Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Go Bears!

This may sound odd, but I have too many hours!

I'm still extremely new, I just finished all of my OJT, but looking at my schedule for the next 2 weeks, I'm starting to feel a little overwhelmed. I'm a Foods Cashier, by the way.

Does Disneyland like to give new hires tons of hours, but then over time they'll start to calm down? I feel like everybody is always wanting more hours, but I just wanted a summer job and I'm practically working 40 hours a week! Is this just what happens during the summer (Speaking of that, I applied as a CT but for some reason I am a CR...Why did that happen? o_O).

I mean, I really like my job (at least, I think. It hasn't been very long yet, after all. And I'm still a little bit lost :P), but I really don't need all these hours and I'm sure there are tons of other CM's that would like them...I'm just a high school student, I don't really need the money, I just want the experience.

Where exactly do I go to bring this up? Should I just give my production scheduler a call? I don't want to cause any problems considering how new I am, but I want to have at least some time to enjoy my summer with my family. I hope I don't come across as lazy - it's just that I really don't need all these hours, I'm just a high school student on break, and I don't really get the impression that Disney is understaffed.

• Splash/Mansion/Big Boats

Re: This may sound odd, but I have too many hours!

You want to tell them to schedule you less!?

You are a brave cast member! May Mickey have mercy on your work status.

They arent going to give you less yours when you agreed to work at disneyland you agreed to be fully available and work full time in the summer.

• Go Bears!

Hehehe, well that's why I'm asking here first. Speaking of my work status, though, I was under the impression that I would be a CT, but I'm not. :/

I know CT's are fully available during the summer, too, so it doesn't really matter, but now I'll have to transfer to CT once school is around the corner in mid-August....

well CRs only have to be avail fri night sat and sun during the school sched
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz-c7Ees4QQ

Come Celebrate with us, we can't wait to meet ya!

• Don't lets be silly! șoș

It also depends on which department you're in. Most of the people not getting hours are in Entertainment and Attractions, because they simply hire way too many people.

• Go Bears!

Speaking of Attractions, after how much time are you allowed to submit a transfer request? Obviously, I'm not going to do that anytime soon considering how new I am, but I did mention to my recruiter when I was hired that my main interest is Attractions (I applied for Attractions, but I was offered a job as a foods cashier so I took it). She told me that once I turn 18 they could "look into that." :/

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I guess I'm way out of touch with today's Disneyland CM.

When I saw the title of this thread, I figured they might be giving you 50 hours a week or more.

Granted it was back in the stone age, but especially in foods, 40 hours a week during summer season was expected.

Granted, I wasn't a cashier - those folks probably had shorter shifts even back then.

If I were you, I'd give some thought to being asked to be scheduled less. There's the reason someone cited above, and also the fact that the way the economy is right now, it's not a bad thing to have some extra money for "rainy days".
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Go Bears!

Well, I guess so. But I seriously would have applied to work at Disneyland if it were volunteerwork. I simply don't need the money - that's not why I applied to work there. I just don't have a need for it, I don't really buy anything...my parents still do. I'm not complaining (everyone likes money! ), but I figure others probably would like to have the hours? Others that are working at Disneyland full-time and as their career - not as a little summer job.

The reason I posted this was to see if 40 hours a week during the summer is to be expected, or if it's only because I'm a new-hire...I thought, given the economy, everyone was struggling to get enough hours, so this is a little surprising to me.

I guess I underestimated how much I'd be working, and that's my own fault. But I didn't think a high school junior would be given 40 hours a week - the standard hours for a full-time job. :/ I was planning on visiting some college campuses and touring and stuff like that...Now I really can't...hehe. :P

And @Radiobarry, I don't think you're "out of touch with today's CM." I'm definitely in the minority in terms of feeling overscheduled, and I'm definitely not trying to represent every CM.

• Mickey Mouse Slave

Well, ive heard due to the QSR-ODV transition, MANY people quit on the spot. Now, those slots now available now needs to be filled.

They called me constantly asking me to pick up a 6th day and 7th day. Im like eeeek, too much Disney for meeeee!
    ~ A Cute, Little, Fuzzy, Silly, and Chubby Cast Member ~

Man, must be nice. I can't even get hired there yet (still on the wait list) and I am desperate for money! You should be happy!

40+ hours in foods during peak season is expected. So far for 2009 I'm averaging over 40 hours per week and over five days per week. And that's for the whole year, not just peak season. (I'm a CR.) So for anyone looking for hours, foods is the place to be. And scheduling has been handing out 10-12 hour shifts like candy.

• Don't lets be silly! șoș

Quote Originally Posted by KevRus View Post
    Speaking of Attractions, after how much time are you allowed to submit a transfer request? Obviously, I'm not going to do that anytime soon considering how new I am, but I did mention to my recruiter when I was hired that my main interest is Attractions (I applied for Attractions, but I was offered a job as a foods cashier so I took it). She told me that once I turn 18 they could "look into that." :/
    Six months to transfer out of your department, four for an inner department transfer.

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Well, shoot... throw some of those hours my way. Since we have 39029693 College Program kids in our already small department, I got 10.5 hours on the new schedule.

The week after July 4th. Peak season. 10.5 hours.

Sigh.

---

Attractions is 18+ only. Foods and ODV are pretty much the only departments that hire minors.
    Burnt Toast
    The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

• Zephyr Pilot

I've never had anything close to 40 hours a week and I've been working for 9 months now. I average about 25 hours a week in attractions. I even get the occasional 4-hour shift now and then.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast