Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Semi-Lurker

Opening Procedures For Classic Attractions

I've always been curious as to what the opening CMs at attractions like Pirates or the Haunted Mansion have to do to turn the ride on for the day. Are there a bunch of switches or just one? Are they located centrally or throughout the attraction? How long does it take? Inquiring minds want to know (well at least mine).

• I'm not really here

Re: Opening Procedures For Classic Attractions

I don't know about start up, but on our last trip we were talking with a great CM on Pirates at the end of the day and he said that they can get Pirates totally shut down in under 30 minutes usually. So I'm assuming that the start up will take a little longer than that. There are multiple "switches" to turn on as there are multiple independent systems. Pumps for the drops and lift hill, mechanical for the chain on the lift hill. I wouldn't be surprised if each of the show scenes has multiple "switches." Boats need to be checked, safety systems are probably tested at startup as well.

This would apply generally to all the rides.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• HauntedOne999

Each attraction is different... Indy take about 35-45 minutes to start up for the day. Jungle Cruise is very fast but with a show check is about 12-20 minutes. Tiki Room is a full show cycle. Opera House is a full show cycle. HM and POTC is about 35 minutes i would think... since they are very effect heavy extensive animation, sound, and lighting checks would be made. but all attractions during the night get checked by techs and most problems are fixed or removed by the time the opening crew gets in. AA attractions will not open if major characters are not fully functional:

Indy - any indy figure
    Jungle - elephant pool, gorilla camp, african veldt, or headhunters
    Tiki - any of the MCs or the bird mobile or 30%+ loss of overall animation
    HM- any major show elements (seance, ballroom, attic are priority)
    POTC- loss of any major/central characters/pirate captains of a scene (old Bill is considered a vignette)
    Known in most other circles as "HauntedOne999"

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!"

Disneyland CM Dec. 2005 - May 2007

• I'm not really here

Thanks for the much more accurate information than I could guess based on conversations with CMs Aploe!

I love learning about the procedures and daily operational requirements of the various attractions.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Semi-Lurker

Well looks like this thread got moved. I put it in it's original place because I thought the general forum users would be more interested than CMs since they don't get a chance to turn the attractions on but I guess mine is a minority opinion. Anyways keep up the posts. I am sure there are alot of us who would like to know about all the different attractions opening routines.

• :)

The opening procedures for attractions is very boring, on some attractions there's hundreds of doors, sensors, etc.. that need to be checked every single morning to ensure they're closed & locked, working, etc...Even for the Disney enthusiast it's no fun =X

• Senior Monorail Minion

Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)

I'm curious about Monorail starting procedures...
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

• Guilty!

For Pirates:

Opener 1 opens the Tower and comes in 75 minutes before park opening. They make sure the attraction has working flashlights, written scripts, fire extinguishers, and verify the station area is ready for opening. After the first power up, they verify that the emergency stops are functioning. They power down and then again power up the ride. Powering up takes about 3 minutes. It requires you to first power up the ride control system and flume pumps, then resetting the station, lift, drop 2, and drop 1 (in that order).

Opener 2 also comes in 75 minutes prior to park opening. They check all the show building doors and attraction animation during a walk-through and then a ride-through. The walk-through is extensive and can take anywhere from 20-45 minutes, depending on their experience walking around inside the attraction. It's a maze! Opener 2 will start their ride-through once Opening 1 has checked the E-stops and the ride has been powered up a 2nd time.

The 3rd Opener comes in an hour before the park opens and they set up the queue chains in the courtyard, side queue, and inside queue. They also check 7-8 doors near Club 33 and the NOS Train Station. After that, once the attraction has been powered up, Opener 3 creates a boat list as they cycle the attraction at least one time, usually 2.

2 more Cast Members come in at park opening. 1 will take the Greeter position, and the other will walk the first group of Guests in.

• Koubu Pilot

I imagine any kinks in the process might cause the attraction to open late. So when an attraction goes 101 (breakdown), do they have to go through a similar process before reopening the attraction? Or do they just cycle it a few times after the suspected problem is fixed?

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Do all the Pirates boats get cleaned each night? Wiping down the seats and decks, and all that?

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

yeah, each attraction is different. The larger area attractions like Indy, pirates, Mansion, Space etc..... might require a walk through to cheack for safety hazards and cleansiness. Most of them have "power up" procedures, "Attraction will be powered up, please stand clear." I bet every attraction has to undergp at least one test cycle before opening to the public.

A friend told me that a Space Mountain CM comes in at 5 AM when opening to run the rockets through to warm the up.

• Guilty!

Quote Originally Posted by Koutesu
    I imagine any kinks in the process might cause the attraction to open late. So when an attraction goes 101 (breakdown), do they have to go through a similar process before reopening the attraction? Or do they just cycle it a few times after the suspected problem is fixed?
    It depends on the type of breakdown. If any sort of maintenance work is done on the attraction once it has been clean of Guests, it must by cycled one full time to make sure the issue is no longer there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sosai X
    Do all the Pirates boats get cleaned each night? Wiping down the seats and decks, and all that?
    Yes, the boats are either cleaned once a day by night crew Custodial crew or the 3rd shift Custodial crew.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan - Tasmic!
    A friend told me that a Space Mountain CM comes in at 5 AM when opening to run the rockets through to warm the up.
    I'm not sure if its 5 AM, but they do come in very early, especially on days the park opens at 8 because Space Mountain opens at 7 with early entry. I've heard Indy CMs have to be there 3 hours before the park opens, but don't quote me on that.

• Dont make me unfriend you

Quote Originally Posted by Sosai X View Post
    I used to work 3rd shift custodial 15 years ago. I never worked Pirates, but we cleaned the Small World boats every night.

We take out the trash from the boats, sweep and vacuum the seats each night. Wipe down the decks. If the seats were bad we would wipe down the seats as well.

When the park was opened late, I would start in the boat storage area and clean the boats in boat storage. Then once the park closed and the ride was cleared, I would start cleaning the boats on the ride. There are a couple of places along the flume where there is a rope and hook. One is where I would work to clean the boats. Another is just before the boats exit the tunnel. I would clean the first few boats and then ride them to just before they exit the tunnel. Then I would hook the first boat in place. That kept the boats from going outside and getting dirty again...

Then I would go back inside to where I hooked the rest of the boats at my cleaning spot. I would pick up the trash and sweep the stuff to the side of the boat. Then I would let a few boats go and vacuum them out as they passed my spot. Hook them to stop the boats and start the next few boats.

The second person would be out wiping down the decks of all of the boats. It would take two people about 4 hours (more or less, if I recall correctly) to clean all of the boats.

• Dont make me unfriend you

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post
    I'm curious about Monorail starting procedures...
    I don't remember too much of these. I do remember they would give warning announcements 5 minutes before powering up the track. They would give a 5 minute warning, 4 minute warning, 3 minute, 2, and then like a 1 minute and 30 second warning. These warnings were heard all along the track of the monorail.

The old people mover had a similar warning system. The people mover tunnels had flashing lights when the warning count down was being given.

Most rides give a warning that is heard through the ride building before powering up or down.

• Semi-Lurker

What about the AA figures? Are they really left on all night as I have read, and if they are why so? Do they even have individual on/off controls?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast