Blog Comments

• |
    Quote Originally Posted by Showoffca
    The evil Queen in the tower was not inspired by Disneyland Paris, but Walt Disney World's version. Disneyland's "new" Fantasyland opened in 1984 - Disneyland Paris opened in 1992.
    Actually, the new Fantasyland opened in 1983.

In any case, it's unfortunate that the Florida ride is going to close, since that ride, like the one in California, has been around since day one. On the other hand, I suppose it could've been worse. Better it close in Florida than in California, which is at least the first version still in existence and has its own exterior to boot.
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by Showoffca
    The evil Queen in the tower was not inspired by Disneyland Paris, but Walt Disney World's version. Disneyland's "new" Fantasyland opened in 1984 - Disneyland Paris opened in 1992.
    I stand corrected. I looked through my files and found the Tony Baxter sketch that suggested the gag.

Thank you.
    • |
    • |
    What comes to my mind is the culture of what people expect in Florida. It seems that the "Thrill Ride" is more expected there. I could be wrong, but with the competition heating up out there, the sleeply little dark ride doesn't have a chance anymore. What use to wow people from the 1950's to the 1970's just isn't the same for the 21st century. Yes, I think the loss of the ride is a shame, and I'd rather see it stay. But if ridership was down, I don't blame them for making this move.
    • |
    I'm very sad and disappointed to find another classic dark ride get ripped out from WDW. The mine ride might turn out to be nice, but I'll miss this great and immersive storytelling ride. It would be easier to accept taking out Snow White if it were being replaced by another classic style dark ride, and not a meet and greet. MK has tons of room for a dedicated meet and greet someplace else in Fantasyland, why take out another ride? The bean-counters strike again.
    • |
    First, thank you for the tribute to the Snow White ride at Disney World.

It seems that the Florida parks don't really understand the value of simple old dark rides like Snow White. Not only are they classics which tie older and younger generations together, creating memories and unified histories, but they keep older properties alive for younger generations to discover for themselves.

The saving grace here is that the Seven Dwarfs mine ride should be a fun little attraction and we assume displays many of the characters from the old dark ride. It will also be an attraction which plays to boys a bit better than the old Snow White ride. Though it is unlikely that a coaster type ride system can match the ride capacity of the older dark ride.

So, I'm going to give Disney a pass here and say that it's OK for them to replace Snow White with the Seven Dwarfs. They kept the characters from an old attraction and found a new way to use them. That's clever thinking.

However, slapping a meet and greet inside of a former dark ride space is the worst of what they do at WDW these days. I don't like the idea of the walk-around characters becoming 'attractions' at the end of long indoor queues. Characters should be part of the environment. There is much joy in turning a corner and finding a character walking down a path, or riding the Tea Cups, or standing by her wishing well. Someday, I hope that WDW rediscovers that not everything needs to be about efficiency, show is VERY important too.

Don't eat the apple Snow White, it's poison.
    • |
    Thanks Sam
    i thank that it is ok take snow white out because they are going to have the mine coaster so then that film will be present.
    • |
    I'm so glad I got to ride a few times last summer. I went on four times, and each time I shared a car with people my age doing the same thing: paying our last respects.

At that time, it already looked like they had stopped doing any maintenance. Everything looked a bit grubby. But it was still magical, more so than any shake-your-guts-up "thrill" ride.
    • |
    Sam, an amazing presentation and which answered some questions I had about Progress City, even after my own research over the years. I do have some questions, but I guess I'll purchase the book first
    • |
    Sam, you have finally inspired my first post. My favorite Disney character has always been Walt. Thanks for bringing him to life. I hope to see you at the RR next week to get my book signed.
    • |
    Sam, I remember when WED used to help set up the Cal Arts Annual Art Show to benefit Walt's college. One year it was held at Sharon Disney's home. A Herb Ryman print was given out another year that is surely treasured. Always enjoy your column. PD
    • |
    Wonderful presentation — informative, entertaining, and full of great insight. Thank you!
    • |
    Thank you Sam. I've watched the first three videos and can't wait for lunch so I can see the last two. Pesky work getting in the way!

You are just as entertaining on video as you are in the written word!
    • |
    jcruise86 - All I can say is Wow and thank you. It was an incredible group to be speaking to so I must have been inspired.

Sam
    SamLand's Disney Adventures
    • |
    Although I haven't had time to finish watching all of them,
    these video presentations are among the best things
    (out of thousands)
    I've ever encountered on Miceage.com.

Thank you, Sam Gennawey!

Tom Sinsky
    • |
    I rode the ride at Universal Singapore in January. Okay, I actually rode it a dozen times (Single Rider pays off!). It's a lot of fun. The first half dozen times, I rode facing forward and for the last half, I rode facing upward/backward. One could tell the ride in Singapore was actually intended for Hollywood first due to subtle details like aerial photos of a city which looked much more like LA than any Asian City. The single rider/Express queue provided all the detail of the normal queue, but because you move through it much faster, you do miss some story.

It's an amazing ride, truly. It's fast, smooth and fun. This ride takes Spidey to another level. However, personally, I'd take Star Tours over Transformers, myself

However, the computer voice in the queue is really, really funny. In both English and the little Chinese I understood.
    • |
    I haven't been on the ride but seen the movies. If you are uncertain which bots are good or bad, look at their eyes. For the most part red eyes= bad , blue eyes=good. Or the bad bots just look mean.
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazee4mm
    I received an email from Universal touting their AnnualPassholder Preview on May 4-6. I registered for the May 6, 4-7p.m. preview slot (I'm allowed to bring one guest) and have been looking forward to riding it very much. Anyway, when I went last week, the ride was open to all comers. Consequentially, it has been open every day and will have been open for approximately a month by the time May 25th. gets here. What will be so special about he "preview" when it has already been open for as long as it has? I have since ridden it over 40 times (love it!) over the course of 3 more days. Why should I go to the preview when it's already been open for weeks? Make no mistake, I'll be there (cuz my friend took the day off from work to attend the preview with me) but what's the point. At this rate, I'm concerned that the ride will be open to all when i show up for the "exclusive preview". Nobody at guest relations knew anything about the preview so I guess I'm on my own until I get there on Sunday.
    I agree completely previews are kind of silly when Little Mermaid at DCA "soft" opened I got to ride it 6 times in a row with zero wait but then I attended the PASSHOLDER preview for Star Tours and that line was OUTRAGEOUS I couldn't believe it! To top it off we went straight over to DCA to ride Mermaid because the line was so short and BAM that line was FOREVER and a day!!!! It was so silly, especially now that there is no wait. Point being is that SOFT OPENINGS are better to experience a new attraction since only a select few know about them. Once there is an email blast announcing a preview or whatever everyone and their mother attends! I haven't rode on Transformers but Spider-Man in Universal BLEW ME AWAY! I can only hope Transformers is half as good. I may need to get a Universal pass in addition (or dare I say it) instead of a Disney pass if Universal continues to step up it's game!
    • |
    I received an email from Universal touting their AnnualPassholder Preview on May 4-6. I registered for the May 6, 4-7p.m. preview slot (I'm allowed to bring one guest) and have been looking forward to riding it very much. Anyway, when I went last week, the ride was open to all comers. Consequentially, it has been open every day and will have been open for approximately a month by the time May 25th. gets here. What will be so special about he "preview" when it has already been open for as long as it has? I have since ridden it over 40 times (love it!) over the course of 3 more days. Why should I go to the preview when it's already been open for weeks? Make no mistake, I'll be there (cuz my friend took the day off from work to attend the preview with me) but what's the point. At this rate, I'm concerned that the ride will be open to all when i show up for the "exclusive preview". Nobody at guest relations knew anything about the preview so I guess I'm on my own until I get there on Sunday.
    • |
    TWELVE times? OMG - I almost puked just reading about that. I think after two, any attraction with 3D/simulation and I'd be toast.
Page 4 of 61 FirstFirst 1234567142954 ... LastLast