Blog Comments

• |
    Having worked and lived in both California and Florida, the question always came up about which orange juice was better?? Disneyland's California "Sunkist" orange juice or Walt Disney World's Florida "Orange Bird" juice. I have seen pictures of Walt drinking the Sunkist Orange Juice so it must be better, but then he never got to try the Orange Birds at Walt Disney World. Just in case, I always carry around with me both a Sunkist logo lighter and an Orange Bird logo lighter. You never know when a Tiki Torch might need lighting in either park. PD
    Updated 12-05-2011 at 12:45 PM by DisWedWay
    • |
    I remember seeing the Orange Bird walkaround character back in the late 70's at the park. I even got a photo with him (which I've been trying for years to find). I had a little stuffed Orange Bird too. I always thought he was so adorable.

You didn't mention though that Disney and the FCC dropped their agreement with Anita Bryant because of comments she made about the Vietnam War. That was part of the reason the Orange Bird suddenly disappeared despite his popularity.
    • |
    I went to Tokyo Disneyland in 2008 and he was actually seen at various merchandise locations. Grated at that time I had no idea the context... thus my humorous expression below. Haha. And now I know the rest of the story! Thanks!

Updated 12-04-2011 at 11:48 AM by izaneybraney
    • |
    Great article. I'm happy to see that Orange Bird is making a come back in the Magic Kingdom.
    • |
    "The show has finally returned to its roots, with guests once more being able to sing like the birdies sing."

That's not quite true. The singalong verse was cut from the new version of the show.
    • |
    I'd never heard of the orange bird before but now I want to know more about him and find a copy of that addictive album as well as other merchandise, an elusive bit of Disney history that I am grateful to you for bringing to my attention. Thank you for the cool, refreshing story
    • |
    When Six Flags Over Texas opened in 1961, it had a ride called "The LaSalle's River Boat Adventure." The boats were virtually identical to JC's. The ride was very much different from JC, so I assume that's why Walt never sued Angus Wynne, the founder of SFOT. Also, LaSalle's had a different ending, in which the boat comes up to a waterfall which parts and the cliff face opens up to reveal a cavern which the boat enters and then exits just before reaching the dock.

The skippers all told jokes, such as, "Well, we never found the Mississippi River or the Alamo or the Jacksboro Highway, but I hope you folks had a nice time anyway." In another part of the ride, the skipper asks a mechanical man if it's safe to go on, and the mannequin is vigorously shaking his head. The skipper either says, "Unfortunately, I don't know French, so I don't know what he's saying." or "For those of you who don't speak French, he's shaking his head 'No'."

The highlight of the trip was the Spanish log fort that fired a cannon a couple of times at the boat and the cannonballs harmlessly hit the water with big splashes. As a kid, I couldn't figure out how they managed this.

Each boat had an antenna atop it that would trigger the special effects by hitting an electric wire strung across the river. Indians in a canoe would show up, but they never fired their arrows at you, or you'd see a bear growl at you for being too close to the bee hive he's trying to get honey from. The skipper would say, "Wouldn't you get angry if someone stole your honey and nectar?"

I always liked this ride, but, unfortunately, it's no longer there, having been replaced by a rapids ride back in the '80s. C'est la vie.
    • |
    They don't seem to tell the joke about Dr. Albert Falls anymore. That was my favorite when I was a kid.
    • |
    The world needs more Zé! I hope the recurring rumors of a Brazil pavilion in EPCOT come true someday, so he can have a permanent home in the U.S. parks.
    • |
    Before we ride, each person in our group selects their favorite joke. If during the ride, their joke is told then that person does something special on the boat. I can't say what it is because I don't want to ruin the specialness of it. By the 3rd-4th time, the skipper is in on it and tries their best to tell as many jokes to make sure everyone is involved.
    • |
    I loved to go on the Jungle Cruse in Disneyland when I was living in Southern California.
    • |
    I think you picked a great subject and your story has facts that are for the 1955 Disneyland Jungle Cruise and the 1971 Walt Disney World edition. It would be good to tell which one they go to, like Disney World is the only one with the Lockheed Electra tail section. (Maybe one day it will be rejoined to the front wing section for the WDI Disney Imagineering Campus Air Terminal in California.) Disneyland got some new scenes in 1994/ when the Indianna Jones attraction was added and the load building was redone more like the original concept. It might be interesting to compare all 4 Jungle Cruises and their differences. I read that Tokyo Disneyland had Hosted the "Best Skipper" contest of all the Disney Parks. I dont know if former Skippers Kevin Costner or John Lasseter attended.
    • |
    Please watch your step and your head. If you do miss your step and hit your head, please watch your language. There are children everywhere!
    • |
    I'm pretty sure there were more then 2 boats opening day. I'm not sure where exactly that "fact" came from. I've spoken with members of the opening day crew (thanks in part to the festivities of the 50th). I believe it was 11 boats opening day, not sure. I know ti was 11 in the fleet by the time the year closed.

It'd be nice if the Jungle Facts were defined as either Disneyland or Disney World. I tried so hard to get the old Maggie split in half and put at the Disneyland C Curve.

And sadly the opening animals weren't audio-animatronics. It was a combination of looped cam/lever systems and track based movements with jungle sounds and music in the background. They didn't get actual sync'd audio/movement until the 1960's. In fact the 1963 addition of the Tiki Room was part of the decision to add the new technology to Jungle Cruise. I have training manuals with direct quotes on this part.

Great effort. As Dusty pointed out it's wonderful to have articled about the various attractions at Disneyland.
    • |
    as a current skipper at disneylands jungle cruise i truely appreciate the coverage of a beloved attraction that i and may people enjoy. such an honor to be apart of a rick and corny history. my favorite moment so far at the cruise was a little boy who pretty much at every animal i pointed out kept saying "shoot it! shoot it!" had me laughing through most of my tour.
    • |
    Thank you for the interesting article Jeff. We DO appreciate your hard work writing two columns for this site.
    • |
    A few years ago we were in Disneyland and I had one of the best skippers I've ever had. His comedic timing was better than any I had ever experienced on 50+ rides on the Jungle Cruise. My favorite line came when approaching the two African Bull Elephants - I'm paraphrasing a bit:

"That's an African Bull Elephant. I don't think you guys really appreciate how rare a site this is. You will NEVER see another one in your lifetime."
    (The boat turns the corner to reveal the other Bull Elephant)
    (Jarred looks around to the people on the boat, looks at the elephant and says)
    "Um.... that's a polar bear"
    Updated 10-29-2011 at 11:01 AM by dland_lover (Removed Cast Member name per MiceChat policy.)
    • |
    Hey, it's better than no column! I find it classy of MiceAge to run their site with this level of punctuality. Though the "626" name, I admit, makes me cringe.
    • |
    Sorry, but this is a very disappointing article, which sounds like something out of Disney's promotional department. What about adding an overview of critical analyses of the Jungle Cruise such as those by Umberto Eco, Louis Marin, or Mark Gottdiener, who all discovered subtexts of colonialism/imperialism and capitalism in this attraction? Maybe this is asking too much from a site like Miceage, but simply repeating the contents of the Disneyland Guidebook seems like a waste of space to me.
    • |
    Great!!

Did take me time to get E.L. O'fevre....
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast