• Disney Dream 10/23!!

how the current attendance policy is affecting former cast members...

I left disney in July, voluntarily, to go to school and to get some sleep. The hours were just killing me. My sister was fired in March, before the crazy mass firings, and very quickly got another job because she had work at disneyland. Now I'm looking for another job, and I thought Disneyland would have been a good thing on my resume. However, I've had my application handed back to me and I was told that they have a policy of not hiring former Disneyland employees! If I actually get an interview, as soon as they read my resume, I get all sorts of questions about work ethics and attendance, do I show up on time, or would I be 'sick' all of the time. I've had an interviewer ask me "If I called Disneyland, what would they tell me about your work ethics? Would they have seen you there? Would they even know who you were?" I shook that man's hand, and walked out. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

• Minion

Re: how the current attendance policy is affecting former cast members...

Where did this happen to you??? I always thought having Disney on your resume would look good...

I think it is more the former attendance policy that is causing a problem for you. I don't know many hourly jobs where you could be absent a quarter or half the month and not get a warning or talking too just for being sick. It amazes me how loose the old attendance policy was and I can understaqnd their tightnening up of the system.

Now it's not fair for potential employers to make a judgement about your attendance policies based on rumors about Disneyland employees. Maybe try levaing it off your resume if it is making it difficult to get interviews.

• Gloomy Day, probably rain

My suggestion is to explain why you left D-land. I had some of the same problems with the Park when I worked there. The best you can do is put a spin on it. Make it a positive. Tell employers you left because the work schedule was interfering with your school schedule. Or you were working too many hours and wanted to cut back. You can put it in your resume even.

Reason for leaving: The Park was trying to kill me by working me 60 - 80 hours a week.

I had that same problem. I left the Park after months of 60 - 80 hour work weeks. Funny, seems this is truly an on going problem with the Park!

• Gloomy Day, probably rain

My suggestion is to explain why you left D-land. I had some of the same problems with the Park when I worked there. The best you can do is put a spin on it. Make it a positive. Tell employers you left because the work schedule was interfering with your school schedule. Or you were working too many hours and wanted to cut back. You can put it in your resume even.

Reason for leaving: The Park was trying to kill me by working me 60 - 80 hours a week.

I had that same problem. I left the Park after months of 60 - 80 hour work weeks. Funny, seems this is truly an on going problem with the Park!

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Arilvdc
    I left disney in July, voluntarily, to go to school and to get some sleep. The hours were just killing me. My sister was fired in March, before the crazy mass firings, and very quickly got another job because she had work at disneyland. Now I'm looking for another job, and I thought Disneyland would have been a good thing on my resume. However, I've had my application handed back to me and I was told that they have a policy of not hiring former Disneyland employees! If I actually get an interview, as soon as they read my resume, I get all sorts of questions about work ethics and attendance, do I show up on time, or would I be 'sick' all of the time. I've had an interviewer ask me "If I called Disneyland, what would they tell me about your work ethics? Would they have seen you there? Would they even know who you were?" I shook that man's hand, and walked out. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Being a fromer Disney cast member as well, what this sounds like to me, what you are describing, sounds the law is being broken by these companies you are applying for. First off, by law, a potential employer CANNOT, I repeat Cannot, ask your previous employer what type of employee you were and how many days your were sick, etc.. All Disney is required to give out, as far as information, is when your were hired, the amount of your salary and your term date, nothing else. You do not ever have to worry about Disney giving out additional info. Also, stating that they will not hire former Disney employees sounds a bit bigoted to me and if I were you I would look into more info from the Dept. of Labor relations to see if any wrong doing is being done here, which sounds like it to me. What kind of company is this you were applying for?? It does not sound like a very good one to me. I really think you need to say something about this , so this company does not do it to other potential prospects. Hell , I will say something to the Dept. of Labor on your behalf (kkeping you annonymous of course). I do not like to see this crap go down and I am one who does not like to stay silent when I see potential wrong doing in the making. Let me know.

Glenn

• Robot Chicken Rules!

Ok so here is a question concerning about attendance problems for former CM's. See I used to work for WDW (orlando, florida). Now i am not sure how the hiring processes are for DL, but i hear that they are very selective then WDW is.
    Anyway, I have been meaning to reapply for WDW again, but I am in need of some advice for my interview process. See here is my dilema. I worked for the company for a few years when i had leave, do to some personal crap. I left on very good terms, did not really have any kind of dark marks or consequnces against me on my profile right!
    Now here where it get's messed up I had applied to disney again and went thru traditions and all, and all i was told was to call up my mgr. and scheduling department to put me back on the schedule. Well about a week later i called them up due to finishing up my other job, and i was told i was fired cause of a week of NCNS. I was not aware of this nor did i recieve any kind of call that verfied my new schedule.
    I am betting this had put a million NO Rehire stamps on my profile, so i am curious as too whether or not that has fallen off by now cause it has been about 1 1/2 years now and i have not been back to re-apply. So i am looking for some advice here. please, thanks

• insufferable know-it-all

If you interview and they look that up, they'll ask you if there's anything on your record you should be telling them about. THAT's when you explain what happened.

Good luck!

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...