Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Don't lets be silly! șoș

Moving up with Disney

About August 5th I was asked by a lead if I was interested in becoming a lead... He told me to think about filling out the paperwork, and looking into it. I told him I'm not looking at getting into management at this point with Disney. I'd like to work my way into Face.

Here's the thing, I was "employed" by Disney on July 2nd, though didn't start "working" for Disney until July 28th. I would think they'd want someone who's been working there longer then a month... though I find it a wonderfully big compliment!

Has this happed to anyone else?

• You Spin Me Right Round

Re: Moving up with Disney

I've been told to apply for lead several times, I finally am, however I have been working for the company for 2 years, haah.

• Don't lets be silly! șoș

I'll be seeing you on Friday right?!

• cmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcm

Show off!

I'm desperately interested in going up in the company and doing it soon. But no one asks me, and I thought you couldn't be promoted while on probation...? Maybe I made that up.

They were looking for trainers this week but I'm still on probation so I didn't apply.

Moooovin' on up! I want to teach Traditions, where's that info?

"I'm not funny. What I am is brave." - Lucille Ball

• Disney Nerd

Even if you are still on probation, if moving up is something you are interested in then let your managers know. If you work hard and always put forth your best effort, then perhaps something will happen for you. It never hurts to try.

• Missing an Angel

I've had a couple of my leads tell me that the next time we are needing trainers that I should apply. They told me the best way to become a lead is to train new hires first then apply for lead so that you have more experience when you go in for your interview. But yeah, it's nice to see that my leads are appreciating my hard work.

• cmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcm

Quote Originally Posted by fantoongal View Post
    Even if you are still on probation, if moving up is something you are interested in then let your managers know. If you work hard and always put forth your best effort, then perhaps something will happen for you. It never hurts to try.
    I've always told my managers I'm interested in moving up but I always think it goes in one ear and out the other, but I do love my managers. Two leads know I'm interested in becoming a trainer and one of them really wants me to be but I'm never at my location so I can never keep checking in. Hopefully when the summer is over and Small World opens, I can be more at my location so I can keep reminding everyone.

I work hard every day and have no points, so hopefully that'll help when I do eventually apply!

Oh, and yay, Scurvy Pirate! Good luck, I KNOW you're a hard worker.

LOL they give everyone and anything lead now days. That's why over half the leads we have in the resort are full of themselves. Sure there's good leads here and there but most of them are just... why are they leads? Seriously.

-SPACE

• Still wants to be a cat!

At my attraction all the Leads are fantastic!

But it's a lot of work for just a bit more money, but it is a great start if your looking to move up the ladder.
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

Random tips that helped me, for those interesting in moving up:

(Keep in mind, I work in the park, this isn't for going to TDA or whatnot)

• Do good work that can earn respect from fellow cast members. It's quite possible to have guests love you but antagonize other cast members, you need mutual respect to lead.
    • Don't try and skip trainer. There's way too much useful experience in it and you're basically A-Lead for 1-3 CM's from the time you meet them at Harbor Pointe to every day when you're working together after. You also learn a lot of extra stuff in the process. It also pays the same...
    • Be assertive. Do something (good) that'll help you be positively memorable among the 80+ cast members in even the smallest location. There are tons of "lead" duties in my area that aren't lead duties at all, but most folks didn't take the initiative to learn while working and stepping in there got me trained for that "lead" task a year ahead of time and known by all the team.
    • Be consistent. It's not hard to tell when you start grouping fast only when a lead is loading, or LOB equivalent. That's worthless effort there since it's not genuine. Nobody is looking for a new breakroom lead or hands-off trainer and that's the behavior one would expect after that.
    • Leave emotions at home. It's work, not drama. Who am I kidding, it's High School Musical but at least keep your cool onstage and avoid gossip backstage.
    • Work well with other cast members.
    • Work well with other cast members.
    • Did I mention, work well with other cast members?
    The next steps beyond Lead such as emerging leaders and other park operational options are extraordinarily selective and difficult. Trainer to core lead has nothing on the GSM to area manager transition, or chance at lots of real professional jobs directly from the park. The good news is that while spots for advancement open up very slowly, the job is so challenging and varied it's impossible to avoid opportunities to gain the required skills. The company also is very good about promoting from within, though I'm sure being a retail executive would still help for a TDA job.
    Good luck to all in the coming rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
    Don't try and skip trainer. There's way too much useful experience in it and you're basically A-Lead for 1-3 CM's from the time you meet them at Harbor Pointe to every day when you're working together after. You also learn a lot of extra stuff in the process. It also pays the same...
    I agree, don't skip Trainer. In addition to paying the same as Lead, you also learn things and make connections that can help when you put in for Lead. Also, it's a good way of easing into the Lead position, since you are doing many of the same things as a Lead, but are only working with only 1-4 people at a time rather than 20-80.

That, and the fact that most Managers won't even begin to consider people for Lead status unless they've made Trainer first.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
    Leave emotions at home. It's work, not drama. Who am I kidding, it's High School Musical but at least keep your cool onstage and avoid gossip backstage.
    Eh? I don't remember any time when the entire DLR Cast, except entertainment, has suddenly burst out in coordinated song and dance . Maybe I was off that day, lol.

But yea, try to avoid getting too caught up in the drama (after all this time, I'm convinced that not getting caught up in it at all is all but impossible); and, for goodness sake, keep it Backstage. Our guests certainly don't need nor want to know about that wild party you went to last night.

But I think the most important piece of advice I can give in this case is: don't think you have to be perfect to become a Trainer/Lead. Should you have the basic grasp (i.e. new hire training) of what you're doing? Yes, of course. But please don't think you have to be a super-CM. Even Trainers and Leads will make mistakes from time to time, heck we'll even mess up real badly from time to time.

Just work hard, and get along with your fellow CMs, and you'll do fine. I have Leads in my area who are certainly not these super dooper CMs who can guess our daily revenue and labour costs even without knowing how many people are in the park. But they make up for it by working hard and engendering mutual respect with the Cast.

I also do have Leads who think they are the super dooper CMs mentioned above. And, honestly, it does hinder their performance, IMO, since they are generally not as good as they claim, and most of the Cast find them pretentious and basically want to have as little contact with them as possible.

I agree. Trainer is extremely beneficial for you personally, as well as the fact that you will earn the much more important benefit of the respect of your fellow cm's. Make sure that you know your attraction inside and out. Being a trainer is a great way to do that. It doesn't matter how many people I have trained, I always get at least one question that I have to get back to them on. In other words, training is a fabulous way to become an expert in your area.

Second piece of advice...find a mentor! I got my mentor 2 months into my disney career and he's been amazing in preparing me for my current role. Managers look to the mentoring program and the opinion of their Leads when considering promotions. Choose a mentor that is the complete opposite personality of you. Why? They will challenge you in ways that a mentor of your own personality could not.

Final thought...you do have to be with the company a year before promoting to Lead. That is flexible, but not THAT flexible. I think your Lead is being over zealous in asking you to apply now. However, it is always good to express interest if you are, in fact, interested. That will let the Leads and Management know that they should be watching you to see how you'd fit into a role with more responsibility. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Forget Disney Magic...Universal performs MIRACLES!!!

• cmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcm

I'm annoyed that my mentoring program in my area is all up in the air and hard to get together for some reason. Blah. I really want to do that before I'm trainer, and really want to be trainer before lead.

• You Spin Me Right Round

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMouse View Post
    I'll be seeing you on Friday right?!
    I guess. Green shirt with the Disney D.

• Still wants to be a cat!

What exactly is a mentoring program?
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette