Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Follow me on Twitter!!!

Question Question for ALL Disneyland CMs, Especially those in Entertainment...

So for most of my life I have always had a dream of working in the entertainment dept at Disneyland. Being in parades, shows, meet and greets, you name it. I have met several entertainment cms who say they love their job. I have met other cms who also love their job. Someone I know is convinced that "the magic dies very fast" and that "anyone who works for the mouse and it's evil empire will tell you that they hate their jobs". What do you have to say to this? Sure, I know it is a job, so I know there are bad days, and that sometimes you would rather be somewhere else. But I think that in general, working there would be amazing. People always tell me that once I see the backstage that it will ruin it for me, but I think seeing backstage would make me like it even more. I am always curious to what goes on behind the scenes. Anyways, I was bothered from what my friend had to say. I am probably going to be moving to the area within a year or so for school, and am planning on auditioning to work there. I think it would be amazing to be a part of the magic, to make people happy. What's your opinion???
    *~*~*Prince Dalton*~*~*

• Dont make me unfriend you

Re: Question for ALL Disneyland CMs, Especially those in Entertainment...

I used to wok at DL, but never in Entrainment. I worked when the park was closed, (Midnight to 8 am).

There is an old joke, that might apply to your question...

A brand new CM went to an older veteran CM and asked, "What's it like working here?"

The older CM answered by asking, 'What was your old job like?"

The younger CM replied, "It was great! Everybody was friendly, the bosses were nice. I really loved it."

To this the older CM replied, "Yup.. It's like that here too."

Then a little later, a different new CM came to the same older CM and asked, ""What's it like working here?"

The older CM answered by asking, 'What was your old job like?"

This new CM said, "I hated my old job. The bosses were jerks. The co-workers were catty and always fighting.."

To this the older CM replied, "Yup.. It's like that here too."

What you get out depends a lot on what you bring in. Some love every second of it. Some don't. I worked there for two years. It had it good times and it had bad times for me. (Like most jobs). It was exciting to see the backstage stuff and what happens when the is closed. I have some fun stories to tell people who never had worked there.

I loved most of my managers. There were one or two that I didn't like. Same with co-CM's. Some were great, wonderful people. Some were not. I tried to spend time with the CM's I liked and not with those I didn't.

The night custodial staff was mostly made up of a different demographic of CM's then most departments. (I think) At 26. I was one of the younger guys working in my department and there were few girls. It seemed as if the "day" CM's had a lot of fun interacting with their follow CM's.

Like all jobs, there are rules and certain ways of doing things. There are time constarints and what not. It's not all fun and games. But I did enjoy working there.

Just let me add an aside. I had a friend who loved working there. We started at the same time. Our second summer there, he rented an apartment near DL. He was so excited to tell me that he could see and hear the fireworks from his new apartment. Near the end of the summer, I asked him how the new apartment was, he said, "I'm so sick of the fireworks." I thought it was pretty funny.

Every CM's have different experiences working at the park. Some love it. Some love it for awhile (can be anything from a few months to years) and some never like it, it's just a job.

I still love Disneyland. I live out of state, but I take my kids once or twice a year. I love it more that I know some of the "secrets".

• N/A

Garrett has some really good points.

I tend to think that there is a small percentage of people who are going to love the job no matter what. These are the people who are going to find fun in most things in their life. There is a large percentage of people who are there working, its a job and their feedback would fit most people's experience. Then there is a small percentage of people who will hate it no matter what. These people are going to find that in general no matter what they are doing the world is against them.

Maybe I'm part of that first group, I don't know. But I found the magic increased when I started working at the park. It is an amazing place. I'm not in entertainment so it is hard to say what that experience is like. I talked recently with a couple people, we were all peons from different departments. It happened to be a group of people who really loved their jobs and specifically enjoyed working at Disneyland. It's magic, it's an American icon and to be a part of those is just incredible.

Having said that it's a job and it isn't all fun and games. There's waking up early, staying up late, dealing with the heat, the cold, the wet, missing stuff with family and friends (because we work while others play), getting to work on time, clocking correctly and all the little details that really test your reliability and flexibility. It can be frustrating if you let those get to you.

I say if you're really into Disney and can understand the realities that it is a job; do it. Disneyland needs people who are taking the job in order to 'create happiness and make dreams come true' for the guests. If that's the reason you are coming here, please come and be part of 'the Disneyland Resort that is a source of joy and inspiration to all the world'!

• Don't lets be silly! șoș

princedalton, these are common concerns a lot of future Cast Members have. I tend to compare this concern with a magician: If you're one of those people who gets more excited knowing how they do it, then that's a great step in the right direction. If you're one of those people who wishes to do it, then this is absolutely for you!

If you truly love Disneyland, nothing is going to hinder your vision of the Magic. If you have a bad day, simply associate it to "work," and not "Disneyland." Though when you have a good day, give Disneyland the glory. This will only heighten the esteem and passion you have for the Resort.

I have friends in just about every department, and there are so many different reasons why they enjoy working at the Disneyland Resort. Often, they'll make you want to work harder, just from their stories! I have very inspiring friend, who's been with the Company for quite sometime, and I'll just talk to him because he's simply inspirational; heck, we don't even need to talk because he has this Disney ambiance about him, and you feel it simply standing next to him.

Entertainment is a tricky department; it's the only department where the rules of Show Business apply. However, because the department is so extensive, you can end up getting lost in simply wrapping your brain around which division you'd be best suited in. The hardest thing about Entertainment is you might be in a place where you don't have firsthand contact with the Guests. Though there are many a remedy for that.

If you're coming down for Collage, you might also want to look into the College Program, this is a wonderful way to get your foot in the door while gaining Collage credit.

I started my Disney journey in the Silicon Valley, as did quite a few other Cast Members. If you're in the area, send me a PM, and I'll be happy to sit down and chat.

Personally, I've been raised on Disney, so I love my job. Everyday I wake up I never feel like 'Damn, another day at work'. I can't wait to get into work, and I love making people happy. I love it when we have downtimes because it presents new challenges, I like meeting people from all around the world.

It all depends on the person, and I work Attractions, not Entertainment, so I would be of no help in that department, just in the regard that I do Guest Control for the parades (HSM 3, Pixar, and EP). I work in DCA, so if you have any question feel free to ask.

-Frank

• Zephyr Pilot

Working in DCA means I don't sick of Disneyland when I go there. I don't really think I'd get sick of it, either way. I'm fairly new still (September 2008), so maybe that's why I still have those "I can't believe I actually work here" moments. That moment last came when I was working a special event in Disneyland at midnight, four hours after park closing, just standing on an empty Main Street wearing a spiffy costume with a vest & tie with a one of those yellow flashlights in my hand.

Perhaps I don't dislike work yet because so far I've only been working on a couple of small attractions which don't get lines of more than 5 minutes, usually. Also, all my co-workers are pretty cool. I don't hate any of them and they're all pretty cool. I even like the ones I dislike. It's weird, I don't know why, really. I figure there's a reason why all of us were hired to be CMs.

Right now I actually look forward to going back to work during weekends. While I'm at school studying and walking around, I actually think to myself "Ugh, I wanna go back to work."

• cmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcm

Quote Originally Posted by Krillinish View Post
    Also, all my co-workers are pretty cool. I don't hate any of them and they're all pretty cool. I even like the ones I dislike. It's weird, I don't know why, really. I figure there's a reason why all of us were hired to be CMs.
    Totally agree. 100%.

"I'm not funny. What I am is brave." - Lucille Ball

• Follow me on Twitter!!!

Wow. Thank you all. I think it would be fun working in any department, really. I've just been doing the acting/singing/dancing thing since I was 5 and I have always wanted to pursue it. So I think maybe trying it out at my favorite place would be incredible. Even if I worked in attractions or even food, I think I would be so happy to be there. Everytime I go (about 5-6 times a year), I always get so depressed when I have to leave. I can't wait to someday have the chance to work there. Keep it coming! I'd love to hear from more cms! Especially some entertainment cms!
    *~*~*Prince Dalton*~*~*

There's drama, catty-ness, politics, stupid managers, long hours, tired days, lack of appreciation for what you do, obnoxious co-workers and low pay.....

and I love it.

Like others have said, every job has its downsides, and it's up to you as to how you'll view it. You are 99% responsible for whether you like or hate your job.

I love working in entertainment and there's no other department I'd ever work- for one, performing is simply what I do, and two (and most importantly), I don't have the patience to deal with some of the guest stories that I hear CMs talk about!!! They have my highest respect!

If it's something you want to do, go for it. You've really got nothing to lose if you're in a financial situation where you can afford to do it.

• Don't lets be silly! șoș

Quote Originally Posted by kcw View Post
    I love working in entertainment
    Your WDW craziness is much different then our Disneyland craziness, let's not get them confused. You and your WDW Entertainment color system... blah.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMouse View Post
    Your WDW craziness is much different then our Disneyland craziness, let's not get them confused. You and your WDW Entertainment color system... blah.
    Now, now. One team, one nightmare, uh, I mean Dream! One team, one dream !

I had alot happiness and excitement going through traditions with fellow CM's in training and whatnot. That quickly diminished as I actually started dealing with customers. In all my jobs I've never dealt with such rude "world revolves around me and my child" customers. Perhaps I just got unlucky with some of my positions, ie a custodial busser and restaurant appointment taker?

• DLR Cast Member

I don't know. I work the "front lines" as I work the Main Entrance, and I LOVE what I do every day. Pay stinks, but even now that I got a new job and was going to quit working at the park, I just CAN'T do it. I have to stay there.

I love being on the front line. Guests are mostly nice. And once in a while, I get to make a little "Disney" magic for some guests. Which REALLY makes my day.

Good luck man..Hoping for your success...
    Music is my LIFE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMouse View Post
    Craziness is craziness, no matter the location- that's the entire point of the post.... every job has it's craziness, and Disneyland is no different.

And for the record, I love the color code system. You don't have to audition a million times for every new parade, and more importantly, you get to do 100x more. Instead of doing the same parade (or two if you're lucky) day in and day out, you can do a parade one day, a dining shift that night, a show the next day, a special event the next, and regular M&Gs the next....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast