• in the Golden Afternoon

Red Face A few questions about working Disneyland/ housing etc.

I did some research, couldn't find too much info, so I thought I'd go straight to the source!

My boyfriend got a referral to work at Disneyland, and he's hoping to take that offer up early next year. So we are planning on moving down there (we are up in the Bay Area) for school, and work. And I need some major help guys..

1. It looks like housing isn't available to regular CM, and only to the college program, however the program doesn't allow opposite genders to share a room. Correct?

2. How much, on average, does the CM make? I'm assuming right around minimum wage...

3. Looking for an apartment, where would the best place to live? (I'm not familiar with Southern California at all) Based on closeness to the park (because gas prices are terrible), cost of rent, and the neighborhood.

4. Does Disney offer any medical coverage to their employees? I have my own, but my boyfriend doesn't.

I think that may be it..
    Even if you can only answer one question, any help is SO appreciated!
    Last edited by WeWantsTheRedhead; 07-10-2010 at 01:36 PM.

Re: A few questions about working Disneyland/ housing etc.

How far are you willing to travel to work? Living in Orange County can be pretty expensive. Wages depend on what you will be doing and your experience. Health insurance is offered to full time CMs. What kind of job was he offered?

• in the Golden Afternoon

He wasn't offered a specific job, he was given like a reference card from a Casting Scout in DCA.

• Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by dmomof4 View Post
    How far are you willing to travel to work? Living in Orange County can be pretty expensive. Wages depend on what you will be doing and your experience. Health insurance is offered to full time CMs. What kind of job was he offered?
    Just to clarify: Health insurance is offered to CM's who have the full time "classification" my wife works full time and then some, but does not get any insurance. She isn't classified as full time. (one of these days...)

Find an apartment somewhere in Orange - down Katella ave east from Disneyland. Reasonably priced places with a quick and simple commute to work.
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

• A Weather Eye Open

Quote Originally Posted by WeWantsTheRedhead View Post
    He wasn't offered a specific job, he was given like a reference card from a Casting Scout in DCA.
    You should know, any CM can be a casting scout, and it only constitutes an invitation to apply. This doesn't mean he'll be hired quickly, if at all. It does mean that the person who gave him the card thought he was friendly and has what Disney looks for in CMs, and also that the person who referred him will receive a bonus if he is hired.

Technically, he will have the same chance of being hired as any other person (with the same desired qualities), and there is no advantage in the hiring process compared to if he had just decided to apply on his own, out of the blue.

If you want to move down here though, go for it! It's a fun area to live in. I also recommend looking in Orange; it's got a cute small town feel and a very short drive to the Resort. I came to Orange for school and don't plan on leaving anytime soon; there are areas with high rent and low rent, and plenty of apartment complexes and even some nice houses for rent.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

OK, so I'm moving from out of the area, so for now I'll be staying in cheap motels/hotels. Trying to find a low-cost apartment / studio or a favorable room share. I actually would prefer to lease my own apartment and rent out the extra room / bed.

There seem to be some affordable places on Ball Road, but I heard that is an iffy area to live. But, at $800/month or so ... it's reasonable.

Did find a nice 1 BR in Riverside for $770ish, which is a nice price. However, I heard the commute to Disneyland can be a nightmare, unless you have a Fastrak transponder ... which lets you breeze by the congestion.

I saw that Extended Stay America in Yorba Linda has an efficiency studio for $900. Not bad, given that it's fully furnished and includes utilities, weekly housekeeping, basic cable/TV, etc. with Internet only $4.99 more per month.

Really looking at $700-$900 per month ($900 tops). Did find room shares for $350-$550, but would really need to screen roommates. Any tips for finding shares with other Disneyland CMs? Do the CMs have break room board or anything like that for those purposes?

I also know I can go to CSU Fullerton and check with the student center boards about roommate shares.

Any good tips?

Also, since benefits were mentioned, does Disney allow CRs to even buy into the health plans -- at employee's full expense? Need an affordable insurance policy.

• Future CM...someday șoș

I could be wrong, but when I applied I think the lowest rate for any job I saw was $9 or $9.10. It varies depending on what he's appying for. Disneyland Job Opportunities | Disneyland Resort| Disney Careers | Disney.com This site talks about that. Also, rent.com is a very helpful site in finding apartments. I eventually want to move down near Anaheim so I've been on this site alot.

• Mousekateer!

college program sucks i just left from there and you do NOT want to be in carnagie plaza.... we had too many people getting hurt (not to mention we had someone killed) and they don't allow a lot of dumb things into the apartments.... I would suggest going elsewhere to live and not participating in the college program

• Multi-decade CM

Quote Originally Posted by kingskipster View Post
    Did find a nice 1 BR in Riverside for $770ish, which is a nice price. However, I heard the commute to Disneyland can be a nightmare, unless you have a Fastrak transponder ... which lets you breeze by the congestion.
    Even FastTrack gets backed up, and it only goes for 10 miles. You'll still end up having to merge into regular traffic and the points where they did the merging wasn't thought out very well. The traffic you avoid by using FastTrack will eat you alive when you get back into regular traffic.

The prices are more affordable outside Orange County, but you'll end up spending extra in fuel costs. maintenance, and aggravation.

If you insist on living in Riverside, get Fridays off. Friday traffic going out of Anaheim on the 91 would make Godzilla cry. And if there's an accident or rain.......

• Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthope View Post
    Even FastTrack gets backed up, and it only goes for 10 miles. You'll still end up having to merge into regular traffic and the points where they did the merging wasn't thought out very well. The traffic you avoid by using FastTrack will eat you alive when you get back into regular traffic.

The prices are more affordable outside Orange County, but you'll end up spending extra in fuel costs. maintenance, and aggravation.

If you insist on living in Riverside, get Fridays off. Friday traffic going out of Anaheim on the 91 would make Godzilla cry. And if there's an accident or rain.......
    oh by the way, the fastrack is kind of expensive anyway, depending on the time of day, 2.50 to 5.00 one way. that will eat up most of the money you save living so far away. In order to work at DLR, you really want to be at least 30 minutes away or less - by the time you add parking and taking the Cast Tram to your area, and walking into the park, you will easily add another 20 to 30 minutes - So now, you're at an hour - Then you get a 6 hour shift and you've commuted for 30 percent of your work time. It sort of doesn't add up.
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

Ruled out Riverside. It is just too far. Even Corona seems like a bit of a stretch.

Ended up settling on Anaheim Hills/Yorba Linda. Only about a 20-minute drive or so ... plus a really nice area. When for safety, quality area, over saving a few bucks.