Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

guest experience vs. working there

Everyone always tells me that sence I know so much about Disneyland, and I know so much about Walt Disney that I should apply at Disneyland. I would love to work there but I'm curious about 1 thing. Seeing Disneyland as a guest, going all the time and experiencing the magic as everyone else is why I love going to Disneyland, the feeling as if you've left the outside world behind... my question is does working there kinda kill that magic? Is it a let down knowing how things are ran, how they make the magic work? This is my big issue, I don't want to change the way I see Disneyland, and I feel that if I do get a job there, the fun and happiness that I experience may fade away. What are your intakes on it? Did any of you have that run through your mind before you applied?

Re: guest experience vs. working there

For me personally, I still love going to Disneyland, and it is still a very magical place. I mean sure, I've only worked there for almost three months... but yeah. I love working there and I love being a guest.

• Embrace the kitsch!

This question has been asked before and the simplest answer is: YMMV. Everyone agrees being a CM changes the magic forever, but how it changes is different for different people. Some say it destroys the magic; some say it accentuates it.

The better question to ask yourself is whether it's a risk you're willing to take. There's no way to predict how working at DL will change the park for you. Are you ready to roll those dice or would you rather stick w/ the sure thing?
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

• Banned User

Stick with the sure thing

• Banned User

For me personally, it has been a rollercoaster of mixed feelings. Sometimes, I hate Disneyland so much when I go to work, sometimes I miss going as a guest so much that I love Disneyland even more for it. It really is just what mood I'm in. Sometimes I do feel it has tarnished my view of the company and other times I feel it's brought out a better light. Really, it's just different everyday.

• Embrace the kitsch!

Quote Originally Posted by startours1 View Post
    Stick with the sure thing
    In that case, don't do it.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

• Minion

I worked there from '83 through '94 and while I certainly had a different perspective on the place after having worked there, it didn't lead to any loss of the magic. I would have be one of those who would say my feelings toward the place were accentuated by the experience.

• I came I saw I celebrated

I have to agree with what Broadway Guru and CASurfer65 have said about the magic being "accenctuated." I was a cast member from the fall of '07 to the summer of '08 as a high school student. Sure, seeing a parade being prepped for the first time may be a little awkward, but I was able to get past it. Knowing that you're part of the process, you kind of feel of empowered to spread your own version of magic to guests.

You don't have to worry about having the fun ruined. Cast members, well at least the many I've encountered from working at the resorts, have made their own fun while still "valuing the magic." Some cast members may find that quoted phrase a cliche part of the SERVICE model, but it's what we both present and, yes, sometimes even former CMs think when we think of Disney customer service.

If you do decide to apply, that's great. You'll be part of the continuing tradition of thousands of cast members that have worked for the Mouse and more importantly, toward the spreading of magic to millions of guests. If you don't, that'll be fine too. You'll just be another reason and guest to spread magic to.
    -Jeff
    (sorry if I overused the word "magic")

• Sock Puppet

Blog Entries

Its different for everyone. I know a lot of cast members where it has changed the magic for them a little in a negative way, they still enjoy the park but they have a negative outlook on the company. For myself, the magic hasn't left at all. My onky problem has been working too much and not visiting as much as I'd like, Id often feel as if I was working so much I was never able to actually able to just go in and have normal fun. The magic has always and will always stay with me, I love visiting Disneyland and I truly love working at Disneyland. But thats just me. I sometimes feel that my opinion on this subject is rare. So you need to either take the chance and see how it goes, or like what the other said stick with what you know for sure. Really it;s all about how badly you want it. Does your heart really want to work at Disneyland? Do you want to be a PART of the magic or do you just want to enjoy the magic? There is a difference. Follow your heart.

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

There's actually a dictionary definition for this:

"pixie dusted"
    pix·ie dust·ed

1. describes the after-effects and/or trauma that a fan of products of the Walt Disney Company experiences when he/she goes to work at a Disney theme park. Initial expecations of 'backstage' or behind-the-scenes magic are shattered when the new employee sees what really goes on in the daily operations, practices, and politics of said theme park, that are not visible to the general public. The employee is left disillusioned and unsatisfied with the experience, and is then said to have been 'pixie dusted'.

• Minion

Work at DCA, play at Disneyland.
    I want my cake back!

•   
    • RCMC: Java Junkie

This is how I've had to look at things when I go on vacation. Everytime I'm on vacation somewhere, I sit there and say yeah I could live here. But remember being on vacation somewhere and having fun & doing what you want & when you want is totally different from living there and dealing with the day to day job and activities.

So it could be said that working in an amusement park you love and visiting it and doing what you want are two totally different views. But then again it could depend on the person on their point of view and how they let their job affect them. Some people don't allow their job to get them down or affect them. Maybe you will find the behind the scene's stuff interesting? So it may not necessarily be a bad thing.

Hope you got a different perspective and what to think about and take into consideration.

• Zephyr Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by seenoevil View Post
    Work at DCA, play at Disneyland.
    That's what I do. Working at DCA is a huge reason why I can still be as amazed with Disneyland as I am. And having the occasional guest control shift in Disneyland is fun while still preserving the magic for all the attractions I love over there.

• Nerd

Go for it!
    Disneyland is a cool place on stage and off stage. The "Magic" is what we make of it, its all in our heads anyway. Work there. Its fun!!! Go there to play. That's fun too!!! My wife came home today after being there all day (working) and at dinner said..."who wants to go to Disneyland?" I think there is a different magic for CM's but it doesn't really take away from the regular everyday enjoyment of the park.
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

• Disneyland CM

All I can say is that I find Disneyland to be a very magical and fun place to work. Yes it has its downsides at times but what job doesn't. Being able to make magic for guests and make their dreams come true is what makes the job worthwhile. Knowing you are part of the magic and tradition started back in 1955 is so special in itself to me. Then when your not working you get to experience Disneyland as a guest and experience the magic guests experience each day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast