Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

About Getting To And From Your Work Place

I am curious about what modern-day CM's face in terms of just going into, and leaving work.

I come from the bygone era (that Al Lutz has written about) where you could pull in off Harbor Blvd maybe 20-30 minutes before your shift started...park in the old "A" or "B" lot - clock in at Harbor House - change clothes and be on the job with time to spare.

At the end of the shift, you supposedly had 15 minutes "walking time" which was never quite enough for me but I was usually punching out no more than five or ten minutes past the end of my shift.

My sense is that it takes longer these days. Where do you park? Do you have to take shuttles? What's it like?

Thanks for your consideration.

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• there's always my way...

Re: About Getting To And From Your Work Place

Parking at DL for work is no longer that easy. try parking in K lot just down the street on Katella, waiting for a shuttle and than running in last second to clock in at Harbor point and if your lucky you got there in time due to traffic. yeah it sucks.
    Come to the dark side,
    we have cookies.

• Cast Member

It's obviously part of the problem with working at DL and it's a lot more hassle that it is sometimes worth. I used to live in the Anaheim Hills area and the 91 was the worst as people are dumb and don't know til the last moment that they should take the connection to Pomona or don't want to and make traffic back up like crazy. Sometimes the 57 would be awful due to things like Angels games(which I didn't like when they are a traffic nuisance).

Just when you thought you were clear when all that was done, you had all the terrible Sunday drivers on Katella or overflow traffic. You drive all the way until you make it to the CM lot. Then you got to find a space, then for all that hassle you still have to get to a shuttle stop and wait for a shuttle to arrive at your location.

The shuttle drivers vary from ok to slower than mollasses.

Sometimes the shuttle drivers just try to get everyone on and that takes forever when some people should have already been waiting for the shuttle to begin with.

Then a shuttle driver can sometimes wait just because their supervisor wants to make sure the shuttles are spaced out(which I can understand but still hate) or the even stranger moment when the driver seems to just not have a clue and sits there and sits there and sits there, I kid you not I've sat there for up to 10 minutes before. That is an eternity when you cut it close.

Shuttle drivers can sometimes drive like grannies and miss every light too which makes a 3 minute shuttle ride 10 minutes or more.

Then on top of all that, you have to finally make it through Harbour Pointe, and security swipe, then go run to your designated clock in location nearest to your actual working location. You hope that a guest doesn't stop you for a question because you really have no time for that at the moment and also hope the parade isn't going on as that severely blocks one's route.

Then you have to clock yourself in and you actually go to your location where after all that you're supposed to put a smile on your face and pretend that all didn't happen.

Thank God I don't have to go through all that and get my costume each day or I'd be gone because costuming has some of the worst cast members as well.......painfully slow, not so bright, and very unattentive.

I work on Main Street and I pity the people that have to do all that and still march their way to Critter Country.

Now I live a few blocks from work, so it's not so much a hassle to go to work. But people still don't know how to drive with a purpose.

Bye.

So there it is in a nutshell.

I doubt the story is much different from others.

Bye.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.DooDah
    Parking at DL for work is no longer that easy. try parking in K lot just down the street on Katella, waiting for a shuttle and than running in last second to clock in at Harbor point and if your lucky you got there in time due to traffic. yeah it sucks.
    A broader point would be...to quote an old Pink Floyd tune... could this be considered just another "brick in the wall" for CM's to leave for other jobs that pay either just as well if not more, with far less hassle?

I sometimes criticize CM's here for not doing all they can to keep the magic going...and I'm alarmed by the turnover rate now...but even after the strike vote stuff, the company needs to step up to make things better for you people.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Banned User

Ill be either
    a) carpooling with my friend who was the person who told me about working at Disneyland in the first place.
    b) My parents dropping and picking me up.
    c) Using the bus (preferred).
    d) Walking to and from work lol (last resort)

• DL ODV CM

Oddly enough I was thinking about how things have changed in terms of getting to and from work since the time I hired in when I was walking in to work today.

When I hired in in 2000 I needed to allocate at least an hour to ensure that there would be enough time to catch a shuttle from Katella lot, wait in line for a costume (sometimes more than once if the items you were first given weren't the correct size), and hike to my work location. And some days even that hour wasn't enough time due to the terrible waits for shuttles and costuming that one could never quite predict. That first summer, Control would call shuttle delays over the radio nearly every day, and costuming lines sometimes began right where the shuttles dropped off. The return trip normally took less time, but never anywhere close to within the 15 minute walk-time. Heh...once when I was on my way home I opted to walk to K-Lot because the shuttle line stretched through harbor house and back to the parade staging area.

Now of days, with FastTrack and the miracle of having a CM parking lot that don't require use of a shuttle, the trip either way usually is about 15 minutes, 10 if I hussle. Quite the improvement.

With the advent of "costume shopping", the costuming process can take less time now than before, provided you know where to go. And hopefully those pesky return trips are less frequent as you can verify that you got the right size before you check out. Shuttles are still hit and miss, but the shuttles are larger and run more frequently now so it's more manageable than it was before. It's still not the greatest situation but it's definitely improved.
    The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company and Affiliated Companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry
    A broader point would be...to quote an old Pink Floyd tune... could this be considered just another "brick in the wall" for CM's to leave for other jobs that pay either just as well if not more, with far less hassle?

I sometimes criticize CM's here for not doing all they can to keep the magic going...and I'm alarmed by the turnover rate now...but even after the strike vote stuff, the company needs to step up to make things better for you people.

--Barry
    Exactly, its very one sided here. they ask for so much and offer very little sure the 16 free entries are good but what about the CM morale. I have see good people let go due to the point system. Example, there is this girl I know who has a kid who is prone to asthma attacks and the kid is 3 years old. Well the girl who must keep magical gets a call from the preschool that she can barley afoard and hears that she must get her son cause he's having an attack. So she leaves and gets points on her record and is let go. She loved Disney breathed Disney but disney booted her cause of the point system.

Meanwhile they have punk kids with no kids there that dont want to be there working and moving along with minimal probs. Now tell me, who can remain Magical.

Parking is really the least of the CM worries.
    Come to the dark side,
    we have cookies.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.DooDah

Parking is really the least of the CM worries.
    This was never meant to be another overall assessment of CM problems. We have plenty of those threads. I was just interested in this one aspect of how the wqork experience there has changed. It seems that it's better now than it was a few years ago, but it will never again be as good (at least relatively easy) as it was in past decades.

--Barry

This was never meant to be another overall assessment of CM problems. We have plenty of those threads. I was just interested in this one aspect of how the wqork experience there has changed. It seems that it's better now than it was a few years ago, but it will never again be as good (at least relatively easy) as it was in past decades.

--Barry
    LOL! I guess I did go on a rant he he. Sorry but yes parking I would say has improved from the good ol days as it was a walk from the back of the parking lot and now there is no mingling with park attendees.
    Come to the dark side,
    we have cookies.

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by gumby
    It's obviously part of the problem with working at DL and it's a lot more hassle that it is sometimes worth.
    It was one of the main deciding factors for me leaving. I also lived and breathed Disneyland, and it was dream for me to work there, but the hassle of the whole thing made it totally not worth it and I was sad to leave.

• CM for 4 years!

If I arrive in K-lot in my personal clothes, by a half-hour before my shift start time, I will be fine--

10 minutes to ride the shuttle from "K1" to Harbor Pt.
    10 minutes to deal with costuming and change
    10 minutes to walk to my location

This leaves me, typically, with about a 5 minute leeway.

I've made it from K-lot to my work location in 22 minutes once before, though. (It involved a lot of rushing and dressing while running to my location, but I made it!)
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• Leave 'em wanting more!

I am curious about what modern-day CM's face in terms of just going into, and leaving work.

I come from the bygone era (that Al Lutz has written about) where you could pull in off Harbor Blvd maybe 20-30 minutes before your shift started...park in the old "A" or "B" lot - clock in at Harbor House - change clothes and be on the job with time to spare.

At the end of the shift, you supposedly had 15 minutes "walking time" which was never quite enough for me but I was usually punching out no more than five or ten minutes past the end of my shift.

My sense is that it takes longer these days. Where do you park? Do you have to take shuttles? What's it like?

Thanks for your consideration.

-- Barry
    I park in the TDA parking structure, which is nice. I really feel for those people who have to do the K communte. Blech!
    ~ Tasty, yet morally ambiguous! ~

I'm a Disney World CM so I have no idea what most of you are talking about, but the fifteen minute trek through the tunnel at MK is what always made me end up late to work!

Driving from home to K-Lot, and taking the shuttle from K-Lot to Harbor Pointe: 45 minutes and about $2.50 in gas
    Using OCTA to get from home to Harbor Pointe: 55 minutes, Disney pays for the bus pass, and I get Commuter Assistance points.

As long as my scheduled shift ends at midnight or earlier, I take the bus. The 20 minute walk time gives me just enough time to catch the 43 when it arrives at Harbor Pointe around 11:45ish. I do have to admit this wouldn't be possible without Fast Track Costuming though...

• Basking in birthday love

If I need to pick up a costume, I have to plan on getting to Harbor Pointe 30 minutes before my start time. I can do it in less time (I've done it in something like 10 minutes), but 30 minutes means that I don't have to rush and can actually do my makeup properly once I'm in costume. If it's a costume I haven't worn before, I have to give myself an extra 15-30 minutes to allow for multiple trips through costuming to figure out the right size. (The first time I wore the Adventureland costume, I had to go back three times for culottes.) If I don't need a new costume, I need to be to Harbor Pointe 5-10 minutes before my start time, depending on my location. (For instance, it takes much, much less time to get to the Opera House than it does to get to Fantasmic.)

To account for shuttle weirdness and, depending on my start time, the possibility of parking way out in the back corner of K-Lot, I plan on getting to K-Lot about 15 minutes before I need to be to Harbor Pointe. The drive from my house to K-Lot can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes, depending on traffic. The average is usually about 45.

The upshot of all of this is that I generally leave two hours before I'm scheduled to start. However, before I had a car, I'd sometimes have to leave up to four hours before my start time to negotiate two trains and a bus. I'd say this is rather preferable.

(Oh, and I'm usually in my car leaving K-Lot about five minutes after my off-time, if I don't stop to change, chat, or take care of other business.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast