Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• cmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcm

Cool Hey Entertainment!

Come on doooooown! You are the next contestant on Answer Ashley's Questions!

Hey guys, a few things I wanted to ask:

Any hosts? I want to transfer to Entertainment in October (or November? Whenever my six months is...) and was curious if you had to audition to be a host. I could have sworn I saw an audition notice for hosts a while ago but maybe they were just casting hosts, and I'm crazy. I don't mind auditioning, just curious.

Any short characters? I know for Mickey and Minnie and some characters, slimness is a factor (especially in legs). Just curious if weight or build is crucial in all fuzzies? Like perhaps dwarfs or chipmunks? Stitch? Etc. I'm 5'.

And a question for everyone, is it six months after hiring in that you can transfer or 4 months? And what's the easiest and best way to go about it (speaking from experience is fun, ya'll!).

THANK YOU! Any other random information you can think of that's good to know for Entertainment let me know!

"I'm not funny. What I am is brave." - Lucille Ball

• Don't lets be silly! șoș

Re: Hey Entertainment!

Quote Originally Posted by ashley solo View Post
    Come on doooooown! You are the next contestant on Answer Ashley's Questions!

Hey guys, a few things I wanted to ask:

Any hosts? I want to transfer to Entertainment in October (or November? Whenever my six months is...) and was curious if you had to audition to be a host. I could have sworn I saw an audition notice for hosts a while ago but maybe they were just casting hosts, and I'm crazy. I don't mind auditioning, just curious.

Any short characters? I know for Mickey and Minnie and some characters, slimness is a factor (especially in legs). Just curious if weight or build is crucial in all fuzzies? Like perhaps dwarfs or chipmunks? Stitch? Etc. I'm 5'.

And a question for everyone, is it six months after hiring in that you can transfer or 4 months? And what's the easiest and best way to go about it (speaking from experience is fun, ya'll!).

THANK YOU! Any other random information you can think of that's good to know for Entertainment let me know!
    From my understanding:

You will need to audition for host, they are the voice of the character.

Chip and Dale come to mind as well.

It's four months to transfer inner department, and six to transfer to another department.

Another thing you might want to think about is it's really hard to get hours in Entertainment. Most new people to the department are lucky to be working 3 days a week...

LOL , hard to get hours in "entertainment"!.

Quote Originally Posted by BWthespian View Post
    LOL , hard to get hours in "entertainment"!.
    I worked 4 hours this week... ='( and called in every day... I know quite a few other people who are having the same problem. I'm sure it's the same all over. Why not keep your seniority?

• cmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcm

Lack of hours might or might not be a problem.

Why keep my seniority if all I want to do is transfer to Entertainment?

Thanks for all the info!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • June 3rd, 2011

Lack of hours might or might not be a problem.

Why keep my seniority if all I want to do is transfer to Entertainment?

Thanks for all the info!
    You lose your seniority when you transfer. You have to start all the way at the bottom and work your way up again. I had a chance to transfer back to the West Side but turned it down because I didn't want to lose all the seniority I had built up in Fantasyland (Even though a lot of good that does me with scheduling!! Being sarcastic here!!)
    PirateMunkee

Visit My Horror Designs Store!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMunkee View Post
    You lose your seniority when you transfer. You have to start all the way at the bottom and work your way up again.)
    Mmmm true to a point. You lose your seniority with that department obviously because you're new. However, you're original hire date and seniority with the company stays. My original seniority with the company still stands at 4/06 even though I transferred last 9/07. But obviously your seniority with that department is literally starting over.

-SPACE

Quote Originally Posted by Space Mountain View Post
    Mmmm true to a point. You lose your seniority with that department obviously because you're new. However, you're original hire date and seniority with the company stays. My original seniority with the company still stands at 4/06 even though I transferred last 9/07. But obviously your seniority with that department is literally starting over.

-SPACE
    What it is, if you transfer though started in 03, it really doesn't mean much any longer. The people who started in 08 with that department will get to open hours before you.

I work in WDW ent, not DLR, so I can't answer stuff about transfers and seniority, but it looks like the other posters have got you there-- Honestly, weight and build is fairly important for a lot of the characters. Munks, no, but they're not your height. Stitch, I think so. Dwarves, I'm not positive, but they pretty much parade only characters (in Fl anyways- besides Dopey), so that's a whole different story. That's not my height, so I'm not sure on any others, but short characters tend to be small all over. If someone's build will disapprove them from being friends with a fair amount of characters, they probably won't hire you. They need people who can be friends with lots of characters, not just one or two

DisneyMouse, what exactly do you do in ent? (you can PM me if you'd like)- I'm looking to transfer to DLR after I graduate, so I have some questions and whatnot.... for anyone that works in the dept

• Cast Member

Height and body type is crucial because you have to be able to fill out the costume and look like the hundreds of others in your height range. Does that always happen? No. There are Sharpei Pluto's and there are Bull Mastiffs. Problems also arise if a costume doesn't fit right. Entertainment Dept. has the highest numbers of work related injuries; load bearing injuries being the most prevailant. Buzz Lightyear is a pretty heavy toy and on Earth his jet pack isn't weightless. Depending on which space suit he grabs in the morning he could be adding up to 50 pounds of extra weight. As a rule of thumb when in the audition process you had to make a cut of 3 "friends." That gave schedulers a wider range to give you the most utilization around the resort.

For a time Entertainment was casting hosts every 2 weeks. With that audition processes, a fair amount of improvisation and storytelling was on the prime factor for selection.

If all you want to do is transfer to Entertainment seniority be damned then absolutely go for it. Its the most fun job I have ever had. Visit the Zoo Crew office in the Old Admin building.

kcw.... I look forward to answering your questions though I though we covered many of them. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMouse View Post
    What it is, if you transfer though started in 03, it really doesn't mean much any longer. The people who started in 08 with that department will get to open hours before you.

Wait open hours meaning wut? More hours than me? that doesn't make any sense. unless that's not what you mean. I'm sorta confused.

-SPACE

• cmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcm

Losing department seniority isn't a huge problem for me. The company knows I've been there, so oh well.

I'll just stick to hosting for now since I believe my chances for a fuzzy is very little. So I'll look out for a host audition sometime in October/November.

THANK YOU ALL! You were so helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Space Mountain View Post
    Wait open hours meaning wut? More hours than me? that doesn't make any sense. unless that's not what you mean. I'm sorta confused.

-SPACE
    I think they call it padding? If they know someone is going to call in sick or someone does call in sick they'll find someone to take that spot. They'll go down the list of people who have been there the longest.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMouse View Post
    I think they call it padding? If they know someone is going to call in sick or someone does call in sick they'll find someone to take that spot. They'll go down the list of people who have been there the longest.
    Okay I understand that part. That's just typical seniority however, it seemed like you said newer people that hired into the department later than me, would get open hours before me, that doesn't make any sense since it is a seniority thing. I would get the hours before anyone who hired in 08 would since I was transferrerd here in september '07.

-SPACE

[quote]

At 5' you'd be a mic-munk, meaning you're in the best height range to get shifts because you can be so many characters (I was 23 characters). For some characters, your shape does count, mostly your legs (ie- Minnie and Pinnochio). For others, as long as the costume fits and doesn't look like you're about to pop or deform the costume, you're pretty much good to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast