new cast member questions

hey cm's (and formers),

i'm going to wdw for the college program this summer and am wicked excited, but nervous after reading some of the things ive read on here. ive worked at a theme park for the last three summers and they can be strict about stuff, but should i be scared of the bosses at disney? are they really strict about how you look at traditions and stuff? and if so, whats the deal with the shoes? how am i supposed to know what work shoes to buy if i dont know where ill be, and how am i supposed to find solid sneakers? or do u even wear sneakers in operations? this is definitely one of the biggest questions rotting away my brain now. and also, whats the social scene with other employees like? is there a huge diff between people that work different areas, or regular cm's and cpers?

anyways, thanks for letting me intrude on ur cm space, but i figured its okay since ill be one in 2 weeks.

• Dont make me unfriend you

Re: new cast member questions

Welcome to MiceChat!

I worked DL and left there 10 years ago, so I might be out of date (and old too).

Traditions wasn't too strict. Come in good "business dress" (suit for a guy..I have no idea how to describe it for a female other then, to say the guys will - should - be wearing a suit and tie) Go for "clean cut look" in make-up/hair style.

Shoes - most departments in DL (back then) had similar requirements for black shoes. Shoes that can be polished. Shoes have to have closed toe, Something you can do a lot of standing and walking in. You also would want a sole that says it's "no slip" or something like that, some backstage areas and kitchens can be wet and sleippery at times.

I wasn't allowed to sneakers, but I found some "Die hard" shoes at sears that worked out great for me.

I found that as far as employees, most of the day crew was pretty friendly. (I worked midnight to 8 am) the night CM's are a little different animal then the day time CM's. (Sorry Kelly..it's true) Disney mostly hired "friendly - outgoing" types to work there, so most CM's are like that. However, I also found that each department stayed pretty much to themselves. When I would go into a break room while guests were in the park, at one table would be a few ride operators, at another table where a couple of security guards, another table had the food's people, janitors were at another table. I ways found it kind of funny. So most CM's stay "with their own kind" and their own kind being the department they work with.

Long ago, DL had a college program, and I think those CM's changed departments every 6 weeks or so. That why they were able to learn more or something. If that is still the case, you might be able to meet more CM's from different departments. Everybody was pretty nice, but with sooo many CM's it's hard to be buds with everybody and meet people outside of your department.

But again, I was on the night crew, so I don't know if it's different then the day crews, but what I saw, each group pretty much stayed to themselves durning breaks and lunches.

Again, welcome to the forums.

• love my friends

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett240
    Welcome to MiceChat!

I worked DL and left there 10 years ago, so I might be out of date (and old too).

Traditions wasn't too strict. Come in good "business dress" (suit for a guy..I have no idea how to describe it for a female other then, to say the guys will - should - be wearing a suit and tie) Go for "clean cut look" in make-up/hair style.

Shoes - most departments in DL (back then) had similar requirements for black shoes. Shoes that can be polished. Shoes have to have closed toe, Something you can do a lot of standing and walking in. You also would want a sole that says it's "no slip" or something like that, some backstage areas and kitchens can be wet and sleippery at times.

I wasn't allowed to sneakers, but I found some "Die hard" shoes at sears that worked out great for me.

I found that as far as employees, most of the day crew was pretty friendly. (I worked midnight to 8 am) the night CM's are a little different animal then the day time CM's. (Sorry Kelly..it's true) Disney mostly hired "friendly - outgoing" types to work there, so most CM's are like that. However, I also found that each department stayed pretty much to themselves. When I would go into a break room while guests were in the park, at one table would be a few ride operators, at another table where a couple of security guards, another table had the food's people, janitors were at another table. I ways found it kind of funny. So most CM's stay "with their own kind" and their own kind being the department they work with.

Long ago, DL had a college program, and I think those CM's changed departments every 6 weeks or so. That why they were able to learn more or something. If that is still the case, you might be able to meet more CM's from different departments. Everybody was pretty nice, but with sooo many CM's it's hard to be buds with everybody and meet people outside of your department.

But again, I was on the night crew, so I don't know if it's different then the day crews, but what I saw, each group pretty much stayed to themselves durning breaks and lunches.

Again, welcome to the forums.
    I didnt know you were on 3rd shift.. it is pretty much the same NOW as it was back then..

Like was stated.. most departments require BLACK shoes... and make sure they are comfortable..

most people are pretty freiendly though I find.. you get a few in each department that arent, but you do in every job right..

all in all.. everyone is friendly

Friends for life

• Sock Puppet

I, too, am a former cast member from Disneyland, so I don't know what I am going to tell you will apply with WDW. I am going to assume they do. As far as traditions goes, guys are no longer required to work suit and tie. It is now business casual for everyone. Men, slacks and button down shirts. Women, skirts or slacks and a nice blouse and comfortable shoes. In orientation the leaders will tell you exactly what type of shoes you will be required to wear at your specific job location. I have seen a lot of cast members at DL wearing black tennis shoes and I don't know if this is now an adopted policy with management or some cast members just get away with it. Again , if you are not sure, just ask questions and ask as many as you want. Don't be afrain of mgmt, sure they will probably be your idiotic managers with that power trip (I have worked under them), but for the most part, they are very good people and outgoing and supportive of their crews. Remember, just apply yourself on a daily basis and do the possibly best you can do and you will get along just fine.

Applying myself Monday. Got a casting card from my boss @ church and wearing collard shirt and have black sneakers, im gonna have to get non slip shoes when they hire me on. Fun stuff!
    Current DL Entertainment Technical Services

Former DCA Attractions CM

thanks guys :-D

4 days!!!!!