Blog Comments

• |
    Yes! This is just what I was searching for. I knew you had posted a Marceline trip report somewhere. I think we're going to try to go next year.
    • |
    Why does this have no comments?
    This is a wonderfully written article, I wish more people like you and I knew about this Walt, not the Walt created by brand images.

Oh well, it just leave us to spread the word.
    • |
    Thanks for the post, Tim. Losing Wally was sure a sad loss.
    • |
    While I congratulation Toy Story 3 for its nomination, I am saddened that Tangled got snubbed. Tangled is truly a great film and deserves best Animated film nomination. The Academy was just wrong to over look it.
    • |
    Wow, wish I could've been there, oh well, when does May 20th get here!!
    • |
    Awesome, awesome, awesome!
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage
    Tim, I'm so happy to see a classic Disney style Pooh movie. Nostalgic and new. I like it!
    I couldn't agree with you more. It's a great return to form by Disney to a franchise that deserves the attention.
    • |
    Tim, I'm so happy to see a classic Disney style Pooh movie. Nostalgic and new. I like it!
    • |
    Thank you!
    • |
    I disagree that 2 was better than 3.
    • |
    The first thing to remember about the Walt Disney Family Museum is that it is not owned or operated by The Walt Disney Company. It's operated by a private family foundation that doesn't have the deep pockets to do a lot of expensive advertising. This isn't a theme park. It's a museum that relies heavily on private donations and support from its patrons to continue operating.

As far as Richard Benefield, he was hired for his ability to run a museum, not for being a Disney fan. He's the first to admit that his knowledge about Walt Disney was limited at the time he was hired. He has since immersed himself in Disney history and now speaks quite well to it. In my conversation with him, he was enthusiastic about the collection, particularly the original concept art. He's very interested in Walt Disney as a person and supports the museum's mission in that respect. I found him to be neither arrogant nor smug. He was very pleasant to talk to and generous with his time.

Regarding the animators' strike, it explains why Walt was anti-Communist, not supposedly anti-Semitic. Certainly, there were Jews among the union organizers in Hollywood, but Jews were also running the studios in the 1930s and 40s. Louis B. Meyer (MGM), Carl Laemmle (Universal) and the Warner Brothers were all Jewish. It seems unlikely that Walt could've operated his studio in such an environment if he was anti-Semitic. B'nai B'rith even named Walt as their Man of the Year in 1955--hardly an honor you'd give to an anti-Semite. So, yes, for Benefield to say "that still baffles us," I think, is a fair statement-- and he followed it up with the very good anecdote from Richard Sherman.

I'm sorry you don't feel the museum is doing all it can to promote itself. I'd like to see it have a higher profile too, but it is what it is. I guess that's one of the reasons I wrote this article.
    • |
    So, I'm just curious -- anyone ask him why the museum's such a bust from an attendance standpoint? Or why they aren't visible in any meaningful way? I've read a couple of interviews with this guy and he comes across as unknowledgeable, uncharismatic and completely unaware of what interests Disney fans. Shouldn't he have a better answer for why Walt Disney is labeled an anti-Semite? (For instance, "Well, many of these allegations about Walt stem from the animators' strike, which was a very personal one. Many false rumors got started then, and as you know, false rumors can have an even longer life than real ones -- because they can't be disproven."

Something other than "that still baffles us."

I am concerned that this museum will be closed within a year, once again relegating these treasures and the history of this astounding, amazing man to the dustbin.

But so far, the Walt Disney Family Museum has just come across as smug, arrogant, detached and uninterested in participating with Disney's overall marketing efforts. It's an astounding place, I was fortunate enough to go in the first week of operation. But the people who are running it, especially this guy, seem to completely misunderstand Walt Disney's ideas. I think Diane has the right ideas, but needs someone who can execute the museum and its outreach with PASSION and EXCITEMENT and FUN.
    • |
    Fantastic trip report
    • |
    Great report...thanks! Can't wait to see it myself...glad the barracks at The Presido have been put to such great use...definately has changed their appearance!
    • |
    Thanks for your reflection, Tim.
    • |
    Most excellent. Thank you Tim!
    • |
    I may make the drive to Williams at the end of the month. It's only a few hours away. At the gateway to the Grand Canyon, it could make for a nice weekend.
    • |
    I'm so excited about this! And it's coming to Montana. I'll be making the trip up to the hi-line for this special event.