Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Sock Puppet

Need Some Advice From Fellow Cast Members

I am in a big time quandry right now and I need some advice from fellow cast members regarding my dilema.

I am a former cast member (2000-2001), who is considering coming back to the company that I hold dear to my heart. Currently I work for Statr Farm Insurance in auto claims and have been doing this for the last 7 yrs. I absolutely hate it and the insurance industry is not for me at all. I did the 2 job thing in 2000-2001, which was tough and I had to quit Disneyland becuae of the long hours (almost 80 hours a week), but due to hard work on my part, I was promoted to working lead in just 3 months time. If I had been scheduled 40 hours a week lead shifts, then I could havd afforded to quit the Farm, but that was not so due to the senioirty structure.

Anyway, I know the dire need for cast members, especially in foods and since my job knowledge is there, I would go back to foods. I would also be seeking full time employment, cuz I heard they are hiring people off the streets full time with benefits and since I am a rehire, I do not feel that I would not have a prblem getting back in as a full time cast member.

Now the only negative that has me really scared is that I will take a major cut in pay, at least half a cut of my current salary. I have talke this over with my fiancee and she is 100% supportive of me, but is also scared due to my debt situation and we are getting married next October. I feel, like Walt did, that a person needs to take a risk to be successful and I feel like I want to take the risk, even though I am apprehensive. I want to go to casting tomorrow (11/7/05)amd at least see what they have to offer. Again, I hate where I am at now, and I want to be at a place that I know I will be happy, despite the drama that happenes at the park. I feel, thorugh my hard work, that I can move up the ranks again, because I am there for the long haul, unlike a college student who is just making extra money. Would this be worth the risk, cutting my salary in half, hoping that I can become a lead again, in a short period of time, or is it not worth the risk. I would appreciate any input about my potential decision here.

Thanks to all who reply.

Glenn

• Dont make me unfriend you

Re: Need Some Advice From Fellow Cast Members

It sucks working a job that you hate. I know when I have I job I hate, I do a lousy job. I do what I have to, barely. That does not win many promotions.

On the other hand, if you love your job, work had, ect ect, promotions are much more likely.

The question is if you can afford to cut your pay in half and still pay your bills. Will you still be able to pay rent, food, gas, ect? If can you can do it, I say give it a go.

It's better to try now, then after you are married. Starting now, will at least give you nearly a year to see if you can make it work.

Good luck, Man.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

That's good advice- sit down and look at your bills- what is the absolute minimum you can afford to make and still get buy. Since you are a rehire and former lead, you may have a little bit of leverage to ask for a better salary than they would normally offer to a new hire.

Make sure you really think things through, especially since you are about to get married. Weddings are expensive and it adds a ton of stress if there is a cash flow shortage (unless her parents are paying for all of it, mine didn't, so we had to pay for a lot of it ourselves) Also, its not good to add that stress to a new relationship. If you are strapped for cash all the time and still working a lot, it will wear on you eventually. Money is a huge issue for couples and sometimes its worth sticking through a bad job if its going to get you in a better place eventually. You have to ask yourself if this is the best decision- are you going to work at the park for a long time? Can you make enough money to be comfortable if you get the seniority you want? Is this risk going to provide the best life possible?

Good luck with whatever you decide. My husband and I took a similar risk shortly after we were married- we moved 2000 miles away so I could go back to school. Things have been tight, but it was a good risk for us as we have been able to save money, pay off our debts, buy a house, etc. The degree I am working towards will ensure our financial security for the rest of our lives, so the sacrifices now will definitely pay off.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett240
    It sucks working a job that you hate. I know when I have I job I hate, I do a lousy job. I do what I have to, barely. That does not win many promotions.

On the other hand, if you love your job, work had, ect ect, promotions are much more likely.

The question is if you can afford to cut your pay in half and still pay your bills. Will you still be able to pay rent, food, gas, ect? If can you can do it, I say give it a go.

It's better to try now, then after you are married. Starting now, will at least give you nearly a year to see if you can make it work.

Good luck, Man.

Thanks, I appreciate that. It will be hard as far as bills go, I can probably pay them, but it will not leave really any $$ for necessities. I will still soul search on this. Thanks for your input.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by dramaqueen
    That's good advice- sit down and look at your bills- what is the absolute minimum you can afford to make and still get buy. Since you are a rehire and former lead, you may have a little bit of leverage to ask for a better salary than they would normally offer to a new hire.

Make sure you really think things through, especially since you are about to get married. Weddings are expensive and it adds a ton of stress if there is a cash flow shortage (unless her parents are paying for all of it, mine didn't, so we had to pay for a lot of it ourselves) Also, its not good to add that stress to a new relationship. If you are strapped for cash all the time and still working a lot, it will wear on you eventually. Money is a huge issue for couples and sometimes its worth sticking through a bad job if its going to get you in a better place eventually. You have to ask yourself if this is the best decision- are you going to work at the park for a long time? Can you make enough money to be comfortable if you get the seniority you want? Is this risk going to provide the best life possible?

Good luck with whatever you decide. My husband and I took a similar risk shortly after we were married- we moved 2000 miles away so I could go back to school. Things have been tight, but it was a good risk for us as we have been able to save money, pay off our debts, buy a house, etc. The degree I am working towards will ensure our financial security for the rest of our lives, so the sacrifices now will definitely pay off.

Thanks you so much, believe me I have sat down and have been thinking this through constantly for the past week, weighing the good and bad and of course there is good and bad in this. I have called casting several times to get advice from them, but they seem like they do not want to help out and at least answer my questions, instead come on down and go through the process. I just don't want to waste my time. At the same time, I do want to take this risk. I will keep pondering this throughout this morning and then go down this afternoon.

• Dont make me unfriend you

So long as you don't burn any bridges at your current job, it can't hurt to go down and talk to them. See what they have to offer. Is there an old manager from when you worked that is still there? Maybe call him/her and talk with them and see what they have to say.

Either way, let us know how it goes today.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett240
    So long as you don't burn any bridges at your current job, it can't hurt to go down and talk to them. See what they have to offer. Is there an old manager from when you worked that is still there? Maybe call him/her and talk with them and see what they have to say.

Either way, let us know how it goes today.
    Well I already found out my answer, even before going down to casting and it is not positive. There are 2 numbers that potential recruits can call. One is an 800 number and then there is a 714 number. The 800 # is a call center, whereas the 714# gets you directly into casting at Disneyland. What pisses me off is that the 800# people do not have the right information to pass on to recruits. For instance, I was going to go down this last Saturday and apply and right before I was leaving, I called up the 800 # and they told me that casting was closed on Saturdays, after being told it was open by another cast member on Friday. Well, come to find out, casting was open on Saturday and because I did not go down there, I lost the opportunity to land a fullt time job, they have all been filled and the only thing they have is CR positions, which will not work around my full time job hours. All I can say is unbelieveable, What a mess.

So my attractions mangaer friend, will keep me posted as to when these full time positions will open up again.

• Gobble Effing Gobble (TM)

Having been to Disney, left, and returned... all I can offer you is this: The second time around is different from the first. Things won't be the way you remember them. That doesn't necessarily translate into a bad thing... but things won't be the same as before.

• Sock Puppet

i know that. I have actually worked at the park 4 different times throughout the years.

• Minion

Is being a lead in foods all you plan to do with your life? I can understand struggling through for awhile if you were going to school for a CAREER. Maybe you missing out this weeked could be looked at as an omen.

• Sock Puppet

that's what i see it as. No i do not want to just settle for a lead, but go beyond that into mgmt.

• Gobble Effing Gobble (TM)

I suppose my third time tangoing with the mouse was enough for me. I enjoy working WITH Disney more than working for them

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

TENORDRUMMER, what did you decide?

One question I always ask myself when faced with a situation like this is: will I regret it in the future if I do/don't _______ (fill in the blank)? Giving myself an honest answer really helps me decide which direction to go, and to not regret my decision even if it turns out later not to have been the best possible choice, because at least I won't have the regret that I never tried.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by speederscout
    TENORDRUMMER, what did you decide?

One question I always ask myself when faced with a situation like this is: will I regret it in the future if I do/don't _______ (fill in the blank)? Giving myself an honest answer really helps me decide which direction to go, and to not regret my decision even if it turns out later not to have been the best possible choice, because at least I won't have the regret that I never tried.
    Well I decided against it for now. At this point in my life, I cannot afford a pay cut of half my salary. Also, there needs to be better communication in casting between the regular casting office and the phone center. The phone center always gives conflicting info to prospective recruits. For example, I called on Friday and talked to a cast member and he told me that casting was open on Saturday. Well come Saturday I called again just to verify, cuz I was getting ready to go down there and a gal said they were closed. Well of course I was pissed. So, I was going to down down yesterday (MOnday) and I called casting to ask if there was still full time openings available. In the course of the conversation I was told that casting in fact was open this past Saturday, also the full time positions were already filled in foods. Because of this miscommunication with casting, I blew my shot at a full time, benefitted position. All they had was CR positions, but i could not accept because my full time job schedule won't work with Disney's. I work in Irvine and get off at 5:30 pm, right in the middle of traffic. So, this is another miserable failure.

I think I am going to give up going back to work for Disney for now anyway. There is just too much negative feedback from what you hear from cast members. The pay sucks and benefits are extremely limited, plus they have a union that is almost worthless. It is just not worth the hassle. I will keep Disneyland as my playground.

Thanks for all of your support and advice.

Glenn

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

What a loss for Disney.

TDA, are you getting this??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast