Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Question Question about getting rehired

Hi, I worked for Disneyland in custodial department back in 1992-1993. When they cut my hours back to only 5 hours a week in September after working over 40 hours every week, I had to find another job. For 3 months I gave away my 5 hours a week to other cast members who needed the shift since I found a full time job somewhere else. Finally in November I resigned.

Well, it's been 16 years and I've been working in construction all this time. In fact after I left Disney I worked for Golden State Framers and I built that Hunchback of Notre Dam Attraction at DL. After that I worked on Universal Studios when they remodeled the entrance and shops. Anyway, I went back to apply for the maintenance department as a finish carpenter and told them I worked there many years ago. It took them forever to look up my old records and they told me I was on a no-rehire status, but wouldn't give me a reason why. So I filled out some forms for a appeal which they told me would take about 3 weeks. After a month I called and they said it would take longer because the appeals people only meet periodically. So, I ended up waiting at least 2 months until I finally received a letter in the mail saying I could not be rehired, but they didn't give me any reason.

I have no reason why I am on a no rehire status, and why they won't rehire me. As far as I can remember I was a great cast member, never called in sick, never came in late, and never missed a shift. When I was originally hired I was a supposed to be a seasonal casual temporary(CT), but after my training they changed my status to casual regular(CR) because they said they liked me and I did a good job. Is there any way to find out why I am on a no rehire status and why they won't rehire me. I could understand if there were no job openings, but to say I can't be rehired and not even give any explanation is strange.

Anyone have any idea what to do?

Another side note: The whole reason I got into construction as a carpenter was because I was inspired by a Disneyland carpenter in the maintenance dept when I worked there. He told me how to become a carpenter and it was sort of a dream of mine to one day come back and keep Disneyland looking great, but now it seems that dream has been squashed for some unknown reason.
    Last edited by BKFranks; 03-09-2009 at 07:23 PM.

• HauntedOne999

Re: Question about getting rehired

Disney does that to alot of people... I had a workers Comp case and quit because they were going to terminate me (for presenteeism) for going to doctors appointments which I had to go to for Workers Comp. for me the only way for me to get hired back in is to file suit against the park to clear my record.

you may have to go thru the same thing... you would need to call your old union to get the ball moving.
    Known in most other circles as "HauntedOne999"

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!"

Disneyland CM Dec. 2005 - May 2007

• Former Cast Member

I'm kind of in the same situation! I HAVE a positive re-hire status and they won't rehire me back in AND I've been told 3 different stories! I know exactly what your going through... I've been going through it since December :-(

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Alpoe001 View Post
    Disney does that to alot of people... I had a workers Comp case and quit because they were going to terminate me (for presenteeism) for going to doctors appointments which I had to go to for Workers Comp. for me the only way for me to get hired back in is to file suit against the park to clear my record.

you may have to go thru the same thing... you would need to call your old union to get the ball moving.
    It's been years. I don't even remember what union it was. Anyone have any idea. I worked in the custodial dept. I can only assume it's the SEIU.
    Last edited by BKFranks; 03-09-2009 at 10:49 PM.

• Guilty!

If it's the same one as now, its Teamsters Local 495.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BKFranks View Post
    Hi, I worked for Disneyland in custodial department back in 1992-1993. When they cut my hours back to only 5 hours a week in September after working over 40 hours every week, I had to find another job. For 3 months I gave away my 5 hours a week to other cast members who needed the shift since I found a full time job somewhere else. Finally in November I resigned.

Well, it's been 16 years and I've been working in construction all this time. In fact after I left Disney I worked for Golden State Framers and I built that Hunchback of Notre Dam Attraction at DL. After that I worked on Universal Studios when they remodeled the entrance and shops. Anyway, I went back to apply for the maintenance department as a finish carpenter and told them I worked there many years ago. It took them forever to look up my old records and they told me I was on a no-rehire status, but wouldn't give me a reason why. So I filled out some forms for a appeal which they told me would take about 3 weeks. After a month I called and they said it would take longer because the appeals people only meet periodically. So, I ended up waiting at least 2 months until I finally received a letter in the mail saying I could not be rehired, but they didn't give me any reason.

I have no reason why I am on a no rehire status, and why they won't rehire me. As far as I can remember I was a great cast member, never called in sick, never came in late, and never missed a shift. When I was originally hired I was a supposed to be a seasonal casual temporary(CT), but after my training they changed my status to casual regular(CR) because they said they liked me and I did a good job. Is there any way to find out why I am on a no rehire status and why they won't rehire me. I could understand if there were no job openings, but to say I can't be rehired and not even give any explanation is strange.

Anyone have any idea what to do?

Another side note: The whole reason I got into construction as a carpenter was because I was inspired by a Disneyland carpenter in the maintenance dept when I worked there. He told me how to become a carpenter and it was sort of a dream of mine to one day come back and keep Disneyland looking great, but now it seems that dream has been squashed for some unknown reason.
    You generally have to find someone in HR with the Authority to get past the standard replies and the permission to see the information in the records.

There may not be a specific reason there. A manager can give the status without specifics showing up. Your not doing shifts for an extended period, even if you 'gave them away' sounds a bit suspicious and someone might have taken that into consideration when you left.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYardDog View Post
    You generally have to find someone in HR with the Authority to get past the standard replies and the permission to see the information in the records.

There may not be a specific reason there. A manager can give the status without specifics showing up. Your not doing shifts for an extended period, even if you 'gave them away' sounds a bit suspicious and someone might have taken that into consideration when you left.
    We were allowed to trade shifts or find someone else to work for you. All that was needed was a little form that was given to the scheduler. Since they cut everyone's hours, a lot of people were leaving and the one's that stayed really needed the hours so it was no problem finding someone to work those shifts. I had to find another job to pay the bills because 5 hours a week wasn't going to doing it. Other than that I always worked when I was supposed to, I was always on time, I never called in sick, and I always made sure my shift was covered.

Quote Originally Posted by Scream162 View Post
    If it's the same one as now, its Teamsters Local 495.
    You're mixing up departments. Custodial (currently, I don't know about 15 years ago) is under SEIU Local 1877.

Their website is not that much help, but they do maintain an office for DLR CMs, it's shared with Unite HERE Local 50.

527 South Harbor Boulevard
    Anaheim

Meetings

• :)

blood oath is now required for rehire

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    blood oath is now required for rehire
    lol

• cmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcm

Hm. Didn't know it was so hard to rehire. Ugh.

"I'm not funny. What I am is brave." - Lucille Ball

• Sock Puppet

do they tell no rehire status over the phone? bouncing around the TDA phone system just ended with "bring your photo id to the hire center and we look it up"

• cmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcm

I thought about the whole phone thing but just crossed my fingers when I walked in.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by ashley solo View Post
    I thought about the whole phone thing but just crossed my fingers when I walked in.
    i live 280+ miles away so that's kinda hard

• cmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcm

Quote Originally Posted by westonsheppup View Post
    i live 280+ miles away so that's kinda hard
    Oh no I understand, I live 400+ miles away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast