Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• CM for 4 years!

Re: Hey Disney Managment, is this what you don't want to see?

Ummm.... I was under the impression that there was a "no strike" clause in our union contract.

I know, sort of invalidates the POINT of a union, but it's there, in black ink. No strikes.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• Still wants to be a cat!

As employees and as a Union you can always strike, doesn't tell you what the outcome might be......
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• CM for 4 years!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy999
    As employees and as a Union you can always strike, doesn't tell you what the outcome might be......
    No, in the new foods contract at least (I'm not sure about the other ones), there is a no-strike clause.

Isn't that a lovely thing?

OH, but per the union, we can have alllll the free fountain beverages we'd like!
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• :)

TicToc, there are showers in the CM changing room bathroom(s)...atleast I know the main guys one upstairs has one..not sure about the girls, but ya and the tram from Katella Lot - the park is a good 5-10 minute nap

• CM for 4 years!

Yes, there are showers in the ladies' restroom in costuming.

But remember, mulisha. Sleeping on Disney property is not permissible, and could be means for termination.

SO if you're on a double back shift, you can't just crash in your backseat in K Lot. If you're seen by security doing this, you could get in major trouble!
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    You would have to be incredibly blind to compare whatever job you have to the job of a CM...

SO STOP DOING IT!
    Um, let's see... How shall I put this...

Oh yeah.

<Ahem>

NO!

A job is a job. Some are good, some are not so good. All have perks, all have drawbacks. Showing up to work when you are scheduled, however, is a universal concept. You do, you stay. You don't, you go. It's that simple. Pressler and Harris enabled hundreds of employees to develop poor habits that anywhere else would see them holding a pink slip. As I said, I support CMs when they complain about some things, but when it comes to whining that you actually have to show up when you're scheduled? All I can say is deal with it, and welcome to the real world.

• oh bugger

This thread is really interesting to me. It seems to be one of the most serious subjects I've seen on Micechat. Reading over everyones post I have a few thoughts. I haven't read all the other posts that have been linked here yet, but I will, I feel almost obligated to at this point.

At any rate it seems to me that while fundamental problems with CM treatment are causing serious problems I haven't supported a lot of what has been said. In regards to comparing a Disneyland job to another job I just don't buy it. Complain about the drive in rush hour or the 50 miles between you and Disneyland, or the time you have to be there before you even clock in to be ready for work. No offense but tough cookies, thats the way it goes. You like the job enough but hate the commute, you'll move. You don't like having to be prepared for your job before clocking in, get a different job. While I have come to appreciate what magic a good CM can provide I also feel that with any job if you don't like the conditions or live too far away, quit. Nobody is making you work at Disneyland, you are there because of what it is, you just can't get the same experience flipping burgers at McDonalds as you can flipping burgers in the park. You also might have to put in more hours and get paid less. If money is all that matters to you then you wouldn't be working at Disneyland in the first place, at least not someplace outside of TDA.

I do disagree with breaking labor laws and find that to be appalling information. Working 80 hour weeks, shfts starting on 4 hours later and so forth are just unnaceptable.

While it is clear that most CM's need a raise it is also somewhat clear that this sense of entitlement that I've sorta picked up on is bogus. Nobody is owed anything special because they work at Disneyland, you still have to show up, you can only miss so many days of work simple as that, you have to show up to work prepared to work, that means being there early to a shift, hey Disneyland isn't the only place that happens.

I wish the best of luck to those trying to air out their concerns. The only way to fix a problem is to know about it. I also appreciate the sacrifices some CM's have had to make right now during this transition time. It'll get better sooner or later (hopefully sooner than later).

• CM for 4 years!

Jurgen, do you like your job all of the time? Have you had to jump over hurdles for your job? Don't like it? WELL THEN WHY DON'T YOU GET ANOTHER JOB?

See, it's just not that easy. Finding a job is hard. Just because to you it's just another part time job doesn't mean that it is to us.

And plus, who the hell relocates for a part time job?

If I was to quit right now to try and find another job, I would be jobless again in January, after the holiday season. Nobody is hiring part time employees right now, they are only hiring seasonal ones.

Telling all the CMs, "It's your fault, so just quit if you hate it so much" is not a good solution, not a practical solution, and frankly, I think very rude.

"If money is all that matters to you then you wouldn't be working at Disneyland in the first place, at least not someplace outside of TDA."

AND EXACTLY! We ain't here for the money. We are here because we love Disneyland and want to give our guests the happiest day on Earth. My job pays for my gas, food sometimes, and maybe a little shopping every once in a while, but not much more. I do it out of love for the park, and pride for the park.

And posts like this make me feel like, "So what?" What I'm doing isn't important to you, I should just get another job.

I'm clearly not making a difference for the guests if they don't sympathize for my situation, so why bother? :/
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• Still wants to be a cat!

To no one in particular.......Remember where you started? Would things be better there? Change things if you can, if not...don't!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    You would have to be incredibly blind to compare whatever job you have to the job of a CM...
    Yes, my boss has much higher expectations than for me to simply show up when he asks me to.

Look, I've stressed endlessly that CMs need to be paid more. That they can't expect high caliber worker at minimum wage. No more than now, when veteran CMs are being stressed by the reduced ranks of the frequent tardies finding work elsewhere, could it be more useful to give a pay wage to CMs.

But the actual demands of the job, sheesh, most anyone with a smile, a working body, and a decent IQ could pull a lot of this stuff off.

• insufferable know-it-all

I see both sides here. On one hand, I agree that presenteeism in concept is a good thing. Unfortunately the necessary "housecleaning" has left the park drastically understaffed, and the remaining CMs are being worked literally into the ground.

I have serious doubts about the "scheduled 4 hours later" thing. When that happens, you let management know and they change your shift. They have to, it's in the union rules (mind you they give you EXACTLY 8 hours between shifts, so by the time you factor in needing to take the shuttles in from the lot, as well as your commute to and from home, plus hopefully a shower, you get some 6 hours sleep.

That said, there's an old phrase the folks in TDA should learn from : Pay peanuts, get monkeys. At the mere pittance of $7/hr, who can Disney hire to replace all the good CMs they're chasing out? I'm not talking about hte ones with attendance issues, I'm talking about the GOOD CMs, the ones who did it for love of the job, who're being worked to death and getting fired or quitting because they're getting sick from the exhaustion?

I had the opportunity to return to the Mouse. Really fun job, $10/hr. But I had another job offer at $15/hr. Guess who DIDN'T return to the mouse? And it wasn't just the pay - they wanted FULL TIME availability (I would have taken it TOO if they'd been flexible), but would only give seasonal status so I'd get no benefits, no seniority, and they could drop my hours to zero at the drop of a hat. Umm... sorry.

So disney gets "stuck" with the people for whom their terms are actually a good deal. In an economy where In-n-Out is paying $9/hr plus bennies to flip burgers, who's working for $7/hr and seasonal status? Two types: 1) those who've always dreamed of working for Disney and get their fill and burned out a few months later, making Disney hire and train someone else to replace them, and 2) people who couldn't get a better deal - and who couldn't get a better deal? Thus, they're chronically understaffed.

Exactly how long does it take before someone recognizes this as a crisis for DL management? THEY'RE CLEARLY NOT PAYING ENOUGH. You pay people $10/hr to take crap from guests and management, you might get some interest. Pay mere cents over state mandated minimum wage? Nada. People will take a lot of crap to work for Disney, but only if they can live on the money. In a county where 1-br apartments are running $900/mo in the 'hood, who can afford to work for Disney?

If they merely paid enough, I could stand behind them on the rest of it. Like I said, I agree with presenteeism in principle, just not when it's causing GOOD CMs to be fired because the understaffing originally resulting from firing the bad CMs led to the good CMs being worked till they're sick. If they just paid enough, the good CMs wouldn't be overworked because the park would be properly staffed. If they just paid enough, they wouldn't be shelling out all this dough in overtime wages.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy
    I do know that it is the way Walt Disney used to run things and that Pressler and Harris changed it too far to the employees favor and the current new management is only trying to return things to the way they used to be pre-Pressler.
    Of course, when presenteeism was enforced like this before, it was when CM parking was right next to the park, and before all the "improvements" were made to costume distribution. They've added all these huge delays before you can clock in and random factors such as parking shuttle schedules, then they reintroduce a no-tolerance policy on lateness from long before these problems existed. Plus, it's hard to trade shifts with other CMs when you're ALL being made to work longer shifts than you can handle.

I'm not a CM, but I do get why they're complaining.

i just want to put in my 2 cents here. for those of you that say to just trade shifts or get the day off. that's the problem everyone is working long hours and most are doing 6 days a week. on top of that they aren't giving any extra days off.

"if you don't like it then don't work there". yeah, that's what everyone is doing and thats why they can't get anyone to work there.

just fyi do a google search on "presenteeism" its pretty interesting what you find.

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

^ Fascinating. Though not exactly the way Disney defines it, it's close enough that the results described in those articles certainly apply: disasterously.

Who at the park, exactly, came up with this nutty idea??

Again, I wonder if Matt is completely aware of the details his personnel management team has caused? Can anyone answer this?

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by NewsiePhoenix
    Hey there, my name is not important but my purpose is. I'm one of many to have been terminated from Disneyland, and here to share with you all the insides of management without hesitation, because what will they do? Fire me? I know for one management reads MiceChat and MiceAge because a former Jungle Cruise Skipper by the name of Michael Rosenbaum was walked out of the park by Adventureland management before his Jungle Tradition of "Last Boat" due to evidence on MiceChat (A recording of his spiel) was not OG or rather in their script. That man was the best Skip to ever go into the Jungle and he made thousands if not millions of people laugh so hard they cried. He had a cult following and that worries management. Creativity is looked at with disdain, and any sort of idea of concern or empathy from Disney management and TDA is to be summed up non existant. Now with this strike proposal rising for attractions and things not looking good for DCA either, as well as Presenteeism (Or Dictatorship if you will) causing more and more losses to the CM Ranks, God only knows what that park will turn into if Mickey Mouse is pushing buttons and controlling your safety on Space Mountain or if a Plaid in the control tower of Big Thunder. I am going to tell the world about the disgusting insides that reside in Disney, and I will be heard.

The Phoenix
    Michael Rosenbaum? When was he hired there because that name sounds VERY familiar. I was hired December 17th 2000, and there was a Mike in my attractions & you class that became a skipper on JC and I think his last name was that. I miss that guy. We had some good times.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast