• idk my BFF Minnie

Questions from a new hire

So last week I got a call from TDA saying I got a job in attractions! I have to fill out papers on September 5th, and I am very excited! Though, I took the job so quickly, not realizing I might have a few frustrations pertaining to the job, so I'd like to ask a few questions for those who work and have worked there.

1) Is it easy to get someone to trade a shift with you? Is it easy to get time off(with prior notice well ahead of time)?
    2) Do they work well around school schedules you give them?
    3) When filling out the papers needed for the job, do they ask for your availibility again? Because I'm not so sure the availablity I gave them when I initially applied will be the same...

Thanks in advance for you input! I look forward to being apart of the magic with you guys

Oh, and does anyone know how late the bus runs? xD

• cmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcm

Re: Questions from a new hire

Welcome to the family! Where in attractions will you be, do you know?

1) It all depends on who you know. It's no problem if you know some one who will switch with you, usually. I've never had an issue as long as I had some one to switch with.

2) So far so good for me. But I've heard horror stories but work it out with your stage scheduler, they usually are a lot more compassionate... atleast Fantasyland's are.

3) They may, I can't remember. If not, just go to scheduling and fill out a CR Planning Form thingy (ask anyone or look around, it's a yellow piece of paper) and give it to your main scheduler. You'll know where all that is on your first day of Guest Interaction Training. You can change your availability all the time.

"I'm not funny. What I am is brave." - Lucille Ball

Quote Originally Posted by ashley solo View Post
    Welcome to the family! Where in attractions will you be, do you know?

1) It all depends on who you know. It's no problem if you know some one who will switch with you, usually. I've never had an issue as long as I had some one to switch with.

2) So far so good for me. But I've heard horror stories but work it out with your stage scheduler, they usually are a lot more compassionate... atleast Fantasyland's are.

3) They may, I can't remember. If not, just go to scheduling and fill out a CR Planning Form thingy (ask anyone or look around, it's a yellow piece of paper) and give it to your main scheduler. You'll know where all that is on your first day of Guest Interaction Training. You can change your availability all the time.
    Following the path of this post- it also comes down to communication. Talk to people and don't wait. Remember that most Departments run 3 weeks ahead. The current week and next week are already posted, and the 3rd week is being worked on so you should try and stay a month or more ahead of your personal agendas. When you need bulks of time off (if you don't qualify for Vacation or Sick Time) that might have to fall under a 'Leave of Absence'. ANYTHING you aren't certain of- ask around. If all the stones have been turned- find a Manager.

Documentation may be requested for certain ailments but specifics vary depending on the circumstance.

So... plan, communicate, follow up, and hold people accountable. What I mean by accountability is- GET THE NAMES. If you submit something to ANYONE- politely ask for a copy with a date and time stamp. Documents get lost sometimes, and you need to make sure you're holding people accountable so you're not forced to take unnecessary measures- like being 'forced' to call in for a scheduled shift.

Good Luck!

• Really?

Just out of curiosity, can I ask when you went in to fill out an application and interview?

• Still wants to be a cat!

Shuttle at K lot runs 24 hours (I'm almost positive all the lots are 24 hours) and pretty smoothly I might also add (at least for now).
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• idk my BFF Minnie

Wow, this is really great advice everyone, thanks so much!

mspoppygrl--I 'll send you a PM.

Although I really appreciate all your guys' advice... I might not take the job after all. I was offered a job at my dorms and I'm thinking the wise choice is to take it, even though I really, REALLY want to work at Disney. It is A LOT closer(Disney is 20 minutes away) not to mention I don't have a car when I'm at the dorms :[

I'm considering taking both jobs, Disney Fri-Sunday and dorms the rest of the week. So it's either that option, take one or the other, or take both and see if I can handle it and if I can't I'll quit Disney. What does everybody think? Am I crazy for this?

Other than that, do you guys know if I decline would I be able to ask them if I can wait until the winter peak season to work? I'd have Christmas and the whole month of January.

I really appreciate you guys, I'm so torn right now...

ONE MORE THING: If I decide not to work there would they deny me from applying again because I was a flake? ;_;
    Last edited by ChiiDesu; 08-21-2008 at 08:50 PM. Reason: too many questions

• Nill

Not a CM, but I from what I have seen on these boards can answer one question. You would most likely be able to apply again if you don't take it right now. In fact, casting likely prefers that because apparently they have issues with new hires who take the job, and quit shortly after realizing they don't have the time that they thought they had. Then, there goes a good sum of money down the drain for training and such.

• Still wants to be a cat!

6 months, then you are welcome to reapply.
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette