Blog Comments

• |
    I'm not the biggest nemo fan in general, so of course i always bypass the ride when i visit now. A lot of the new theming just doesnt hold much of any appeal for me. I don't even care for turtle talk. But it is more than possible to still get lost in the sheer size and beauty of the aquarium and coral reef is still amazing. Both of those things make it a worthwhile pavilion. But gosh do I miss those hydrolators...
    • |
    I haven't seen the Living Seas since 2003, so I really can't say, but I would say that the classic was good.
    • |
    Thanks so much for reading, folks. I'm glad you enjoyed this one!

mratigan - I'm actually researching that for another 626 column now! Hopefully whatever I find can help shed some light on that for you!

ChrisFL - Fair point about the Great Movie Ride. However, I think they were aiming more toward a Western movie feel on that one, as opposed to the greatly exaggerated version of the Wild West that would have appeared in WRE.

stellemarie - There was a Pirates ride before the movie?!

KenFromOC - That's amazing that you got to see the model up close and personal! I would have LOVED to have seen that. I might be emailing you to ask about it, if you don't mind!

EWO1992 - Yet another article that is in the queue for an upcoming 626! That one is already done, though, so you may see that sooner rather than later.

lilorangebird - Definitely agreed. Splash makes sense where it is in DL, but not at WDW!
    • |
    WRE sure would have made more sense in terms of placement than splash does now.
    • |
    Tony's Big Thunder Team also salvaged everything usable from Mark's Disneyland Natures Wonderland attraction that closed, and relocated it to 3 Big Thunders. I wonder where Mark's Country Bear characters are today after the Pooh ride moved in at Disneyland, and if they will reappear in a new show maybe in Hong Kong Disneyland's Bear Ride or maybe in Spalsh Mountain in a new scene. I'm sure all WED and WDI Imagineers must feel bad when one of their attractions are replaced like with Horizons or Swiss Family Robinson.
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by danyoung
    I've always heard that this situation drove a wedge between Tony Baxter and Marc Davis. Any truth to this?
    This is true, though it was really the fact that Marc saw Tony's involvement in Splash Mountain as Tony ripping out the attraction he personally worked on (America Sings) that cemented the divide. Of course, Tony actually salvaged the old attraction since it was going to be torn out anyway and the characters were saved from destruction. But Marc took it pretty hard... I still believe that Marc took that that divide to the grave.
    • |
    I still wish this was built in some form. I think it would make a great addition to DCA, slightly modified to the Gold Rush.
    • |
    I never saw this in the expo! Very nice update! i would love to see this ride come alive someday!
    • |
    I've always heard that this situation drove a wedge between Tony Baxter and Marc Davis. Any truth to this?
    • |
    Great article. Thanks. The video was very enlightening. There's another video on YouTube as well with Marty Sklar doing a walk-through. Definitely worth a watch.

I showed the video to my 6 and 8 year old boys to do a little ad hoc market research. The 8 year old wasn't terribly impressed and thought the ride looked too slow for him. The 6 year old however came out with something interesting. "Is that Woody? Is that Jessie?" he asked. He was definitely ready to take a ride.

So given the need to incorporate more characters into the park, maybe this attraction could finally see the light of day as a vehicle for the Toy Story characters?

Either way, I'll be first in line! (and boy do I hope they keep the train running through the show building and being part of the show scenes. That's just way too cool!)
    • |
    Great Article, I hope to see this built someday.

Timekeeper
    • |
    I would love to see a 626 on the adventureland concept that had the indy jeep ride, mine cart ride, and i think one other ride all intertwined.
    • |
    In 1974 at age 17 I had a private 3 hour tour of then WED Enterprises. I had actually contacted Card Walker (then the Disney chairmen) and he arrange a tour for me due to my interest in working at WED one day. I actually walked through this model and was shown how if you looked through these strategically place viewing rings you could view the scenes as the folks would riding in the boats. It's really too bad it never got built, and that now most attractions either have to be based on big-grossing films (generating instant success and merch) or some sort of thrill ride.
    That's fine, but gems like these never seem to get the green light.
    • |
    Another great distraction from when I should be writing. It also made me laugh about people who are shocked to see the Pirates ride was around BEFORE the movies. Sigh. Really though, great stuff in here. I had no idea. As always, you continue to enlighten me.
    • |
    Let's not forget the Great Movie Ride also has a bank robbery western scene which could have been inspired by WRE in some form.
    • |
    Disneyland Fronteirland has the themed coaster part of Mark's Western River Ride in Tony's Big Thunder and plenty of unused room to build the rest of Mark's attraction. Disneyland (and PDL) has a deeper water table than Walt Disney World which is why Pirates at WDW(and TDL) only has the one drop to DL's 2 drops. So that's another plus for Disneyland to get this attraction or Thunder Mesa in Paris. Mark's Natures Wonderland train excursion was also on the drawing table for Thunder Mesa for a phase 2 attraction. I would love to see that or a log ride like Knott's has with the overall themeing of PDL's Big Thunder. PD
    Updated 03-04-2012 at 01:02 PM by DisWedWay
    • |
    Great article, I would love to see a updated version of this placed into DL or WDW. Wow!
    • |
    Great article! I can imagine how every moment of this ride would feel - no wonder there are so many who are still enthusiastic to see it come to light one day.
    • |
    Thanks Jeff another great 626. I wish there was more info about the Riverboat Square project.
    • |
    What a great article, thanks!
    However... I think you'll find that the "marker" circled in red in the above photo isn't a survey marker at all - it's a slot for a crowd control rope pole. Those are everywhere.
    As for the "center of the park" marker: if one looks at a map of the park in 1955, one will discover that the actual geographic center of the park was - wait for it - the HUB. Remember, in 1955 the rear berm was just behind Casey Junior, placing the castle at the back of the park. Today the park has grown by expanding to the north, bringing the center closer to that survery marker everyone points out, erroneously.
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast