Blog Comments

• |
    Sam, just a minor clarification, you said that Bud Hurlbut originally planned to make a roller coaster that looked like a log flume, and he worked with Arrow on the ride mechanism, but the ride mechanism you are talking about is the water log flume, correct? It sounds like the roller coaster just evolved into a water ride, but I was wondering if you had any other info about the roller coaster idea.

Song of the South - I don't know why they don't just release the animated parts by themselves.

Changed seating - were they changed because there were actually people getting hurt, or is it just lawyers being paranoid?

Western River - I'm sorry it didn't get built, but truthfully, it doesn't sound as exotic as Pirates, also I remember seeing a scene with Mexican banditos in concept art that may not fly today.
    • |
    This is a tough question...I always enjoyed the one in Florida, to me, the ride seems more thrilling. It has been a while since I have been on both, but if memory serves, the Florida version has that delicious Douple dip drop, which I LOVE. The first time I went on Splash in Florida, I was not expecting it.

P.S. Great article!
    • |
    Splash at Disneyland will always be my favorite from how fast the ride is to Brer Rabbit being Brown not Gray. Ours seems unique to for fitting the theme of the land its in Critter country.
    • |
    I agree that the story is more cohesive in Florida. However, it is still not complete. I have always thought it was crazy that maybe the most popular ride in these two parks is based on a story that nobody knows. But the thing is, very few people seem to be bothered by that fact. In this case, I gotta disagree with you, Sam! (Though I really do love your column!)
    I love the feel of the Anaheim Splash Mountain better. It's more fast paced, up beat, and has less banjo music. : D Plus it is a trip down memory lane. Florida is just not my cup of tea, maybe? I hate how the logs are configured there, and I don't like the music or the pace. In fact, I might even argue that you picked it's ONLY redeeming factor and used it as the reason for why it's better.
    As always, I'm looking forward to your next piece, thanks Sam!
    • |
    One thing I've always wondered regarding the two different rides between Orlando and Anaheim - are the placement of all the different drops generally the same? I've only been on the Florida version once, but it seems like there's an extra hill inside the show building that is not in Anaheim... I can't remember if it was one of the coaster style hills or what... can anyone confirm?
    • |
    I tend to agree with Sam, but also agree with Telpeurion. The flume speed in WDW is SO slow that you're often looking ahead to the next scene. That said, I do appreciate that it results in a longer ride.
    • |
    Great article and a good comparison of the two rides. A couple of the geese from America Sings did manage to stay out of Splash Mountain and took up residence in the Star Tours queue as naked robot versions of their former selves. If they will still be living there after the upgrade we shall see.
    • |
    Love the pic of the young Tony B!
    As an aside, unlike Indy i have never needed a 'single rider pass' on Splash. I just head through the exit and off I go.
    Thanks for the history lesson!
    • |
    Very nice article! I look forward to the next set of attraction comparisons!

The fact about the mountain being named Splash mountain for the Tom Hanks movie surprises me... but interesting none-the-less.
    • |
    While I do think Florida's Splash Mountain tells the story better, I don't think the logs, the speed of the flume, or the music lend much of a hand. The Florida system resembles more of a Pirates of the Caribbean experience with a extra mild splash or two. California's logs are thin and fast moving, and I think you experience a more exciting adventure for it. You will notice that the pace of the attractions are mirrored in their music. Disneyland's version has a Hollywood style orchestra playing music to the same tone as the film. WDW's uses slow Banjo music for the majority of your ride, and it really does not appeal to me. In fact, the soundtracks are probably the most radically different from any two attractions that share the same name and theme.

I also might want to add that I don't mind getting splashed at Disneyland, but I really did not feel any desire to be splashed by the green murk that is Florida's flume water. I figure that it is just dyed chlorinated water, but why in so many scenes was there Algae growing on the show elements closest to the water. Disgusting!

There is a lot of empty scenery in Anaheim, particularly in the How Do You Do scene. A few new elements can add quite a bit. I would also suggest that the large lead up before you enter the show building could be used to enlighten the riders to the actual story elements.
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy
    The REAL winner is Splash Mountain in Tokyo Disneyland... I think we all know that rides looks and acts best... and it is the newest.
    Oh how I wish I could experience the one in Japan myself.

Sam
    SamLand's Disney Adventures
    • |
    The REAL winner is Splash Mountain in Tokyo Disneyland... I think we all know that rides looks and acts best... and it is the newest.
    • |
    Love this ride. I also agree that WDW wins on this one in terms of telling a more cohesive story.
    • |
    I really enjoyed reading this! Splash Mountain is my all-time favorite Disney ride, so I liked learning even more about the attraction! I haven't been to Disney World in over 10 years, so I'm not sure that I can fairly say which version I prefer, but I'm sure that it would be a hard one for me to decide!
    • |
    For those not familiar with the SmartCode that PragmaticIdealist was talking about the SmartCode provides a regulatory device that allows for smart growth to flourish. It is different then the usual regulatory tools. Typically, a city is managed through the zoning code, and building codes. Zoning is generally concerned with how a building relates to its surroundings. Building codes are primarily concerned with how a building works in and of itself.
    The goals for smart growth are to strengthen existing communities, preserve open space, and build compact, walkable communities with a variety of transportation. Smart growth tries to create housing choices and beautiful communities. The public is encouraged to participate and the policies provide a level of clarity and certainty.

Sam
    • |
    Mickey's Toontown was consciously designed with the rural-to-urban Transect in mind. It was really the only way to put Mickey Mouse and Roger Rabbit together in a world that made any sense.

Transects are so important, and they've been almost completely destroyed by cars, oil, and freeways, as well as by Euclidean zoning, over the last 60 years. So, we need form-based codes, like the SmartCode that Andres Duany has proposed, to correct the damaging influence of these forces, especially here in southern California.
    Updated 06-05-2011 at 10:53 PM by PragmaticIdealist
    • |
    I have looked at the other lands and none of them fit so neatly into the Urban Transect box. Most of the other lands represent just slices of the gradient. That is one reason why I think Disneyland's Toontown has always felt right while the one if Florida left something to be desired.

Thanks for the nice comments. Not your typical MiceChat type blog. I will be getting back to the regular program next week.

Sam
    • |
    Great piece. I did laugh at the quote about What City Planning Is by John Nolen, Comprehensive Plan for San Diego 1926... I am a San Diego native, and it is a terribly planned city! Too bad they did not re-read the quote before building here ; )
    • |
    Interesting article.

Timekeeper
    • |
    Great article, I wish they would be leaves on Chip and Dale's Treehouse, do they think people won't notice?