Position interview is listed for, not one of the 3 I requested?

When I went to look into scheduling my interview, it shows it is for Food & Beverage, which isn't even one of the 3 I selected to apply for.
    I've read they usually ask you what you're interested in at the interview and kind of assign it then, so should I not be worried about this? Or is Food & Beverage what I am definitely applying for and going to get if hired.
    I have no experience in it and it was one of my least interested positions.

• Embrace the kitsch!

Re: Position interview is listed for, not one of the 3 I requested?

Just because they ask for your preferences doesn't mean they'll grant it. As has been explained in other threads, when you apply at DL, you buy a pig in a poke. They will place you wherever they need the bodies, which is usually in Foods or Custodial.

I'll be honest w/ you. Between this and your other thread, it sounds like working at DL may not be right for you. You don't want to live w/ roommates and you don't want to work in Foods. The simple reality is that unless you have family that you can stay w/, you will have to have roommates in order to afford to live in the area. Also, you will have to stay in Foods for six months before you can even put in a request to be transferred.

There's an old saying: hope for the best, but assume the worst. Would you be happy living in a small apartment w/ two other people and flipping burgers for six months, as long as it meant you could work at DL?
    Last edited by Broadway Guru; 03-25-2012 at 11:47 PM.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    Just because they ask for your preferences doesn't mean they'll grant it. As has been explained in other threads, when you apply at DL, you buy a pig in a poke. They will place you wherever they need the bodies, which is usually in Foods or Custodial.

I'll be honest w/ you. Between this and your other thread, it sounds like working at DL may not be right for you. You don't want to live w/ roommates and you don't want to work in Foods. The simple reality is that unless you have family that you can stay w/, you will have to have roommates in order to afford to live in the area. Also, you will have to stay in Foods for six months before you can even put in a request to be transferred.

There's an old saying: hope for the best, but assume the worst. Would you be happy living in a small apartment w/ two other people and flipping burgers for six months, as long as it meant you could work at DL?
    My problem with it is I wrote in my application that I have tons of retail and photo experience and none at all having to do with food. Yet that's where they would put me? Could they really not have any positions available in the other requested areas just before Cars Land opens?
    One of my main focus is hours, and I didn't think Food would get as many hours as the retail/attractions.

To answer your question, yes, but I'd prefer something I know I'd be better at such as retail/attractions.

What I'm trying to find out is if it is definitely what the interview is for or if they are still going to ask what my preferences and experience is and maybe offer something else. Since I know it's basically take what you get or you're finished.

• Embrace the kitsch!

One of my main focus is hours, and I didn't think Food would get as many hours as the retail/attractions.
    Actually, I think Foods gets more hours due to the high turnover and low "status" of that LOB. If you told them you're interested in lots of hours, that may be why they want you in Foods.

I think your best bet is to call them and ask. That way, it's straight from the horse's mouth.
    Last edited by Broadway Guru; 03-26-2012 at 12:56 PM.
    Charter Member

What's LOB?
    I thought it might be that they saw they might have to pay me more to do retail because I have experience, so they decided to put me somewhere they can justify minimum wage.

I've heard Food is quicker in terms of moving up to full time and stuff. But part of what I was looking forward to was the behind the scenes of the rides type thing.

But food places close before the park does except for a few of them, so it seems like less hours and opportunity to stay extra to me?

I didn't want to call and put a negative perspective on my application before the interview. I thought I would just make it clear during what I am after...

• Embrace the kitsch!

Quote Originally Posted by BBlue2005 View Post
    What's LOB?
    Line Of Business. These are the different "departments" of DL: Stores, Entertainment, Parades, Attractions, etc.

I thought it might be that they saw they might have to pay me more to do retail because I have experience, so they decided to put me somewhere they can justify minimum wage.
    Not at all. DL is strictly a union shop and wages are set according to existing union contracts. I don't know the reason they want you in Foods, but I know it's not that.

I've heard Food is quicker in terms of moving up to full time and stuff. But part of what I was looking forward to was the behind the scenes of the rides type thing.
    So does everyone else who applies. There's a reason why there are always positions in Foods and seldom in Attractions.

You have two ways you can go here: either be up front w/ them about not wanting Foods and risk not getting hired or take whatever you can get and try to move after your first six months.
    Charter Member

FYI, all the foods people I've talked to have been getting 8 hr days/5 hr weeks even in off seasons. Some work as much as 12 hr days. I'm in retail and I've gotten scheduled for 14 hrs /week at the most (I picked up as much as 22 hrs) and next week (peak season mind you) I'm only getting 22 hours. If you're looking for hours....retail and attractions definitely isnt the way to go. Foods is.

For now, I'll play it by ear.
    I'll mention foods is not my first pick, but hours takes priority.
    If they still believe foods is the way to go, then that's what it'll be.

I would have expected around Easter that there'd be more than 22 hours...
    Or have they hired so many new people it's spread out.

My problem with it is I wrote in my application that I have tons of retail and photo experience and none at all having to do with food. Yet that's where they would put me? Could they really not have any positions available in the other requested areas just before Cars Land opens?One of my main focus is hours, and I didn't think Food would get as many hours as the retail/attractions.To answer your question, yes, but I'd prefer something I know I'd be better at such as retail/attractions.What I'm trying to find out is if it is definitely what the interview is for or if they are still going to ask what my preferences and experience is and maybe offer something else. Since I know it's basically take what you get or you're finished.
    Well like everybody has said, they will put you where they need you. They filled up Retail and Attractions last month, and I know personally Photopass isn't looking for any more CMs, we filled up at the end of January. If you want to work for Disney then you will happily be in F&B for four to six months and then apply to be transfered. :]

• I am number 4 of 999

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    You have two ways you can go here: either be up front w/ them about not wanting Foods and risk not getting hired or take whatever you can get and try to move after your first six months.
    I just wanted to make sure this point was made clear because it's good life advice in general.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

I applied

1. Custodial
    2. Attractions
    3. Quick Service

I ended up getting Attractions yesterday! In this economy. A job is a job. If Quick Service foods were offered to me and I didn't put that down. I would take it with open arms. That goes along with any position.

• Kungaloosh!

I was in a similar boat when I applied way back when. Didn't list foods, but was offered a position in foods because it was all they had available. I accepted, a little bit disappointed, but absolutely loved it. I made a bunch of friends (and memories!) and worked in Foods for a year.

And yeah, as others have mentioned, Foods gets crazy hours. It got a bit crazy for me (I was still in high school at the time...). Which is probably why Foods tends to have a pretty high turnover rate...

Quote Originally Posted by Kritter View Post
    I applied

1. Custodial
    2. Attractions
    3. Quick Service

I ended up getting Attractions yesterday! In this economy. A job is a job. If Quick Service foods were offered to me and I didn't put that down. I would take it with open arms. That goes along with any position.
    sounds good

• Fastest Man Alive

My problem with it is I wrote in my application that I have tons of retail and photo experience and none at all having to do with food. Yet that's where they would put me? Could they really not have any positions available in the other requested areas just before Cars Land opens?

To answer your question, yes, but I'd prefer something I know I'd be better at such as retail/attractions.

What I'm trying to find out is if it is definitely what the interview is for or if they are still going to ask what my preferences and experience is and maybe offer something else. Since I know it's basically take what you get or you're finished.
    You can always let them know at the interview level, and sometimes they can set you up to a different department if you ask for it. I work at Disneyland, but that was only after turning down 2 seperate departments and moving onto something that satisfied my needs.

As for purely supporting oneself? Foods is superior to retail/attractions. It pays slightly more, and more hours are available, plus full-time conversion opportunities happen at earlier levels.
    "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter