Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking Chances of getting hired

I figure we can post a thread on your chances of getting hired.
    Now I know it is all different for people, but i am basing it on how past CM's have gotten hired, the time of year, and qualifications.
    After people apply, they can come to this thread and post up there basic information to kind of see what type of people are applying and who are actually getting in.

So for me are my chances good?

I just applied with a referral from a friend for food a beverage part time (1/27/2012
    I am 19 and just graduated a Vocational nurse program and plan to bridge an RN program slowly but surely
    I have full availability (24/7)
    CPR certified
    100 hours of volunteer work
    and 900 hours of clinical work
    no real work experience with a cashier register, but i can save a life hahah

So please reply back with your thoughts (can be good or bad) because i am pretty sure everyone would want to know where they stand

Re: Chances of getting hired

What other type of work experience do you have? You can use any volunteer work in highschool or whatever as work experience. I don't think it really matters if you have register experience as long as you know how to deal with guests safely, efficiently, and with a smile. Just know how to be confident in your "what would you do if..." questions during your interview. I can't really tell you about your chances since I'm not in HR, you just kinda have to go through the process...but I think since you have 24/7 availability you'll be looked at above those who have schedule restrictions.

What I can tell you though is my experience and a little bit bout myself. I'm currently 21, I've had a little over 2.5 yrs of customer service retail/community managing, my most recent work experience was a desk job... clerical and customer service. On my application I listed that I did not have any experience in cashiering within the past 6 months...it had been over 2 yrs since I touched a register--I was worried about that since I was applying for the retail position, but I still scored an interview anyway. Basically, I was interviewed on December 6th, waitlisted, got an email asking for my interest in the waitlist on January 15th, got an email asking me to call a number regarding the waitlist on the 19th so I called the number and left a message, and then got a call back on January 20th in the morning offering me the position. My wait time was about a month and a half.

Hope that helps.

This helps a lot actually.
    how long does it usually take to hear from them?

Quote Originally Posted by Flik View Post
    This helps a lot actually.
    how long does it usually take to hear from them?

I applied on December 1st at around 10:30pm, got a "thank you for applying" email at 11:30, was offered the web-based interview on December 2nd at 12:30 am. It was really late so I just waited until the next morning to do that. Its just a personality test and its really easy and obvious, just don't be too honest or they'll know you're just lying. Took the web-based interview at around 9 am, received a response offering me an in person interview at 9:40 am. Scheduled the interview for December 6th and you know the rest lol.

I remember every detail cause I really wanted the job haha. My bf said I was a little too obsessed so you can imagine how being wait listed was killing me lol.

Anyway, YMMV depending on the applicants, qualifications, if they're hiring or whatever. Just giving you my personal experience.

• Minion

I know things have changed a lot since I was hired into the park, but looking at your qualifications, I think being fully available is probably the biggest perk. Having all those other things on your resume are great to be sure, but you'll be interviewing alongside people who have little or no experience who will be hired anyway, just as I was at 18. And I was hired straight into attractions.
    As difficult as it was to get a job at Disneyland back in 1983 when I hired in, I believe it was my availability, reliable transportation, flexibility, and smile/demeanor/attitude that probably got me in considering I had little experience at that point in my life.
    That was a LONG time ago though, and they very well might look for different things now so I'm sure my post is of no help, but just my own reflection on it.

Lets see I interviewed to work at the travel company in September. Had my interview with the lady at TDA who has a unique name( im sure someone will remember) and the next day I had an interview with the lady who is my boss now.

My background: Im a cook since I was 15, in the one place i was at for 15 years it was an open kitchen BEFORE open kitchens were the IN thing. I talked to guests all day long while I worked, I loved it. So thats my experience and I was very straight with them. They asked if i wanted to work in Foods and i said " NO THANK YOU, I do understand if that's all you have, but i would have to decline that." She thanked me for my honesty. Left the room while I read over a piece of paper about how much id have to stand,sit,stoop or bend at the position I was hoping to hire for. She cam back and said can you come back tomorrow, OF COURSE.

I interviewed my soon to be new boss and from the 4 other ladies that were with me im the only one who made ir though. I was supposed to start in Oct, but I think because I wasnt able to call in till 2 days after they called me(hospital) I missed out on that class. I started on November 7, and theres already a new class behind us so I have some seniority now

I have NO experience doing what im doing now(basically selling) but they gave me a chance because I could and DID talk a lot about Disney shows and attractions as well as my love for the parks. And i was honest and sincere , and to this day when they are listening to my calls, they always say i sound like i love my job and that I love talking to our guests, and I DO.
    (sometimes Im TO HONEST so i dont suggest that, but its one trait i value about myself )

Quote Originally Posted by PandaNomz View Post
    I applied on December 1st at around 10:30pm, got a "thank you for applying" email at 11:30, was offered the web-based interview on December 2nd at 12:30 am. It was really late so I just waited until the next morning to do that. Its just a personality test and its really easy and obvious, just don't be too honest or they'll know you're just lying. Took the web-based interview at around 9 am, received a response offering me an in person interview at 9:40 am. Scheduled the interview for December 6th and you know the rest lol.

I remember every detail cause I really wanted the job haha. My bf said I was a little too obsessed so you can imagine how being wait listed was killing me lol.

Anyway, YMMV depending on the applicants, qualifications, if they're hiring or whatever. Just giving you my personal experience.
    Wow I am the same as you I am obsessed. But you seem to have gotten in quick I mean a personality test the next day ugh and to think I have waited 2 days hahah. I really want this job would it be too much to follow up later this week?

would it be too much to follow up later this week?
    Where are you in the process? I would say wait it out. When you call casting they're just going to tell you to check your status online or will contact you if anything changes. Its all just a waiting game. If you get really antsy though, you could call anyway if you want... but I'd wait a month without any contact before you do. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by PandaNomz View Post
    Where are you in the process?
    Well I applied on the 27th and got the thank you email that night and thats it. It just really kills me sometimes whenever i hear people get hired in less than a week you know.

• DLR Cast Member

I just applied with a referral...
    CM's referred by other CM's tend to be more reliable and higher quality across the board. A referral ups your chances of getting an interview significantly.
    ...am 19 and just graduated...
    That raises your chances a bit. Having completed an educational program shows you're a person who follows through. A very desirable trait.
    I have full availability (24/7)
    That's significant enough to up your chances.

All in all, your chances of getting an interview are very likely. The rest comes down to your personality and professionalism during the interview. My advice to you is to take whatever they offer you, even if it's something you don't like (you'll be able to transfer after 4-6 months of continuous service). Also, if asked about availability, tell them you are fully available 24x7 (you already noted that this is true). This makes you a very likely candidate for hire.

See you in the parks

Rivers Thank you for all of your input it truly helps a lot and boost my morale haha
    so would you recommend me play the waiting game and just wait for them to contact me and stuff.
    My friend (the CM that gave me a referral) was just like I got interviewed the next day and then hired the next
    which just kills me as I see it in other threads ughhh I know it only has been less than a week but when will it be to
    much to the point that it is just better luck next time hahah

• DLR Cast Member

It never hurts to call Casting and ask for a status update. Aside from that, I'd give it time. It seems they hire in spurts. You might get a call in a couple of weeks, or it might be 2 months. It truly depends on demand for new CM's from the individual lines of business. And that, unfortunately, changes as often as the wind changes direction.

Don't give up hope if they don't call you right away. My cousin's friend waited 6 months to get offered the job for attractions. She applied in November 2010 and didn't get hired until April 2011. Nevertheless, she still got hired.

My bf was one of the lucky ones. Applied, got offered the interview the next day, and got hired on the spot this past November. Whole process took him basically a day.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck [= keep us updated.

Thank you everyone for the support I remembered when I finished the application it said something about being in contact within 5 business days aside from the thank you email. So I'll probably wait till fridayish until I follow up

Is that 5 business day notice something everyone gets or no
    Last edited by Flik; 01-31-2012 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    It never hurts to call Casting and ask for a status update. Aside from that, I'd give it time. It seems they hire in spurts. You might get a call in a couple of weeks, or it might be 2 months. It truly depends on demand for new CM's from the individual lines of business. And that, unfortunately, changes as often as the wind changes direction.
    I agree with that hiring in spurts comment. I was talking with someone in my on-boarding appointment and he told me it was just him and one guy on his on-boarding, with only about 10 in his traditions when he was first hired into the DLR, our on-boarding had about 14 people, and we saw a traditions class of about 30-40 people walk out on the 27th.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast