• Project 626

Fantasmic Job Positions Questions.

Hi there im new to micechat so hello everyone. Now ive been in love with disneyand since i was able to take my first steps into that park. Since i can remember i love the fantasmic show. Now that im older, i received my associates of science degree in film. Being a fan of movies i follow that path. But when it comes down i have always been curious and wanting to know. What are the job positions for fantasmic. In terms of lighting and setting up for the show. And where possible can i go to school to get trained for that. Please help me anything tips will be appreciated, if you want to see some of my disneyland photography i will soon be posting pictures, any one reccomend a website where i can load them up?...

Thank you. Edwin

• Legends never die...

Re: Fantasmic Job Positions Questions.

Hey Edwin! There are tons of positions in Fantasmic, most of which are under the Technical Services department, which handles the live shows and events at Disneyland. There are crew which work during the show, but also those who work the 3rd shift doing prep and maintenance, so there are alot of people involved.

If you want to study to be a techie, look for a school that has a theatre department, or sometimes even a local theatre and get involved! Learn everything you can. For a show like Fantasmic you need to be a fairly well rounded techie as you will probably be asked to do a variety of jobs. Good luck!
    And welcome to MiceChat!

P.S. Photobucket and Flikr are good places to upload your photos
    My Inspirations:
    Thurl Ravenscroft and Paul Frees
    AND
    Robert and Richard Sherman

• Don't lets be silly! șoș

Hey there Edwin,

It's a little more complicated then it seems. Though Outlander points out some great things to work to, and look for. When applying for Tech Service, you apply for the department, and not for the show. Most of the Techs out there have been with the show for a few years. Just something to keep in mind that it's something to work to.

Once again, as Outlander points out, there are a lot of tech jobs out on the Island, and even more around the Resort!

• Project 626

Quote Originally Posted by Outlander View Post
    Hey Edwin! There are tons of positions in Fantasmic, most of which are under the Technical Services department, which handles the live shows and events at Disneyland. There are crew which work during the show, but also those who work the 3rd shift doing prep and maintenance, so there are alot of people involved.

If you want to study to be a techie, look for a school that has a theatre department, or sometimes even a local theatre and get involved! Learn everything you can. For a show like Fantasmic you need to be a fairly well rounded techie as you will probably be asked to do a variety of jobs. Good luck!
    And welcome to MiceChat!

P.S. Photobucket and Flikr are good places to upload your photos
    Thank you so much this helped me techie hey.
    Well do you know any good schools of what part of theather to go for. I understand it take a long time to get up there for a show like fantasmic or world of color. But i intend to follow for what i love to do ...

• A Weather Eye Open

Did you learn much tech in the process of getting your AS in Film? Most of the film students I know have worked on student films as key grips, gaffers, sound guys, lighting, etc. In fact, one of those guys currently drives barges for Fantasmic! shows. I would think film school would've provided sufficient training to get started in the Tech Dept at the resort if you did any of those things.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• Project 626

Quote Originally Posted by twobluestripes View Post
    Did you learn much tech in the process of getting your AS in Film? Most of the film students I know have worked on student films as key grips, gaffers, sound guys, lighting, etc. In fact, one of those guys currently drives barges for Fantasmic! shows. I would think film school would've provided sufficient training to get started in the Tech Dept at the resort if you did any of those things.
    Yes i did learn alot about the lighting and camera department at film school. I also currently work in many independent films as a key grip, gaffer, camera assistant, or below them such as electrician or grip, but do you think that would be enough to start out as tech for fantasmic or would they want more experience . ?

• A Weather Eye Open

Quote Originally Posted by edwind View Post
    Yes i did learn alot about the lighting and camera department at film school. I also currently work in many independent films as a key grip, gaffer, camera assistant, or below them such as electrician or grip, but do you think that would be enough to start out as tech for fantasmic or would they want more experience . ?
    You never know until you try, but I think that's a great amount of experience to get your foot in the door in the tech dept... you'd be going for an entry level job and getting more and more training on specifics as you went along! Please apply and let us know if you hear anything!

If it's not enough experience and you don't get the job right away, you can always look for a community college with a good theatre department that you can take tech and design classes for and work on shows, or even pursue your Bachelor's in either theatre tech or film production (I've heard that CSU Long Beach has a wonderful theatre department, as does UC Irvine)
    Last edited by StrikeYerColors; 09-06-2010 at 01:48 PM.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• Project 626

Quote Originally Posted by twobluestripes View Post
    You never know until you try, but I think that's a great amount of experience to get your foot in the door in the tech dept... you'd be going for an entry level job and getting more and more training on specifics as you went along! Please apply and let us know if you hear anything!

If it's not enough experience and you don't get the job right away, you can always look for a community college with a good theatre department that you can take tech and design classes for and work on shows, or even pursue your Bachelor's in either theatre tech or film production (I've heard that CSU Long Beach has a wonderful theatre department, as does UC Irvine)
    why thank you i was looking forward for something in that path of theater tech, and ba in both well with the increase of college loans and all would take a great amount but i think its a great path to think about now. Thank you so much for the help i appreciate the time, do you know how to check if they have any opening for theater tech ? or where to check >?

• Ravenclaw

Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

• Banned User

Question about performers...

I thought I'd just ask this instead of starting a new thread, but is it true that there are no actual auditions for Fantasmic? I was told, aside from stunt performers, that daily park actors/characters are used instead of a full on different cast.

• Don't lets be silly! șoș

Yes and no. There aren't any open call auditions for Fantasmic!; however they do hold in-house auditions. So, you need to be working in the Entertainment Department to audition for it (for the most part).

• Banned User

That's what I figured. I've always dreamed what it would be like to be in the show. I'm such a crazy fan of it.

• Project 626

How about Theater Tech. Is there any place in disneyland where that can fit? I plan to major in theater tech, i found a great school where i can start then transfer to a UC. Any one think this is a good choice. ?

Quote Originally Posted by edwind View Post
    How about Theater Tech. Is there any place in disneyland where that can fit? I plan to major in theater tech, i found a great school where i can start then transfer to a UC. Any one think this is a good choice. ?
    Hi everybody,

You can see same topic at the side bar of this site. You can find out some thing same your questions or use search box or this site.

Apart from that, you also can ref more resources at: Project job descriptions

Best rgs
    Last edited by hdblue; 12-17-2010 at 07:00 PM.