Blog Comments

• |
    I agree with several people here that the Backlot Tour is, to quote Trey Parker, "old and stupid"; It was dead ever since the stunt show wiped out the entire backlot. Its time has come and it needs to e replaced with something new and exciting--something that can rival Potter besides Avatar.
    • |
    It would be clear they Pixar Place would be larger if they didn't try to keep preserving the Backlot Tour attraction. The Studios Park has a space issue that could be alleviated when the tour attraction is altered or eliminated.
    • |
    I completely agree with you about the Studios Backlot Tour, but we also have the ridiculous Hollywood Backlot at DCA. No one cares about these Hollywood sideshows. However, I must add that many Disney fans like the conceit of a Studios park to allow for motion pictures and characters to be presented in a detached way, rather than a immersive way. That's why some say the new Avatarland is best presented in Disney Studios instead of Animal Kingdom. I would disagree with this notion.

I would prefer for the elimination of a Studios park. Disney should concede to Universal who does a better job with its rides and attractions as well as its renown Studios Tour in Hollywood. Instead, rename the park as Disney's Hollywood. Present it as Walt Disney's version of Hollywood as DCA has shifted its emphasis towards Walt Disney.

Dump the Studios Tour. Convert it into a self touring special effects interactive exhibit. Let people ride the Catastrophy Canyon as an extended self contained show. Maybe add a new separate show a la King Kong.
    • |
    I think ABOMIBOT hit the nail on the head with the Studios Backlot Tour at WDW.

Aside from Catastrophe Canyon, the entire attraction is a bust. Mostly because it pretends to be something it is not (a real studio tour) when it should be a simple celebration of the movies that Disney has made.

For the vast amount of space that it consumes it is also one of the weakest attractions in all of Disney World. That makes it a prime candidate for redevelopment. I'd love to see it replaced.
    • |
    What bothers me the most about the backlot tour, is I can remember when they *did* film at the Studios. The first time I was there back in the 90s there was a tour that walked through the upper galleries of the sound stages that they now use for exhibits like Narnia, One Man's Dream, and part of the Toy Story Mania attraction. At that time they were filming "Sing Me A Story With Belle" and we saw the tail end of one of the tapings from the gallery. I seem to remember one of the other sound stages was in use as well, but I don't remember what the program was they were filming.

The costume, prop, and set shops were all used to make things for the productions in those sound stages so the were active as well in those days.
    • |
    Great article regarding the Backlot Tour, I agree completely; as a fan of movies it would be nice if they stepped up their game a bit instead of giving us what little they do and hoping that's good enough.

Progress on the minigolf looks promising, I think it will be a fun distraction once its complete. That house looks awesome. :0)
    • |
    Here is a link to the New York Times article I reference in case you're interested in reading their 1989 review of Disney/MGM Studios.

Reinventing Hollywood at Disney World - NYTimes.com
    • |
    Hidden Parkhopper: that little fella can be found in Universal's Hollywood Drive-In Golf.
    • |
    I think the biggest issue with Great Movie Ride can be the Tour Guides or an overacting gangster or cowboy. But I see that the response of most people is to go online to bash their "performance" then to mention it to someone at the time.

I doubt the Tour Guides are constantly being monitored and of those of us who have been on the ride have had bad and good experiences. But how many of us have said something to a manager or guest relations about the good and bad people? That's really the only way that Disney will improve their rides and shows, by having actual people standing in front of them saying "this isn't working up to snuff and it's really noticeable."

How many people do you think have gone up to guest relations and taken the time to say "this needs work"? I had an excellent tour guide and gangster on my show and I let the manager know.

As for updating the movies, I was told by my girlfriend at the time (she had gone on a behind-the-scenes tour of Great Movie Ride) the movies were part of a package deal made with Ted Turner (who owns the classic MGM library). And looking at the ride as a whole: you've got Musicals, Gangster films, Westerns, Sci-fi, Adventure, Horror (the mummy-like scene), another Adventure (Tarzan), Romance (Casablanca), Animation, and Fantasy - pretty much covering all standards of American cinema.
    The Tarzan scene is small (the front and back of the cars barely fit and it isn't that wide) but more importantly, for kids it gives that bright and non-threatening feeling after being attacked by an alien, surrounded by snakes, skeletons and watching someone "Die." I think if something was to replace Tarzan, it should keep the "hey kid, it's ok" aspect before plunging them back into the dark for Casablanca and Fantasia.
    Looking at the photos, either you take some darn good pics or they've been changing the lights since I last went on (but it still looks like the wall alien is still stuck in the "up" position). I'd love to see some more of Disney's cash go to tweaking the ride or at least updating the script. Years ago they had a good script and the one now feels a bit watered down. But in any case, with the 25th anniversary of that park coming up, it'd be nice to put some polish on the old girl and make her shine as the only ride still intact at that park for 25 years.
    • |
    Love the photobombing giraffe and the disapproving lion!
    • |
    FYI, the Lamborghinis aren't $389, they're less expensive to test drive. The Ferrari 458 is $389 (and hopefully worth every penny when I go later this year to try it out)

You can also try a Porsche 911 for $199
    Updated 01-19-2012 at 10:20 PM by ChrisFL
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by ashmonster
    Unfair attack on Lasseter. Since coming onboard Disney let's not forget he has been the executive producer on Princess and the Frog and Tangled. Let's be honest, before those movies Disney hadn't created a classic animated movie in ages. Plus cars land isn't the only remodel going on over at DCA, the new entrance and mccarthay theatre look fantastic. While Lassester was once heavily focused on Pixar that can't be said today. He's just as much involved in Disney as Pixar.

That's hardly an "Attack" on John Lasseter. We love him and think he does great work. But there is no denying that his involvement with Imagineering has been heavily influenced by Pixar. Carthay Circle at DCA isn't an attraction, it's a thematic element to the park's new entry. His big contribution to DCA is Cars Land. As in Pixar's Cars. It will be amazing, and wouldn't have happened without his weight behind the project. But he could just as easily have pushed for a major project which wasn't Pixar related. The point is, Pixar is where his heart is, and since he's in charge of creative at Disney, we'll likely see a lot more Pixar in the years ahead.

Now, who wants to guess what will be going in behind the Chinese theater facade in the Disney Studios park? I'd bet dollars to donuts that it is another major Pixar attraction. That isn't an attack. That's a logical guess (with a bit of hearsay added for good measure).
    • |
    I'm really curious about Art of Animation. Indoor corridors for a value resort? Crazy!
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage
    Today's Imagineers are attached to John Lasseter and PIXAR with an umbilical cord. You can bet that whatever ends up going behind that Chinese Theater facade will be something related to Pixar.
    Unfair attack on Lasseter. Since coming onboard Disney let's not forget he has been the executive producer on Princess and the Frog and Tangled. Let's be honest, before those movies Disney hadn't created a classic animated movie in ages. Plus cars land isn't the only remodel going on over at DCA, the new entrance and mccarthay theatre look fantastic. While Lassester was once heavily focused on Pixar that can't be said today. He's just as much involved in Disney as Pixar.
    • |
    I dont understand why Disney should be worried. Having visited IOA and the Studios recently-they constitute a days visit if that-for both parks. Potter is the only thing going for them-sure the expansion will attract the curious-but it doesnt offer much beyond the first visit. Mind you Ive always found the studios more interesting than the Island. Just lacks the magic of the mouse for me.
    • |
    The new picture taking at the sky tower, Sea World in San Diego does a similar thing at their Skytower and the Bay Sky Way. Great Update!

Timekeeper
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by CodeNameMLS
    Have they officially announced that Potter is going where Amityville was?
    I don't think that they've officially announced Potter for the Jaws area. But it isn't much of a secret any more. We've seen some of the blueprints and renderings for the area. Major project. Disney should be worried. This is at least on the scale of the current Wizarding World of Harry Potter at IoA.
    • |
    Thanks for the waterbuck correction, much appreciated!
    • |
    Have they officially announced that Potter is going where Amityville was?
    • |
    A few corrections: The Kilimanjaro Safaris photo labeled as a greater kudu is a waterbuck. SeaWorld's Pacific Point Preserve is home to its California sea lion population, not its walrus population.