Blog Comments

• |
    Wow! Thanks for the interview and the article! Very interesting read.
    • |
    Thanks for a delightful interview and accompanying photos. Did Edie have these photos, or were they from an archive?
    • |
    WDreiling & DizMiiLand - Thank you both for such kind words! Rest assured, I won't be going anywhere...FTMOTM will be here every Wednesday!

And don't worry, some West Coast love is coming next week!
    • |
    I sincerely hope these interviews become a regular feature of micechat. This ethnographic approach really captures the essence of the theme park by looking through the eyes of a cast member, in the middle of it all.

This was just simply a fascinating article, reminding me of Kevin Yee's book about his experience as a cast member.

Please keep them coming and don't forget the west coast! : >
    Updated 09-30-2011 at 01:17 PM by DizMiiLand (added a gramatical change for improvement)
    • |
    Hands down this is my favorite series of articles on the Disney parks I read. This inside information and modest dirt that is sometimes dished is what I crave. Thanks for sharing this with us!
    • |
    Thanks, everyone!

Jedited - Amazingly enough, I've had more WDW employees talk to me than DL ones! I did get a few while I was out there in June, though, that are queued up to run soon. But, since you asked...for next week, I'll re-post one from my previous site of a DL employee that I think you'll like...especially since she was one of the very few who had this position that no longer exists!

lctom1 - Those guys get REALLY competitive, as I've found out!
    • |
    Nice article. I was particularly interested in hearing his take on working in the hotel vs. in the park, and the concept of "magic".

Also, on my most recent visit to Disneyland we rode the canoes on the afternoon of their CM canoe races. Many of the CMs were wearing their ribbons and we had a nice discussion with them regarding the races. Didn't know, however, that the winning teams from DL and WDW had a show-down.
    • |
    Brilliant article, so glad there are still people at the world that determined to kept it magical for everyone
    • |
    GREAT article! I have REALLY enjoyed your columns. Normally being a West-Coaster, I usually don't like reading East Coast columns, but this one is ALWAYS enjoyable. On that note, how about some stories from Disneyland Resort cast members?

I'm always surprised how candid current cast members are.
    • |
    Thank you Jeff and Bobby, really enjoyed this interview.

Particularly love to hear about the stupid things guests do, like jumping off a moving train to retrieve a signature book. Many people really do seem to check their brains at the front gate.
    • |
    Great article.
    • |
    Mark - That's great! Are you still out there working for awhile, or are you back in the continental 48??
    • |
    Wow, amazing interview. You can just feel the passion he has for Aulani. Looks like a truly spectacular addition to the Disney Family.
    • |
    Aloha Jeff,

I meet Kaleo on opening day. Realy nice guy and very proud to be with Disney. Great interview!

Mahalo,
    Mark
    • |
    Dusty - I'm glad you got to meet him, and I'm very happy you guys are having a good time. I can't wait to hear all about it! Tell Kaleo I said Aloha!

wdwprince & jlomo - Thanks a lot! I appreciate the kind words. Please let me know if there are any problems with the podcast, as I re-uploaded them all on Monday to change the artwork & website. Hopefully they all work OK!
    • |
    Thanks, Jeff! I've started looking forward to this blog every week! The insight you gain from former and current castmembers is great! I'll definitely have to check out the podcast as well!
    • |
    Jeff,
    Again thanks for the blog. I checked out your site and podcast as well. You have a new subscriber. Great work!
    • |
    Wonderful interview Jeff.

Just so happens that Fishbulb and I are at the Aulani right now and were lucky enough to meet Kaleo in person.

He was exactly how he sounds in the article. Warm, knowledgeable . . . very Disney in a Hawaiian way.

He recommended we go on a Menehune hunt tomorrow. Sounds like a fun diversion.

The resort is amazing and we've never seen so many helpful cast members in one place. It is electric.

We'll have photos and stories to share when we get back, but I was so glad to read this article today. Perfect timing!

-Dusty
    • |
    oops, hit save twice.
    • |
    Jeff, another awesome blog! Thanks so much, glad I found you here at MiceChat!http://www.disneyfountainofyouth.blogspot.com