Blog Comments

• |
    Even though I had heard or read most of it, I still enjoyed reading about it again.
    I have to wonder what sort of security they have for the island, and whether or not they still have an occasional "issue" or threat from un-invited visitors to deal with.

I have also heard that because of the dense forest that covers most of the island, mosquitoes and insects are pretty bad at night, which is why there are no night-time or overnight activities.

I haven't had the pleasure of going there yet, but one day, hopefully!
    • |
    Most pirates most definitely spent their spoils within months, sometimes even weeks, of obtaining it.

But I have read (and I'll try to find the books again, they were fascinating!) that some of the lesser known pirates, and even some of the more fiscally responsible, more popular ones hide some of their loot as a sort of "retirement plan." Not necessarily buried it, per say, but they did stash some stuff hidden away for a rainy day.

Of course, not much of it, though. Most of it went to grog and women. Haha.
    • |
    It's fun to imagine buried treasure. However, contrary to popular belief, real pirates did not actually bury treasure. The vast majority of their spoils were very quickly spent on women and drink in one of the many very colorful Caribbean ports, or elsewhere.

History suggests Captain Kidd may have temporarily buried some loot in the New England area shortly before he was arrested. But there's no evidence to suggest any other pirate actually buried anything of value anywhere, let alone on what is now Castaway Cay.
    • |
    i went there a few years ago, and if you go snorkeling and diving, there are giant statues and sunken ships out in the water that you can swim around. very cool.
    • |
    It's amazing how they took such a seedy place and Disney-fied it. It's REAL history would make a fantastic movie all on its own. It was a lot of fun to really learn all about it

Dusty - You'll love it! When I went in January, it was gorgeous, but unfortunately a little too chilly to really partake in any of the water related activities. But biking up and down the island and exploring was a lot of fun.

Timekeeper & WheresMickey - Thanks guys!
    • |
    Great article!
    • |
    Nice article.

Timekeeper
    • |
    Leave it to Disney to create a fanciful back-story to a place with an even more colorful real story! We'll see the island for ourselves next month. Can't wait!
    • |
    Thanks guys!

DisWedWay - I actually do believe ONE of those two planes were left on the island, and then Disney re-did them up to use as props. As far as I know, there is no plans to expand the settlement there...I believe they want to keep it as it naturally is, to persevere it. Besides, there is already a ton to do on the island right now, so expanding it may give people TOO many options, and less time to explore them all!

Dizcruz - I heard the same myself...and would love to stumble across it sometime!!
    • |
    There may very well be buried treasure on that little island.
    • |
    I was wondering if the planes were left by former inhabitants ( As in the movie Romancing the Stone? )of the Island or brought in for effect? Are there future plans for expanding the settlement there?
    • |
    Jeff,
    This was a very interesting story! Thank you for the research and for making it so entertaining. Looking forward to more.

-Dusty
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112