Blog Comments

• |
    What a nice read indeed!

Timekeeper
    • |
    Wonderful interview, thank you for sharing your experiences with us.
    • |
    Jeff, this was a great article! I really look forward to reading them each week, now. Thanks for making that extra effort to provide MiceChatters with great information and insight. I visited Epcot for the first time during it's heyday in the 80s, and fondly remember the great exhibits and experiences that Rob mentioned. And he's right: you can't go home again!
    Thanks again!!
    • |
    Thanks, guys. I'm glad you're enjoying the column!

I agree with Dusty on his points...the FutureWorld of yesteryear is far superior to the one that exists today. They lost sight of the original vision, and it's a lackluster substitute of what it should be!

WDW Prince - He's welcome to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Rob became upset when his job description changed from what it originally was (and he enjoyed). The way management handled it, I'm sure, was not the correct way to go about it.
    • |
    I realy am enjoing reading about the difrent castmember experiances and look foward reading more in the future
    • |
    I remember when I went to the Living Seas Grand Opening and was so impressed with the educational aspects of it and it's potental. I got to see Tom Sherman's Nautilus diving suit and enjoyed the film about the Civil War's Iron Clad Monitor that had been discovered at that time. It was so EPCOT back then. I can truly understand Rob's feelings in his afterlife. PD
    Updated 09-14-2011 at 10:14 AM by DisWedWay
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by wdwprince
    I'm curious to know what happened that changed Rob from being in his dream job to not going back to the parks more than twice in 10 years after he left?
    His dream job was being a full time tour guide and instructor. However, when Disney Institute took over, they made everyone part time. So Rob had to move into a sales position which he really didn't enjoy.
    • |
    Great interview, Jeff! Loving this column!
    • |
    What a great read. I always love to read perpectives from CMs. I, too, count EPCOT as my favorite park, but I am also a bit disappointed in the path it's gone down.

I am loving this blog.
    • |
    I am really enjoying this blog and I look forward to more. It's fascinating to learn about what goes on behind the scenes and to hear different individuals experiences.

This interview was great. I would like to know though what the reason was that Rob left. It was unclear. Did he quit or was he fired? What exactly made him bitter?

Also, I'm curious to know what happened that changed Rob from being in his dream job to not going back to the parks more than twice in 10 years after he left?

As the Disney fanatics that we are I don't know what it would take for me to lose all interest in the parks. It would be great to hear a little bit about that from Rob.

Thanks again Jeff and Rob. Great interview.
    • |
    Great read!
    • |
    I REALLY enjoyed the interview with Rob. Epcot was really at its peak in the 80's. It's been a slow slide away from overarching theme since the mid 90's.

All the talk of the Hydrolators and Seacabs makes me realize just how badly the Living Seas has been butchered. Yes, Nemo is a clever ride, but at what cost to the overall pavilion?

Don't get me wrong, I still love Epcot (perhaps more than the Magic Kingdom), but I'm saddened that the Future World theme has been all but abandoned.

Looking forward to next week Jeff!

Dusty
    • |
    Jeff, welcome to Mice Chat and thanks for that great interview!

Great Cast Members like Cynthia are a big part of the magic at Disney Parks. We always try and talk to these kinds of CMs when we're there and just thank them for helping to make our experience more enjoyable and memorable. I find it sad for her, Disney and their guests that she's no longer there. I hope when she left the company, she explained the story like she did here. If not, perhaps she should at least write a letter to Disney's pesonnel office to let them know what happened. As Gullywhumper stated, there are some real concerns there that should be addressed.

Thanks again and I look forward to more of these kinds of stories.
    • |
    Reading about the lack of concern for a fellow cast member who is in potential respiratory distress, leaving them alone in a room, a culture where the managers act in a punitive way towards those who don't go out on Tuesdays to drink....
    I worked for some time in a major theme park and this sort of behaviour was common, we just learned to look out for each other and made good friends with the nurses.

I loved reading this interview, stories like these bring back such wonderful memories of a time in my life that I still miss very much. I am looking forward to next week I think I have a new favourite blog to add to my list

Not to be a spoil sport or anything, but could these CM's get in trouble for "spilling the beans" so to say?
    Obviously, Cynthia is no longer employed by the Mouse but in reading this article she sounds like she want's back in and with the complaints (and rightly so) would that jeopardize her chances of a re-hire?
    I really feel that if her application was rejected on the basis of this interview that the micechat community should be willing to show support for the type of cast member we really want to see working for Disney. I don't know what form this support would take but Disney needs to be aware that THIS is the sort of cast member we want.

Good luck to you with your new blog Jeff and best of luck to you too Cynthia I will be looking for your name badge when I get to the Florida resort.
    • |
    Great column, Jeff! Welcome!
    • |
    Reading about the lack of concern for a fellow cast member who is in potential respiratory distress, leaving them alone in a room for an extended period of time, a culture where the managers act in a punitive way towards those who don't go out on Tuesdays to drink. Plus a work environment where calling in a problem on the job results in a negative reaction simply because it causes a scheduling hassle. Then, once a doctor has diagnosed the problem as an exposure to chemicals on the job, with the resulting response of dragging out a transfer to another job area. All of this makes for an unsafe environment and possibly can lead to at least a couple of lawsuits both around safety issues and possible harrassment. I work in HR and find all of this to be distressing. The managers in question need serious training before we read about another Cast Member death at Walt Disney World. Is it any wonder deaths of Cast Members has been so prevalent recently with a work environment like this?
    • |
    Has any picture or video of the dead elephant even surfaced? That has to be one of the most elusive bits of recent Disney Park history.
    • |

Welcome! I love the column and will read it every week.
    • |
    Thank you, all of you, for the kind words! I'm really glad you enjoy the column, and I hope you continue to enjoy it every week!

Hawaii Disney Fan - Yes, absolutely! I'll send you a message.
    • |
    Love the column Jeff! Can't wait to hear more from other locations. If you'd ever like to hear about Aulani let me know. We're new, but we already have a bunch of stories to tell.
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 41112131415 LastLast