Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• Sock Puppet

Re: Hey Disney Managment, is this what you don't want to see?

Something else comes to mind. Didn't some new guy take the FINALLY vacated seat as CEO that Eisner had? Now, I'm not sure that if this will be a good thing or a bad thing, but in my honest opinion, this just happened recently within the past couple of months, and it still might take a while for the "ripples to take effect". Whether they will be positive, or negative.

Bottom line, Eisner era is over. What's to come next? Only time will tell.

The ORIGINAL phoenix, of micechat.

Why is it you only hear rants like thsi from people who were FIRED?! Could it be there was an attitude problem to begin with?
    You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.

• Sock Puppet

Maybe its because there may be some people in Management that has it in for others and see to it to get rid of them.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by melmel
    And posts like this make me feel like, "So what?" What I'm doing isn't important to you, I should just get another job.

I'm clearly not making a difference for the guests if they don't sympathize for my situation, so why bother? :/
    It is funny, because I have heard this argument on other board for other entertainment companies who have much WORSE working conditions...

Imagine a world where you have to PAY to work at Disneyland...

You see, Glendale know sthat people don't do this for the money... They count on it... And they will take advantage of it, if they could find a way...

As for a no strike clause in the contract... Yeah, right... It seems like people are striking by not showing up for work... And yet there are no replacements for this work force...

And as for if Iger is going to do something about this? I really don't think so... He really has detached himself from making any kind of decisions of this sort and passed it on to Jay... And Jay is looking after all the parks...

I don't see much being done, at least untill some contract expires somewhere.... Or at least untill no one is left to work inside the park...
    Check out my other blog:

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman
    Um, let's see... How shall I put this...

Oh yeah.

<Ahem>

NO!

A job is a job. Some are good, some are not so good. All have perks, all have drawbacks. Showing up to work when you are scheduled, however, is a universal concept. You do, you stay. You don't, you go. It's that simple. Pressler and Harris enabled hundreds of employees to develop poor habits that anywhere else would see them holding a pink slip. As I said, I support CMs when they complain about some things, but when it comes to whining that you actually have to show up when you're scheduled? All I can say is deal with it, and welcome to the real world.
    Again you and many others simply have side stepped the point on my post. Its is NOT a comparable job to others out there. I agree you know darn well you are taking a pay cut walking through those gates- but you are held to standards higher than any other company I have ever worked for. I have held every imaginable low paying job that exists within a 5 mile radius of Disneyland but what strikes me is the love these cast members have for there job...BUT its far more difficult to get to work than it is to slip into the parking lot of a Starbucks 5 minutes before your shift.

So conditions are deplorable, people are working double shifts, so tack on to that at least an hour getting back from you car and getting in costume and getting to your post and the reverse of that at night....and for what $7.50? Nobody does it JUSR because they are hard worker- they love what they do but occassionally they get burnt out or need family time and they deserve it.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    If they merely paid enough, I could stand behind them on the rest of it. Like I said, I agree with presenteeism in principle, just not when it's causing GOOD CMs to be fired because the understaffing originally resulting from firing the bad CMs led to the good CMs being worked till they're sick. If they just paid enough, the good CMs wouldn't be overworked because the park would be properly staffed. If they just paid enough, they wouldn't be shelling out all this dough in overtime wages.
    BANG!

That's the sound of you hitting it on the head.

Sadly, I wouldn't apply to DL if I was near it right now, and I'm one of those people who can be lowballed into working their dream job. I encourage people NOT to apply at DL, which I know must be hell for the CMs hoping for relief to come soon, but they'll be done a favor when the park becomes so understaffed that it can barely open, at which point they'll either have to close the gates and NOT take people's money, or share that money a bit more with the work force.

I encourage nobody around here to be suckered in by that "If you're breathing, you're hired" strategy TDA is using for new CM's. It hinges on abusing the "I've always dreamed of working for Disney" folks. Resist the temptation of working at DL in these conditions. If everyone ignores their offer today, you'll have a better park to apply at tomorrow, with higher morale and better wages.

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by CM4life

"if you don't like it then don't work there". yeah, that's what everyone is doing and thats why they can't get anyone to work there.
    If they can't get anyone to work there (which I doubt that) then it's no longer your problem if you quit. People need to do what makes them happy. I've had a few crappy low paying jobs, but I didn't complain about them. When I had enough and I knew they weren't going to change I found a different job. Yeah the last one lost one of it's top sales people, but they didn't shed tears over it. they would tell us over and over again all they had to dow as put an ad. in the paper and they would get 50 peopel to apply for 5 job openings and they were right, but some of the people were very flaky....LOL...anyway, I like me newest job so far, but I wouldn't have it if I was still at the crappy job complaining.....

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

As a former CM who worked for LESS than what any current CM's are now making- I feel your pain. However, I am hearing a lot of excuses. Yes, there is the drive, the tram, changing into costume- the Fast Track system was meant to save time that way so you don't have to change before your shift. But that is part of the job you signed on for. My husband is a restaurant manager and we live 30 miles away from his job- that means getting up earlier and making sure he has enough drive time. He also works long days and late hours. As many people have said before, every job has its good and bad points. I have worked many places, including Disneyland (and I got no benefits at all at Disneyland and crappy pay, so I know what sucky is) and know that every single job sucks in some way or another.

Lets be honest- Presenteeism as a policy is not the problem- don't use it as an excuse. If you live in California, there is traffic, you have to factor that in and no other employer would let that be an excuse. The overtime is a problem because they are short-staffed. They are short-staffed because they don't pay very well.

Am I the only one that thinks now would be an effective time to strike? Not only are they having record crowds, they are in record need of CM's. Seems like a no-brainer to me. With the internet, it would be VERY easy to get lots of support for the cause- do you think Disneyland wants to celebrate its 50th by looking like a Nazi labor camp? I say all you passionate CM's who are tired of being used get your act together and start organizing something and fast. Your window of opportunity may be closing. You complain about the union, but you should be using it to you advantage and forcing it to take action.

Just my two cents- I really feel for the position you are in- but its your lives and you have to take control. If you don't like something about your life, fix it, change it. Don't say it is hard to get an entry-level job that pays better, because it isn't- even seasonal jobs can turn into full-time positions if you are good enough at them. If you don't want to work anywhere else- then take staps to make it a better working environment. Complaining to random strangers on the internet won't change anything, you have to learn to complain to the right people. If enough of you start yelling, they can't drown you out.

/Norma Rae rant
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Bottom line, Disney doesn't pay CM's enough. When you can make $9 at In-N-Out, and only $7 at Disneyland, somethings wrong. You pay more, you get better employees. Period.

BUT..... if you CM's want to get the public on your side, you've got to quit complaining about Presenteeism. I don't care how much trouble you go through to get to work, or get to your work area, or whatever. In ANY private sector job, you're supposed to be at work and on time. Whatever it takes to do that is YOUR responsibility. People are complaining about driving 25 miles to work? Don't make me laugh. I commute 62 miles ONE WAY to work. Why? Because I choose to. Is my work area right next to the parking lot? No. I WALK 1.5 miles to get to my office. What would I give for a tram!!! Complaining about Presenteeism is BS, and the more I hear it, the more I stop wanting to support the CM's in getting better wages and benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

Ahh, the rantings of a disgruntled employee. Why, because he did not get HIS way and managemnt did not want to listen to HIM. You know going in what to expect, the wages and the policies. If you choose to still work there, then you are obligated to follow their policies. If you do not like them then find other employment. No one forces you to work for Disney. As for the fired captain, he violated the policy. Though you may not like the policy, he was aware of it, and failed to follow it. Disney sets standards so the experience is consistent and not offending to anyone. This is not some cruel trick to play on employees, but a standard which they set to make sure no employee or the company gets into any legal trouble, or offends any guest. Working in corporate America has rules, just like soceity, and you may not agree with all of them, but we must live with them.
    Last edited by Mr. Lightyear999; 11-20-2005 at 12:13 PM.

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lightyear999
    Ahh, the rantings of a disgruntled employee. Why, because he did not get HIS way and managemnt did not want to listen to HIM. You know going in what to expect, the wages and the policies. If you choose to still work there, then you are obligated to follow their policies. If you do not like them then find other employment. No one forces you to work for Disney. As for the fired captain, he violated the policy. Though you may not like the policy, he was aware of it, and failed to follow it. Disney sets standards so the experience is consistent and not offending to anyone. This is not some cruel trick to play on employees, but a standard which they set to make sure no employee or the company gets into any legal trouble, or offends any guest. Working in corporate America has rules, just like soceity, and you may not agree with all of them, but we must live with them.
    Actually you have ways of fighting poorly designed human resourse guidelines. This country was founded on the backs of the working poor and we built a vast empire of unions and laws to protect workers and now under the current political system we seem to be forgetting that.

Did you know the cost of living has risen almost 30% over the last ten years and the average salary has actually gone down? Housing prices have doubled in most areas and now for the first time in US history the United States legal system has sided with a corperation against a union in the case of United Airlines and there pension crisis.

Upper level managers, CEOs and administrators do not care for the worker anymore. Each employee is groomed to believe he or she is on there own with no ability to resist.

I wish more companies would look to the model Starbucks established, maybe Disney should examine it too. At Starbucks each employee is considered a partner eligable for profit sharing, bonuses and medical even if you are part-time and look at the impressive growth and annual return they see.

Companies used to put out suggestion boxes and take them seriously, they used to offer confidential hotlines for complaints or issues. Now we are being groomed by corperate America to work harder and get less in return.

You are partially right- these people don't necessarily taste the issues of a CM until a few days or weeks into the posistion and they have every right to quit...and apparently they have been in large numbers but you hold tight to your "You get what you deserve policy" and remember that the next time you visit the park and wait 2 hours for a meal and can't get into half the shops or vast numbers of rides, attractions and shows are no longer available.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I wish we could fire CEO's. Unfortuanately, the one's that already know they suck seclude themselves from the truth and reason. But oh well, the companies they manage are, or will, be going belly up .

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    I wish we could fire CEO's. Unfortuanately, the one's that already know they suck seclude themselves from the truth and reason. But oh well, the companies they manage are, or will, be going belly up .
    Look at the sucess of SaveDisney.com

• Banned User

Actually, A Schucks, you are the one sidestepping. We’re mostly talking about people whining about having actually to show up for their shift, not how much they’re paid, as you keep speaking to.

Look, we all know how poorly Disney pays CMs. Not just because of the job they do, but also in relation to the profits derived from their work. Disneyland is a cash cow, and its CMs should be allowed a bigger piece of that pie. There’s no argument there. What most of us here have an issue with is the complaining about Presenteeism. Disneyland or not, special magical wonderful job or not, good attendance is expected regardless of where you work. I drive 45 minutes to an hour across state lines to work every day. I have to be in the building ten to fifteen minutes before my shift starts. So ya know what? I leave home accordingly. But I choose too, just as CMs choose to work at the park. And they did choose to. So please, don’t support your complaints regarding Presenteeism with arguments regarding pay; they’re two separate issues.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    Look at the sucess of SaveDisney.com
    I applaud Roy for that. without him, things would not have been changing at Disney. Eisner had to be removed. So did Pressler & Harris. But I have to wonder, do these managers who fired the Disney CM feel the same way towards their Disney employers? I mean I bet these managers who had to fire the skipper, probably are not being treated fairly by Disney as well and are probably in the same boat as the Disneyland CM's.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast