• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Thinking about applying...

...the issue is, I live 55 miles away from Disneyland (CA), which is about an hour of a drive.

Gas prices being what they are, I'm rather tentative about filling out an application. I mean the starting rate is technically pretty good (I'm 19 years old), but gas prices are ridiculous.

However, it's always been my dream to work at Disneyland, and hearing their desparation for hires, I'm half half contemplating all of this.

Does Disneyland have some sort of special commuting system perhaps?

• All you need is LOVE

Re: Thinking about applying...

Maybe call disney and ask the job line .

• CM for 4 years!

They have vanpools. I commute 25 miles/day each way. That's 50 total. So I feel you. But you'd have to call the casting center, I guess.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict
    ...the issue is, I live 55 miles away from Disneyland (CA), which is about an hour of a drive.

Gas prices being what they are, I'm rather tentative about filling out an application. I mean the starting rate is technically pretty good (I'm 19 years old), but gas prices are ridiculous.

However, it's always been my dream to work at Disneyland, and hearing their desparation for hires, I'm half half contemplating all of this.

Does Disneyland have some sort of special commuting system perhaps?
    How about room mates? this way you can live on your own and work for disney??

oh and let us know when you are hired, so we can begin the harassement procedure

go for it, and have a ball I would love to see you there!!!!!!!!

• Oh my Goodness!

When are you thinking about applying and moving down to that area? I am in the same boat more or less but I can't even think about starting the process til next summer (my current job doesn't release me till next summer) Anyway, what I am getting at is if this isn't a tomorrow deal I'm also looking for a roomate for an Anahiem area apartment. Just an idea.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Hah, I would move, but my parents have blackmailed me to live with them lol.

If it doesn't work out now, I just might do it once I've finished college or something.

I sent an email...I'll let you all know what happens.

melmel, this vanpool thing...is it managed by DLR itself or the CMs? And do you have to live a certain distance away to be eligible?

Thanks for all the help you guys, I really do appreciate it.

• insufferable know-it-all

pineapple: back when I lived in Northridge (exactly 55 miles from my front door to the DL parking lot), I couldn't get Disney to hire me. I always thought it had something to do with distance. However, they're a lot.. A LOT.. less picky now than they used to be, so my guess is it'll not be a problem. They didn't have a problem when I was at USC, which isn't exactly close.

I mean, they're desperate. If you can afford the gas and fog a mirror, you've got a good chance.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

I'm tempted to apply, as well. I live considerably closer (17 miles), but I'm more torn about working where I play. I love DL, but I'm worried that I'm going to become a bit jaded after I go behind the scenes and deal with work stuff at the Happiest Place on Earth. I've heard mixed opinions, one being that it's more fun because when you go, you can visit your CM friends while they're working. I've gotten advice to just go, apply, get a job, and if I don't like it to just quit, but I hate giving up on things like that.

I loved working there. It was fun meeting new people outside of work and when the topic of "where do you work?" came up, I was a hit. People thought it was pretty cool that I worked at DL. I had a lot of "war stories" to tell people about working at DL.

I'm not in Cal any more, is DL still considered a "cool place to work"? Or has the negative rep/ news made it out to non Disney geeks?

When I worked there and was able to sign guests in to the park, I took a few dates (not at the sametime) to DL. So, that was a nice little perk of the park.

I was not as big a Disney nerd before I worked there as I am now. Also, before I worked there, the internet and Disney sites were not as big or as numberious. So, I learned a lot about Disney and DL because of being a CM. But I would bet that many of you who read/post here regularly already know as much or more then you would learn working at the park.

Anyhow, if you are living at home, not in school during the summer, I say, try it for the summer. You might like it, you might learn something you didn't know before. At least, you will see parts of the park you haven't seen before.

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict
    Just my opinion, but I think you live too far. I tried to do it with a 45 minute commute. It is not just the drive. You have to worry about the time on the shuttle, costume change, and walking to your work location. I would leave at least an hour and a half before my shift. Most of the time 2 hours to allow for SoCal traffic.

I think it was a very fun place to work, but living closer is a must. If you can, live in Anaheim/Fullerton area.

• CM for 4 years!

If I have a shift on a weekday that starts before 10 am or between 5-7 pm, I have to leave my house 1.5-1.75 hours before my shift starts.

Otherwise, I leave my house about 1-1.25 hours before my shift starts.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

My recommendation would be NO. The commute will get you, and will not allow you to enjoy your work. Plus there is always the 'fun' of having a scheduled 8-hour turnaround (sometimes less), and when your talking multi-hour commute times, it isn't worth it.
    My suggestion would be (unless you only want to work for fun for a few months) if you want this for awhile, would simply be move closer to the mouse, it makes things infinetly easier.
    The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

• Cast Member

I concur.

Disneyland has far too many hassles for someone to go out of their way for.

If you *REALLY* want to deal with the aggrevation, then go get hired.

But I'd hate to see someone hire in for a couple weeks and then just leave.

Makes me sad in a way, not that most of this isn't DL's fault to begin with, but anyway.

Just a whole lot more to deal with than any other job that pays just above minimum wage.

Bye.

I used to make the 50+ mile commute from Redlands for a few years with relatively few problems. Yes, if can be time consuming, but once you get used to it, it isn’t so bad. However, with gas prices the way they are now, I’d be hesitant to do it again for the wages they pay.

If traffic is the issue, there are ways to get around it. I used to manage my schedule so that I don’t have to deal with it too much. For example, try to avoid shifts with starting times at peak traffic hours (7 to 10 AM and 4:30 to 6:30 PM). I preferred late shifts so driving home was smooth as ice and the drive in was an hour or so. Also, KNOW YOUR FREEWAYS! I wouldn’t be caught dead on the 91 except for perhaps late at night—I preferred the 10 to the 57. Whatever freeways you use, know the trouble spots and how to avoid them.

If this isn’t enough, how about working third shift? More often than not, there’s no traffic and they generally pay more anyway (plus the third shift differential).

Also, I seem to recall a carpool program which paid CMs for gas ($25-50 a week or something) if they signed onto some type of a program in which two or more CM rode together consistantly. You might want to check up on that but I think that was the gist of it.

Good Luck!