Yay, finally made it in.

I've finally been contacted by Disneyland in regards to my "waitlist" status for custodial and greeter and have attended the first meeting which was for finalizing my paperwork. I start traditions in a few weeks. I'm so excited. I was assigned a CR custodial position which is fantastic because my understanding is that I'll be able to interact with the guests and help create that magical impression that we as guests in the past have been able to experience. What does CR mean though exactly? I'm so excited. I can't wait to begin my traditions class.

• Fastest Man Alive

Re: Yay, finally made it in.

Welcome to the park. Custodial is a much better job than folks give it credit for. It is a huge opportunity to be basically a wandering park greeter, and more so than most positions you large amounts of freedom of movement and be deployed to vast array of locations.

"CR" stands for 'Casual Regular'. Basically it means you aren't full-time and aren't a seasonal employee. You don't have any guaranteed hours or vacation etc. It's what pretty much everyone starts off as.

Enjoy.
    "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

Thank you for the insider scoop on the position and the CR definition. I'm just so excited to be a part of the Disney magic. My boss from my other job is being pretty awesome with it and giving me some flexibility for a few weeks with the transition into Disney, but after that I'm probably expected to get a more stable schedule of hours. According to my co worker who happens to work for Disneyland, the afternoon into night shifts are undesirable by many and supposedly my best bet on getting. She said that I should be able to find trades that way I can trade whatever I'm scheduled for a late afternoon into evening shift. Would I be likely to get roughly 20 hours on average each week with Disneyland as a CR custodial cast member? I'm thinking that part time at Disney would be somewhere in that ball park figure. Are there many cast members who juggle two jobs?

• ooooooOO!

Congratulations on the job! I'm sure you'll do fantastic there! The custodial CMs I've met really do create magic, some of the nicest people in the parks! I personally wouldn't mind doing custodial for my DCP

I don't know of any CM who juggles two jobs, but I'm positive there around since there's cast members who juggle full-time college and work at Disney.
    .:: ::.

Congrats on the hiring! Being a sweeper at Disneyland is on the bucketlist for myself.

If you want to hear some interesting history of the Disneyland custodians check out a podcast named The Sweep Spot on itunes or at their website.

Lynn and Laura are former CMs that talk about what it was like being custodians at Disneyland as well as a ton of park's history. (I'm sure you could also learn some of the tricks of the trade from them as well...how to work in the rain and stay dry comes to mind.)

Again, congratulations on the position and I hope your career is long and fruitful.

• World Famous Gold Mickey

How cool - you are the kind of Cast Member that Disneyland needs - you will be part of what makes Disney so special "magic" - its already inside you! Please if you ever see us in the park say hi - you can't miss Gold Mickey.

Gold Mickey says:
    Thank you in advance for helping keep my park clean!
    Will some one please make me a custodial outfit - because I really love the Disney Cusodials..........

• Disneyland is your land.

Congrats. I worked at the park in 2005 in food service and then again in 2007 as a retail host on Main Street. In custodial you will have plenty of opportunities to create "magic" on the spot. Be sure to carry around an autograph book and ask any girl dressed as a princess for her autograph! If the situation is convenient that is.

My favorite position was working the Disney Pin cart, especially since you got to wear a lanyard and trade with any guest that approached you. Even had access to newly released pins and I'd always sport the best pins I could find in the bin. I still smile remembering some of the kids (and even adults) that would come up, see a pin on my lanyard, and be THRILLED that I couldn't say no to a trade.

I worked for them during the busy seasons as a CR, and after a few weeks I'd get between 30 to 35 hours per week, sometimes overtime.

Another thing that you may or may not be aware of. There is a lot of drama backstage, especially among some of the younger cast members. I don't know your age, but it's generally best to steer clear of the most dramatic cliques. A lot of people liken working at the park to high school. Sometimes it can get downright dramatic! Of course you get that everywhere, but its compounded immensely by the amount of people that are employed there.

Best of luck to you, and enjoy your time there. It goes by faster than you think.
    Class of 2005...

Custodial does look like a pretty cool job. You work solo, wander at your leisure and sweep what little trash there is at "the cleanest place on earth". In many ways, the custodial Cast Members look like they are their own supervisor. Can't beat that.

Thank you so much everyone for your kind words and insight. I truly feel fortunate. My current job was kind enough to allow some flexibility for a few weeks with the transition. Hopefully I'll be able to get the supposed less desired later shifts that range from late afternoon into the evening.

•   

hey! I was wait listed Feb 21st for greeter/custodial..how long did you have to wait?!

and CONGRATS!!

My sense of time is horrible, but I would guestimate about 3 months.

•   

lol! no worries!
    thank you for your guestimate;its appreciated!