View RSS Feed

SAMLAND

1. Disneyland's Alweg Monorail: Walt Disney's Highway In The Sky

by , 06-01-2011 at 07:11 PM

One of the earliest sketches for Disneyland was Herb Ryman’s entrance to Tomorrowland that is framed by the organic shaped buildings on the left and right and the monorail hanging from a track. From the beginning, Walt was very interested in building a “highway in the sky” for his park.

2. Where's the Window - The Buzz Price Story - Part II

by , 04-20-2011 at 07:30 PM

Last week, we rediscovered a true Disney Legend who was perhaps more responsible for Disneyland landing in an Anaheim orange grove than any other man but Walt Disney himself. A little background for those who missed Where's The Window Part I. I was admiring the worthy tradition at Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom to honor those who have made an impact by placing their name on a window

Updated 04-20-2011 at 07:50 PM by Dustysage

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. EPCOT and the Heart of Our Cities - Part Two

by , 03-16-2011 at 04:04 PM

Join us for Part Two of SAMLAND's look at Walt Disney's original plans for an Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow or EPCOT for short. Before continuing on to Part Two below, please read Part One EPCOT and the Heart of our Cities (if you haven't already done so).

Sam Gennawey is an urban planner who has collaborated with communities throughout California over
  4. Walt Disney's EPCOT And The Heart of Our Cities

by , 03-09-2011 at 10:56 PM

As a planning historian, I always want to learn more about what drives different projects. So I have tried to find out the design influence for Walt’s original City of Tomorrow that he was going to call EPCOT. This two part series is an excerpt from a section I wrote for “Four Decades of Magic” a collection of essays by many terrific authors about Walt Disney World.

In

Updated 03-16-2011 at 03:30 PM by SAMLAND

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. From Slope to Nope - Walt Disney's Mineral King

by , 02-16-2011 at 09:03 PM

Walt was frequently inspired by his trips abroad and brought back ideas that would be integrated into Disneyland and his other projects.

Walt took advantage of visiting the sets of his live action films when the production was on location. He seemed to enjoy his visits and it gave him a chance to travel, to observe, and to think. His imagination would be sparked on ...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast