Blog Comments

• |
    Quote Originally Posted by isny
    "What makes this so interesting is that the entire ride was designed around the look of the original projections. Universal, wanting to create a seamless experience went to great lengths designing the physical sets to match the exact color and look of the movies. This included making digital renderings of brick walls and other spaces found in the movies and literally printing out giant life sized sheets of these items to cover the various environments in the attraction. Now with the new, more detailed, and grittier videos in the attractions we wonder how much of the sets will be redone to match."

I'm pretty sure you have this backwards. The original 3D video, sets, etc. were all designed around the 90's cartoon a lot of us grew up with. The new renderings and background looks to be closer stylistically to the movies.
    The exterior, the queue, were designed to be a real life Comic Book.

The ride Animation was supposed to take that look and then immerse you in it and make it real.

This new Animation does that better.
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneySarah
    Nice update! I especially liked the section on Busch Gardens.
    It's not that different from Storybookland at Disneyland, which has miniatures of Cinderella's castle (which is probably the exact same size of MK's B&tB castle), as well as the palace from Aladdin.
    • |
    Great update as always! I laughed, I cried, two thumbs up!
    • |
    "What makes this so interesting is that the entire ride was designed around the look of the original projections. Universal, wanting to create a seamless experience went to great lengths designing the physical sets to match the exact color and look of the movies. This included making digital renderings of brick walls and other spaces found in the movies and literally printing out giant life sized sheets of these items to cover the various environments in the attraction. Now with the new, more detailed, and grittier videos in the attractions we wonder how much of the sets will be redone to match."

I'm pretty sure you have this backwards. The original 3D video, sets, etc. were all designed around the 90's cartoon a lot of us grew up with. The new renderings and background looks to be closer stylistically to the movies.
    • |
    I didnt know they were already switching them out, but I didnt get to really say that they HAVE to change projectors. I focused on the screens
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFL
    As far as I know they have been replacing the projectors already
    You are correct, almost all of the projectors have been replaced at this point.
    • |
    I noticed how the radio static in the Spider-Man video disguised a curse. From what a heard, anyway.
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by CodeNameMLS
    @Todd, 4K is a video resolution. It's a better High Def. What it seems theyre doing though is filming in 4K but actually cutting it down to SD again from the video images. If it was going to be a 4K image then the Projectors and the screen would have had to be replaced. With 4K though you can have a full High def image and Crop it with no Image quality changes. Thus better! so though it seems it will still be a 480 video, it will be much higher quality because it was a 4000 cut down to fit in that 480 area. Think physical up converting. Again I might be wrong with them cutting it down to a 480 image, I can only assume that from the video above

As far as I know they have been replacing the projectors already
    • |
    Great Update!

Timekeeper
    • |
    @Todd, 4K is a video resolution. It's a better High Def. What it seems theyre doing though is filming in 4K but actually cutting it down to SD again from the video images. If it was going to be a 4K image then the Projectors and the screen would have had to be replaced. With 4K though you can have a full High def image and Crop it with no Image quality changes. Thus better! so though it seems it will still be a 480 video, it will be much higher quality because it was a 4000 cut down to fit in that 480 area. Think physical up converting. Again I might be wrong with them cutting it down to a 480 image, I can only assume that from the video above
    • |
    A very informative update. Universal and Sea World really seem to be upping their game. We were able to get some complimentary Passholder tickets for the new Blue Man Group Show....really looking forward to seeing it.

Thanks for your hard work in bringing us this column each week. I think you will be very busy these next few months. A lot going on this time of year.
    • |
    Speaking on Castles, I think we have learned something with the Orbitron placed outside the New Tomorrowland walls, and hope the same mistake is not repeated with Fantasy Faire outside of Sleeping Beauty Castle.
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by TodAZ1
    Also, anyone else think it's kind of weird to have a kingdom inside of the Kingdom? What I mean is the Beauty and the Beast castle and now castle walls.
    You bring up a very interesting point. There's a full sized Cinderella castle, new walls, then tiny castles for Beast and Prince Eric on top of mountains. More like a collage of kingdoms than one giant fairytale kingdom. Then the scale changes and there are large sized circus tents which pop the illusion of the forced perspective mountains and tiny castles. I'm sure that the Imagineers will come up with some sort of story to explain away the theme conflict.
    • |
    Disney is approaching "100 years of Movie Magic" starting with their 1920's animated and live action features. If they started building a Studio Tours ride through attraction now, based on fa'mouse' scenes from all the past Disney classics in TV, Film and Animation, they would have a hit and place to show case future features. PD
    PS A pre-show could feature walk through Disney archive treasures. Let me know if your interested Robert.
    "I never think of the future. It comes soon enough."
    Albert Einstein
    Updated 01-31-2012 at 01:17 PM by DisWedWay
    • |
    Update: It appears Habit Heroes is ahead of schedule and decided to soft open today.
    • |
    Does anyone know how long Test Track will be down with the changes being made? I am going in the middle of June and would hate to miss this attraction mainly because I have never rode it due to it being down the other trips I have made!
    • |
    Nice update! I especially liked the section on Busch Gardens.
    • |
    The improved attraction is set to open in March and will feature all-new, 4K digital high-definition animation,
    What's 4K mean?

Also, anyone else think it's kind of weird to have a kingdom inside of the Kingdom? What I mean is the Beauty and the Beast castle and now castle walls.
    • |
    I think the park hoppers are at habit heroes
    • |
    I don't think your history of Busch Gardens is exactly accurate, or at minimum it's phrased improperly. The Brewery didn't close until 1995, that's hardly "some years later" from the 1960s, it's 3 decades. During those 3 decades, the area turned in to a modern theme park, developed the new rides and animal experiences, and only shut down the brewery when it became too old and small to really be useful and they let the park reclaim the space for Gwazi. Busch Gardens didn't become what it is today because the brewery closed, it became what it is today which lead to the decision to close it rather than modernize and expand it.
Page 12 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast