Blog Comments

• |
    I dunno, they are okay, but I must be the only person on this planet who just finds them merely average. I *really* miss the Golden Horseshoe Revue, and would take it in a second over the Billys. It's not that they're not entertaining, it's just that they don't belong in a venue like the Golden Horseshoe, that's sacred territory... they'd do so much better in the Festival of Fools area where there's not 56+ years of history and productions.

I hate to bring it up here, but Knott's has a WAY better cast of Old West characters... hilariously drop-dead funny and highly entertaining. They are quick on their feet and are true comedians. They also look and act a lot more authentic, without losing that comedic charm. The Laughingstock, and even the Billys, just seem like they're pandering to the crowd to me.

Anyway, it's just my opinion, I'm sure everyone has one, but I've just never really saw whatever it is that makes this group so appealing.
    • |
    Thanks, Sam!
    So which one is Kirk? (Photo please.) I want to know which one
    was in the great Golden Horseshoe Review. Replacing that show was one of my all-time least favorite decisions ever made by any Disney leaders,
    along with replacing the Peoplemover with Rocket Rods, and then replacing Rockets Rods with an abandoned, highly conspicuous Peoplemover track for many, many, many years. (And counting.)

At first (many years ago) I resented the Billies because they had this following and they were not The Golden Horseshoe Revue, but I came to appreciate them for the often excellent quartet(s) they are. I particularly loved their Hillybilly tributes to the Beatles!
    So there have been a number of Billy groups, and at least once, one gifted group (I think the one that did Beatles songs country style) was let go. Another group did (does?) a funny, brief Led Zeppelin tribute. Sam, if you ever run out if ideas, I wouldn't mind a more-detailed, five-part series on the Billies.

My daughter and I only got to sit in a booth on the stage once, and it was one of the best Disneyland experiences we've ever had. I hope Disneyland avoids reserving this for VIPs (or ?), because the ability of any group of guests who patiently waits and who gets lucky enough to sit there--well, that's one of the things that makes Disneyland great for the ordinary guest. Still, sitting in the tables in front of the stage also gets guests into the "splash area" with outstanding (arguable even better) seats, so fellow APs, please don't take a "there is no substitute for the booths" attitude and sit there once a week; please let more other guests enjoy them too.

I wish the upper booths were always open. The one to the right as you face the stage was Walt's.

Although we haven't seen the Billies in over a year and a half (we're on a break from Disneyland), we noticed that the group that sometimes filled in for them, Laughingstock, had been improving, particularly after they had been allowed to perform INSIDE the theater.

If I ran Disneyland's entertainment, I'd experiment with a family-friendly, cowboy/cowgirl comedy troupe formed from some of the best alums from The Groundlings, The L.A. branch of The Upright Citizens' Brigade and other gifted L.A. comedic actors who haven't made it to SNL, yet.
    Updated 05-24-2012 at 05:58 AM by jcruise86 (typo)
    • |
    I kind of think that Disney World should move the Snow White dark ride over to Hollywood Studios... as it was the 1st full length animated feature film, and that park could use some rides in it. That would make the horribleness of removing a ride for a meet and greet less grating.
    • |
    The irony of this whole thing was that when WDW was being built, the Imagineers never wanted to replicate any of the Disneyland dark rides for the new park. Instead, they intended to create several new movie-themed dark rides with the same kinds of moods as the DL ones. In the case of Snow White, they considered replacing it with a dark ride themed to Sleeping Beauty. Instead of Peter Pan, there would've been a ride themed to Mary Poppins and Mr. Toad would've given way to Ichabod Crane. But Walt's brother Roy insisted that they remain true to Walt's original Disneyland thinking and retain Snow White, Mr. Toad and Peter Pan. The Imagineers complied, but also made sure that the rides themselves were not entirely the same as the originals in California.

Mr. Toad is gone now, of course, and Snow White is to follow suit now. So it looks like the original Imagineering thinking will shine through after all, because once the new Fantasyland is completed, the only dark ride left from the original lineup will be Peter Pan.
    • |
    Hmmmmm... The real question about closing the classic attraction for a meet and greet is this: What would Walt do?
    • |
    They’re not going to put a dark ride back into that space anytime soon. The reason they’re taking it out in the first place is because they specifically want to put a Princess meet and greet into a space that feels like it’s part of the castle. Ridership isn’t down. People aren’t tired of the Snow White ride. They’re not concerned about Snow White being over-represented. The whole purpose of the exercise is because they want people to have the idea that they’re going into the castle to meet Princesses. If SWSA was on the other side of the path, they wouldn't bother closing it.
    • |
    I'm glad I rode it one last time in March, on EMH, I had the ride completely to myself.

Thanks for the picture of the final scene with the work lights on, it's really cool. I never realized that the ride building had such a high ceiling, I always thought that the roof was probably just above the head of the evil queen / witch...
    • |
    "Snow White" was the very first full-length animated movie. It holds a unique place not only a Disney history, but in the history of motion pictures. The least they can do to preserve that heritage is keep open one small dark ride. More corporate bean-counters at work.

Walt Disney would be rolling over in his grave (if they hadn't cremated him).
    • |
    If the lines at Peter Pan's Flight are any indication: dark rides are still desired. Not just thrill rides. I agree with installing Pinocchio in Snow White's place....at least it will fit with the restaurant across the way, and tie in with Peter Pan and IASW. In fact, with all the next gen queues being added, a Pinocchio queue would actually be something I imagine to be interesting. After all, Jiminy Cricket is classic, and we don't see enough of him. With the expansion, it would've been nice to see areas developed, such as around the Tea Cups....little fairy tale zones....that framed and themed each attraction so you are submerged in the story.
    • |
    Bad news for Orlando. But hopefully good news for Anaheim. Snow White's Scary Adventures at Disneyland doesn't even have Snow White in it. I found that pretty odd. So maybe some of the props will find their way out west.
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by scotnca
    WDI should take a chance and finally update the Disneyland Snow White "mystery" attraction and clear up what happens to Snow White!
    Move the props and characters from Florida to Anaheim!
    Make it clearer and show children and adults what happpens and the complete stort finally!
    I know, but then there's the room for it...Where are they going to put the ending? Because the SW building in DL is just next door to Pinocchio. I would see them maybe moving a section of the exterior so as to accommodate an ending, but it would cost money just to fix the building to make space for said ending; I'm sure they are thinking about it, but I think that would be on the backburner (or 'Blue Sky' Phase, so to speak) for the bigger projects to come to DL.

But I'm digressing, I have got to say, WDW has/soon to be "Had" the best version of SW, especially the ending with not just the kissing scene, but also the scene with the Prince taking SW to his Castle. I also agree it's a big mistake to just limit the building of new attractions to a certain number when you could so much more. And one more thing, I think it's a waste that they are building a princess meet'n'greet when they should know that a meet'n'greet really does not count as a attraction. Thus, I hope they announce a new dark ride after the Fantasyland Expansion.

Timekeeper
    • |
    Another vote for keeping the classic Snow White ride. Would have been awesome to have the Mine Coaster along side it to really flesh out the story of Snow White.
    Screw Meet and Greets. i agree with the post above that they shouldn't be attractions.
    • |
    You guys don't have to be concerned about a people eater and family darkride being removed. The Little Mermaid is going to be a darkride. So there will still be a Snow White attraction, and there will still be a darkride, both more suited for contemporary tastes.
    • |
    WDI should take a chance and finally update the Disneyland Snow White "mystery" attraction and clear up what happens to Snow White!
    Move the props and characters from Florida to Anaheim!
    Make it clearer and show children and adults what happpens and the complete stort finally!
    • |
    I must agree with most everyone's comments in this discussion. While I am very excited for the new Snow White coaster idea, I really feel strongly that the Magic Kingdom required a couple of more dark rides to maintain any real connection to the Disney folklore that is fairytales. Disney owns this reputation worldwide, yet it seems like it just doesn't matter for the Florida Project. I have always been stumped by how few dark rides there are in Fantasyland at the Magic Kingdom. It always seems like there is something missing...something like....a fantasyland. Fantasyland is supposed to be about fantasies and much of the current Fantasyland is more about realities. I see very promising changes coming to this area after decades of neglect, but I think something will still be missing. While I love meeting a princess, I do not leave with the feeling that I want to meet that princess again and again everytime I visit the park. Attractions hold a different kind of draw and magnetism and I bet Disney also knows that they can't advertise a new Princess meet & greet as a new attraction that you simply must come and experience because that would fall flat pretty quickly. But a ride where you experience your own little adventure, live your own fantasy....now this is what memories are made of. Repeatable memories. I suspect (and have for some years now) that Team Disney Florida believes they need to have 24 rides in the park in total and not one more. If you want to add a new ride, you are going to have to tear one out to accomodate that. I fear one day they will tear out the Pirates of the Caribbean and replace it with a Dumbo spinner. It will be cheaper to maintain and really, a rides, a rides, a ride. We have 24 of them and that's how many we're always going to have. Sounds like a Fantasyland built for an accountant who doesn't spend money as opposed to a theme park Guest, who does.
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by SAMLAND
    I stand corrected. I looked through my files and found the Tony Baxter sketch that suggested the gag.

Thank you.
    Hello Sam, The Disneyland New Fantasyland actually opened in 1983 and not 1984, as someone mentioned. You were right that VP Tony Baxter did come up with the evil Queen in the tower window idea for Snow White in Disneyland first. A lot of the overall DL New Fantasyland design was duplicated in Euro Disneyland for 1992's opening. In 1994, element from Disneyland and Euro Disneyland were used to redue Walt Disney Worlds Snow White attraction, including the evil Queen in the tower. Tokyo Disneyland did get the first version of Pinocchio which was intended for Disneyland, but sent to TDL instead for their early 1983 opening, while they completed the rest of DL's New Fantasyland which would open later in 83. I'm not very excited when it comes to the concept of Princess Meet and Greets, except for what they displace like Carnation Plaza Gardens at Disneyland. What a shame.
    Updated 05-17-2012 at 01:26 PM by DisWedWay
    • |
    For me, like many here, it's not so much that they're taking out a 41 year old attraction. I mean, they are just moving the Snow White characters to a new attraction. Great! Good deal for all. But, to replace SWSA with a character Meet & Greet is just inane thinking. Did they even possibly think to put in another dark ride in that space using a different character? Lion King? Poppins? Hell, why not a Cinderella attraction in Cinderella's Castle? What a concept.

Bit by bit, WDW is just losing all credibility for me. Thank GOD for Disneyland!!!
    • |
    I could wax cynical about the "Meet & Greet" mentality. It is a bit too much of a commercial for product and too little an artistic expression.

Uncle Walt, a premier capitalist, always found a way to balance the money and art aspects of any attraction.

The new Mine Car Ride looks awesome and should be a lot of fun. However, it will not be a ride that can be enjoyed by everyone. Snow White's Scary Adventure is/was a ride that Grandparents could take the little ones on and they could enjoy together. (Yes, I know it is "scary", but I also believe kids like to be and should be scared a little, especially in a "safe" setting.)

How many elderly grandma types will be able to share the Mine Car Ride with a grandchild who does not measure up to the height requirement?

Was there not room to maintain both rides?

Meet and Greets can happen anywhere in the parks. The Boardroom folks want to regulate the experience to get the maximum exposure and thus the maximum promotion for all things Princess-y. But when is enough, enough?

It is still DISNEYworld and not BOARDMEMBER/STOCKHOLDERworld right?
    • |
    I hope I like the new ride. Otherwise, this will be a disaster of a move as far as I'm concerned. They should at least put another dark ride in instead of wasting that space with a Santa Clause style meet and greet. I would be a fan of putting in the Pinocchio ride from California.
    • |
    Was just about to say what Showoffca said.

Thank you for the nice tribute. I find the WDW version of this ride is far superior to Disneyland's, which makes it even more of a shame that they're removing it. And with Disneyland's shorter track length, we can't even take some of the old props and install them. Really sad. I do hope it's really true that the track layout is being preserved for future dark rides - but if I go see the meet & greet this Fall and find a flat surface on the floor, I'll know it isn't happening.
Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst 1234561353 ... LastLast