Smile Just Got Hired, Need Advice, Please Help!

Hi all! I was just hired as a CM, my recruiter said Downtown Disney stores. I have a few questions and if anyone could help me out, that would be awesome. Thanks so much! I'll just list my questions and make it super easy to read.

1. My recruiter said Downtown Disney stores can be more than World of Disney. What other stores might I possibly be working in?

2. The recruiter said Disneyland requires full availability during peak time. Can someone clarify this for me? I am under the impression that it means they can schedule you any day, any time. But does your scheduler even ask you what days you can work, at all? Or once you are in, are you at the mercy of the scheduler?

3. I was hired as Seasonal CT, which is fine because I only want to work about 20 hours a week. About how many hours does a CT work vs. a CR? I am a little nervous because I have heard so much about scheduling dramas and such.

4. Lastly, is it there anyone that works in Downtown Disney stores who can give me some advice or tell me about what I might be doing?

Thanks for your responses and any help you can offer!

• Banned User

Re: Just Got Hired, Need Advice, Please Help!

Quote Originally Posted by MissMouse View Post
    2. The recruiter said Disneyland requires full availability during peak time. Can someone clarify this for me? I am under the impression that it means they can schedule you any day, any time. But does your scheduler even ask you what days you can work, at all? Or once you are in, are you at the mercy of the scheduler?
    Peak time to Disneyland is all summer, from Memorial Day to Labor Day. So, in other words, they want you to be available to work any shift, all summer long. Not that you necessarily will, or that you'll work more than 20 hours as you want, but basically, you've agreed that the scheduling needs of the business outweigh your own personal scheduling needs or desires, and you're willing to rearrange your own schedule as the business calls for it, if they call for it.

In other words, it's like this - let's say your normal schedule is 4 hours a day, Thursday through Sunday. Maybe one week, they'll need you to work 4 extra hours on Saturday, but take the following Thursday off. Or maybe they'll need you to work an extra hour all 4 days. Or they don't need you Thursday, but they do need you for two extra hours Saturday & Sunday. Or they need you to open two days (work in the morning), close the other two days (work at night). Or they also need you on Tuesday one week, with only a day or two notice. Things like this, you've agreed to be flexible on.

The schedulers will work with you on things like certain days you absolutely MUST have off (like you've got some scheduled appointment for some school-related thing that can't be changed), but for the most part, yeah, you're at the mercy of the scheduler, or rather, the needs of the business.

Hi! Thanks so much for the info you provided! Sounds good! I am looking forward to this new job!

• Fastest Man Alive

World of Disney. Marcelines. Downtown Disney Pin Traders. Studio 365 and Vault 28 all part of the Downtown Disney complex. So it's pretty big selection of stuff to do.
    "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter