Great update!
    Is it just me or does Dollywood look better than Knott's?
    Having been to both this year, Dollywood IS better than Knott's... in some ways. The way Knott's has grown leaves me very unsettled - I love a new coaster, but cramming things in and over top of the profound history of the place never sets well.

At Dollywood, the history isn't as long (yet) but the new things have (so far) been built out rather than over. It's a luxury they have with the land Knott's doesn't. Also, the location is gorgeous, and the terrain really enhances the attractions.

This year is Dollywood's 25th anniversary (of the Dollywood era - there were previous attractions there prior to the Dolly name) and they even have a great exhibition of photos and old ride vehicles in the Hall of Memories.

Class act and beautiful park.
    • |
    Great update!
    Is it just me or does Dollywood look better than Knott's?
    • |
    Rixter; Thanks for the kind words about my collection and the posting of the French postcards. I look forward to the Weekend Update all week. Keep up the good work.

DisneylandPostcards.net
    DisneylandPostcards.blogspot.com
    • |
    Dollywood is such a beautiful park. It's been ages since I have been there. I always loved to watch them make candles.
    • |
    Loved the early Paris postcards with the Disney family checking out all the cities historical landmarks, before EDL was born. I drove by the Concorde monumment 2 times a day for over 1 year.
    • |
    I was at Dollywood about 12 years ago when my Dad took my Sister and I on a two week tour of Tennesse, (my Dad has since gone on to be with the Lord), but this takes me back a bit. I thought it was a fun place, well done and cute. Tennesse has goreous mountains and pigieon forge is a funky, kitchy town in the hills, with a ton of wedding chapels and country music shows. Not far from there we also went to some caves, which was cool and people in that part of the country are way nicer then they tend to be any where else. I lived in Texas for 3 years and although people there are also wonderful you dont have the beauty like in TN.
    Thanks for helping me take a minute today to recall a fun trip spent with my Dad, (Disneyland has that effect of nostalga on me as well and I am sure thats part of the pull). Great report!
    • |
    Insane does explain that Mystery Mine ride. Won't be getting on that thing ever!!
    • |
    The Dollywood photos are cool. I have been meaning to visit this place for some time now...

And the stormtrooper in drag... hahahaha!
    • |
    Great update! Thanks to all!
    • |
    Nice pictures! And May I say, that there were some nice looking ladies in some photos? No? ok, I wont...
    anyhow great Update, Im gonna check out the raiders of the Lost Jedi now. bye!
    • |
    Years before Dolly's theme park became "Dollywood", it was called "Goldrush Junction". It featured a train ride and an old western town. Here is the brochure for Goldrush Junction:
    [ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelwender/2760846935/"]Goldrush Junction Brochure: Outside | Flickr - Photo Sharing!@@AMEPARAM@@http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3173/2760846935_ea57a16e3e_m.jpg@@AMEPARAM@@2760846935@ @AMEPARAM@@ea57a16e3e[/ame]