Blog Comments

• |
    I've already pre ordered my blu ray copy, I came out of the theatre looking to see if I had enough money in my pocket to see it again later the same day. I had no problems with any of the alliances or terminology, my only real issue was the Edgar Rice Burrows sub story, I really don't think it was necessary.

I read comparisons to Avatar, I can see why but really it's only a minor link and I think that it has become the in thing to down and belittle every major film nowdays, online many people seem to think it makes them cool to hate everything and then there are the people not capable of making up their own minds and relying on strangers to tell them what to like.

I have issues with Disney pulling promotion for the film, just as they did with The Rescuers Down Under another great film that they just decided to write off without giving it a chance. I also have issues with the marketing genius that decided you couldn't have the word Mars in the title. Titles are important to a film because they are the first impression a viewer has with a film, this film could have been helped with a different title, John Carter and A Princess of Mars or even John Carter of Mars would have helped enormously.

I know they won't do it but I would love to see more John Carter films but then I never thought they'd make a second Tron film so there is always hope.
    • |
    I actually just posted a 5,000 word blog on Friday about John Carter, what I thought and what I think went wrong with its success. I also compared it to the other releases during the Ross/Carney era.

I will certainly be buying the BluRay

FuseMP - A Glimpse Into My Head: John Carter of What The Hell Happenned?!?!?!
    • |
    The movie was GREAT! It entertained and took me to a place I had never been before. I am sad to think there may be no sequels.
    • |
    282 million world wide. A disappointment, but hopefully with Blu Ray sales and rentals, make most of its money back. I saw at the theater and it was good, but confusing for my younger daughter. Still fun.
    • |
    I loved this move enormously. Is it an Avengers caliber film? No, but then it didn't pretend to be. It was precisely what Burroughs had intended it to be, which is a very entertaining and engaging story.

This is a popcorn film, and sometimes after a hard day, that's precisely what the brain needs; a popcorn flick!!!
    • |
    Thanks for the comments! I was torn about it. We enjoyed it, but it was hard to keep our attention all the time. My personal barometer was that I didn't want to watch it a second time.

I still think people will enjoy it, but I can't wholeheartedly recommend it. Unlike Avengers, which I have seen twice and still want to see again. JC was mindless entertainment that made me think whereas the Avengers was thoughtful entertainment that didn't make me think consciously.
    • |
    Thanks
    When I saw it on march 9 there were only 9 other people with me
    i can't wait for the second screen to come out
    • |
    Personally, our whole family really LOVED "John Carter." Okay, so the plot was pretty thin. (Hero goes to Mars. Hero meets princess. Villain does villainous things. Hero defeats villain and rescues the princess.) But that's okay. The movie was FUN! Big, splashy, engaging, entertaining fun. The books may have been the big influence on modern science fiction, and the movie may not leave us with a memorable franchise to exploit for big bucks, but I really wish Disney would have done more with this film that could lead to some sequels.

We didn't go to the theaters with high expectations; we figured it would just be a fun "summer bubblegum" kind of film. And it was... but a really GOOD one. So we recommended it to a lot of folks who said they hadn't even heard of it (which tells us something about Disney's low expectations and failed marketing with this film). And every single friend who followed our recommendation and saw the film came back and said how surprisingly FUN it was. (There's that word again, eh?)
    • |
    I really enjoyed John Carter and I am still upset that of all the films they decided to half *** the marketing on it. The acting was meh at times, the names are hard to remember (even when you've read the books it can get confusing), and it is very different from the books, but none of that affected my enjoyment of this movie. Don't let the horrendous losses Disney has because of poor marketing. This movie is very good just not great. I'd say in terms of recent movies I'd put it in line with Transformers 2 (even though it's my least favorite transformer movie).
    • |
    I first became aware of Bob in a Rod and Custom magazine interview where in the WED Days Bob talks about designing the Disneyland Mainstreet vehicles much like you would a custom hot rod with a dropped front axle. Maybe one day he will sign it for me. Hot rod builder Boyd Coddington also worked at Disneyland as a machinist and could often be found on the steam engines where I would find him.
    Updated 05-30-2012 at 12:40 PM by DisWedWay
    • |
    Folks, our Bob Gurr event is now available for purchase:

Bob Gurr Book Signing Luncheon at the beautiful Anabella Hotel on June 30th tickets and books available HERE. The first 100 books sold for this event will be the red "Collectors" edition (which are very nearly sold out). Since all books will be picked up at the event, no shipping will be charged.
    • |
    Got my question/problem taken care of! Thanks!
    Updated 05-30-2012 at 08:31 AM by HipToBeKyle
    • |
    I'm about half way through this book and loving every minute of it!
    • |
    Bob Gurr isn't just a legend, he's a treasure. When you think about all the attractions (at Disney and beyond) that Bob has had a hand in, you realize that he shaped an entire industry!

looking forward to his MiceChat book signing event on June 30th. Save the date folks. Tickets will be available later this week and we will have very limited space.
    • |
    Thanks! We had a great time putting the review together and looking forward to seeing other Disney Legends publish their memoirs.
    • |
    I also pre-ordered the book and finished reading it on Saturday. What really came through for me was the decency and happiness that are naturally part of Bob Gurr and his writing. It's a joy to read. He has lived his life solving problems, not griping, and that was genuinely inspirational.

Thanks for the book, Mr. Gurr!
    • |
    I preordered it at the micechat birthday party and I got it a few weeks ago with my DLP sketch to reality book
    both are the best Disney books I have had
    i haven been busy now but they will be great to read over summer
    • |
    Don't forget "The Cat Returns". It's not Miyazaki but it's directed by one of his portages. It's also a Studio Ghibli feature and it's absolutely terrific for both kids and adults. Amazon.com: The Cat Returns: Chizuru Ikewaki, Yoshihiko Hakamada, Aki Maeda, Takayuki Yamada, Hitomi Sat˘, Kenta Satoi, Mari Hamada, Tetsu Watanabe, Y˘suke Sait˘, Kumiko Okae, Tetsur˘ Tanba, Y˘ ďizumi, Hiroyuki Morita, Hayao Miyazaki, Hideyuki Takai,
    • |
    clippers6 - At least Grave of the Fireflies is available from another company.

There are two other Ghibli films that NOBODY has released on home video in the US: Ocean Waves and Only Yesterday. The former is a made-for-TV teenage soap-opera/psychodrama that could've been made by anybody, so you aren't missing much. Disney doesn't own any rights to it AFAIK, since it wasn't a theatrical feature. The latter is an excellent film about memories and how one's past shapes one's future. It's rather "leisurely" and without much kid appeal, which is probably why Disney hasn't released it even though they hold the US video rights.

There are also quite a few short films and TV commercials that came out in an "interesting" compilation DVD in Japan several years back. It'd be nice if they ported that set over to us as well.

There are two fantastic pre-Ghibli films by Miyazaki and Takahata that are also must-sees: The Castle of Cagliostro (which is easily obtainable in the US), and The Little Norse Prince (which, sadly, isn't). Both stand up quite well next to the rest of Hayao Miyazaki's work.

PS - No recommendation for Porco Rosso or Nausicaa? Are ye daft, mon?
    • |
    I'm so proud of my 6-year-old, first-grade daughter for being a HUGE Miyazaki fan.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast