DLR Foods Union Seperates from Unite HERE

Continuing the epic tale of the great DLR Food & Beverage Union Migration, Local 50, the Union representing Food & Beverage Cast Members at Disneyland Park and Disney's California Adventure Park, has split off from Unite HERE and has joined with other former Unite HERE Unions to form Workers United, a new labour union.

Local 50 President Sandi Ecklund has been elected as an International Vice President of the new Union International.

MySpace.com Blogs - New Union Workers United - Local 50 MySpace Blog

Making it even more confusing, Workers United has signed an agreement affiliating itself with SEIU, which now means that there are two SEIU Unions at the DLR, both of which are housed in the same building (Local 50 rented out some space a few months ago to SEIU Local 1877, representing Custodial, Main Entrance and Costuming among other things).

Honestly, I'm not sure what to make of all this....it's certainly an interesting development. However, given all that's happening in F&B right now, particularly with ODV, I'm sure they could have picked a better time.

And of course, there's no word from Disney (that I know of) on whether they will continue to honour with SEIU-Workers United Local 50 the treaty they signed with Unite HERE Local 50....

Re: DLR Foods Union Seperates from Unite HERE

Definitely vague, I'm anxious to find out what this actually means for Food & Bev. We probably wont really know until we get a new contract at the end of the summer. Judging by the way this union negotiated the last 2 contracts, most likely nothing will change and/or they'll just fold for whatever Disney wants.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Hey, look at the positive, you no longer have the crazy insane folks like Ada in charge!

There is No way the new folks can be as bad as Unite Here 11.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    Hey, look at the positive, you no longer have the crazy insane folks like Ada in charge!

There is No way the new folks can be as bad as Unite Here 11.
    It's actually the same leadership as before, just a different name and legal entity. Parks F&B hasn't been with Local 681/11 for a while now, lol.

• Dont make me unfriend you

I love the union name, "Workers United", it sounds..so..so.. Red. Yeah that's the word I'll use, "red".

It will most likely help the union having just one business unit in it and not being with custodial, main gate, ect.... I think it was too easy for Disney to play the different groups off of each other to get what they wanted on contacts.