Thread: Bad CM Rant

• Minion

Bad CM Rant

Dear Mice Chat Community:

Very rarely will you see me rant like I am about too. Anyways, today (1/3/2005) I must say I had the worst work day in my short 10 days as a CM at Disneyland. As I am an attractions host, I was assigned to work the Guest Control shift on main street. Never in my entire 10 days working at the park have I been around so many CM's, that just didn't want to be there.

To say the least the majority of the CM's (not all) were very unfriendly and it was evident that they did not want to be there. Onstage their less than enthused attitudes was even more evident, as they would effortlessly wave their Guest Control flashlight to no avail. In my opinion the CM's were quite rude and very unhelpful to the guests walking down Main Street. Anyways thats my little rant.

-MSEPForever

• CM for 4 years!

Re: Bad CM Rant

Welcome to the beautiful jaded reality of being a cast member at Disneyland.

Stay positive. It isn't about everyone else being *******s (both CMs and guests), it's about you making the most of your employment at the Happiest Place to Work.

I've been there eight months, and I have good days and bad days. But overall, I get to say "I work at Disneyland, I have great friends among my fellow cast members, and I couldn't be happier!"

If you don't like your job, do something about it. Talk to a lead if you feel uncomfortable. Go to scheduling or manager, and ask them not to schedule you as guest control on Main Street anymore. If this means a cross-department transfer, then so be it, you want to be HAPPY at your job.

There's so many options available to you. Don't let one bad day ruin everything that you could really love about working at the Disneyland Resort.

You are working my dream job in my dream land-- I've ALWAYS wanted to be an Adventureland attractions hostess. From Tiki to Jungle Cruise to Indy, three of my fave attractions are nestled in that land. You've got a chance to have a great time, don't let others spoil it for you.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• Minion

Thanks melmel...in general I have met a bunch of GREAT CM's (including DramaQueens sister, whom has been more than helpful and friendly). For the most part I enjoy doing Guest Control, it was only last night, which I hope was a rare instance, where I got stuck with less than enthused CM's.

I very much still enjoy my job, and most of the people that I have met in my 10 days at Disneyland HAVE been awesome and very nice. In a sense, last night was just shocking to me that soooo many of the CM's did not want to be there, and in a sense deystroying the Disney Magic.

-MSEPForever

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

It takes a really tough person to do a lot of Guest Control.

I used to work in Riverfront Restaurants and every summer I put FANTASMIC! Guest Control as my #1 pick. So Monday through Friday, I'd be toiling away at FANTASMIC! when I knew my scheduling department was pissed at me because they'd rather have me take one of the opening shifts at one of my many trained locations or whatnot.

I loved it. Even after getting spit on, slapped, shoved, pushed, threatened... you name it, it's probably happened to me. Still, it doesn't even cast a shadow on the entertainment I provided with trivia, Guest interaction, playing with kids, carrying trays full of food to the Golden Horseshoe (which we used as an overflow dining area), etc. etc.

I miss it sometimes, but I know it's not the same now. We just had a really great AF Foods crew.
    Burnt Toast
    The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

• Cast Member

I have to agree with MelMel... Keep a positive attitude. Believe it or not it rubs off on others. You may also find people listen to you better.

• Sock Puppet

It is very sad to see those types of cast members like that these days. It was never like that during my tenure at the park. Just the other day I was shopping with my fiancee at the emporium and the guy helping her was so rude. She is not the type to worry about it, but I am, especially being a former cast member. I made sure I tolde to him to have a nice day very sarcastically and then he was friendly. I should have taken his name and reported him to City hall. Anyway, all I can say to you is stay the course and show the best guest service you possibly can, I am sure Walt will be looking down at you and smiling for your positive efforts. Always remember his dream and the purpose of creating and spreading the happiness his park was intended for. I am sure you will do just fine.

Glenn
    Riverbelle Terrace/Stagedoor Cafe/French Market/Cafe Orleans/Blue Bayou/NOMK/Plaza Inn

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

And don't think you are alone. Pretty much any job that you'll have--you'll have the old grumpies and the fanatics. But you can't control them only yourself. Do what you think is right and that will help you more than you know.

And ignore the ones who are the sourpusses. They'll just bring ya down.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Title: [scanning.....]

MSEP,

Keep that positive attitude. I know a lot of the CM's on the MS route and for the most part they usually have a positive and determined attitude there. I must defend some of them by saying that Tues. was kind of a bad night in general for you. The parade and fireworks were so bunched together that there was no time for a break or anything and everyone was forced to take it after everything was over.

And you're 100% on DQ's sister lol!

A CM upset to be at work? That's un heard of!!! I would be thrilled to come to work at Disney if I was asked to park a mile away, uphold to insanely strict attendance policies attempting to change the work ethic of America's youth, be rushed by thousands of angery guests, and and be paid 10 bucks an hour. Boggles my mind...

• All you need is LOVE

Hugs to all cast members

•   
    • Disney Dream 10/23!!

Quote Originally Posted by crazydiamond
    A CM upset to be at work? That's un heard of!!! I would be thrilled to come to work at Disney if I was asked to park a mile away, uphold to insanely strict attendance policies attempting to change the work ethic of America's youth, be rushed by thousands of angery guests, and and be paid 10 bucks an hour. Boggles my mind...
    try 8 dollars an hour...