View RSS Feed

SAMLAND

1. Disneyland's Alweg Monorail: Walt Disney's Highway In The Sky

by , 06-01-2011 at 07:11 PM

One of the earliest sketches for Disneyland was Herb Ryman’s entrance to Tomorrowland that is framed by the organic shaped buildings on the left and right and the monorail hanging from a track. From the beginning, Walt was very interested in building a “highway in the sky” for his park.

2. Reflections On Tom Sawyer Island

by , 05-04-2011 at 06:10 PM

The environment within Disneyland is highly structured. Although it may appear to the guest that they have many options, the reality is much different. The spatial design, the attractions, and the circulation pattern all restrict choices. However, Walt clearly understood that not all play could be pre-programmed. Children would rebel and they needed a place to blow off some steam, a

Updated 05-04-2011 at 09:11 PM by Dustysage

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Matterhorn Bobsleds Versus Expedition Everest

by , 04-06-2011 at 08:07 PM

Not long ago I tried to compare the Splash Mountain in Disneyland to the one at the Magic Kingdom, I even declared a winner. Time to take a look at another pair of Disney mountains and, if possible, we'll pick another winner. Now, I understand that this is not directly an apple-to-apple comparison. But, in many respects, they share similar details with

Updated 04-07-2011 at 12:33 PM by SAMLAND

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. A Front Porch Fit For The Wizard Of Bras

by , 03-30-2011 at 08:08 PM

When we discover a space that has a higher degree of life, how do we explain how it got there to others? What language do we use? That is the problem that Christopher Alexander tried to solve with the publication of
    A Pattern Language in 1977. The language is based on the combination of patterns. In fact, he identified 253 patterns. Each pattern consists of a specific ...

Updated 03-31-2011 at 09:07 AM by Dustysage

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Walt Disney's EPCOT And The Heart of Our Cities

by , 03-09-2011 at 10:56 PM

As a planning historian, I always want to learn more about what drives different projects. So I have tried to find out the design influence for Walt’s original City of Tomorrow that he was going to call EPCOT. This two part series is an excerpt from a section I wrote for “Four Decades of Magic” a collection of essays by many terrific authors about Walt Disney World.

In

Updated 03-16-2011 at 03:30 PM by SAMLAND

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast