Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Was it magical for you?

Should I work at disneyland?please help

Right now I live in the bay area and I have always wanted to work at disneyland.I'm 24 and I figure I should do it before I get married and have kids.It was be the biggest change ever in my life if I move to aneheim , so I need some advice from any CM out there.I don't have any family or friends in the L.A area, I would be leaving my b/f ( even though things are not so good right now) my vet tech job of 2 years.I know the pay isn't good but I would do it for the exeperince.Is it worth it to move to anheim to work at disneyland?I have worked at another local theme park, I have some good exeperince.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Re: Should I work at disneyland?please help

I'm not a CM, nor have I ever worked as a CM, but I think it would not be a very smart move to relocate away from family and friends for a job that barely pays $8 an hour.

BUT if you want to think about it further, I suggest doing some research on rental prices (try craigslist.org or move.com), look at mapquest to see how far you'd need to drive and figure out how much gas will run you if you're driving, and how much bus fare would be if you're using public transport.

Think long and hard about your budget on $8/hour, how you will pay your bills and how you will support yourself. If you can do it, and not go into debt, then start thinking about how working at Disneyland will benefit your career. Will it help you get a decent paying job in the long run? Will it allow you to go to school?

Only after you think about these things, actually look at th cold, hard budget numbers can you answer if its worth moving away from everything you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• insufferable know-it-all

Take a 3-month leave of absence from the vet tech job and just do it for the summer (rent a room, don't move completely).

I understand the desire to have done it, but financially it's not a great idea, so if you're going to do it, do it in a way that doesn't set you back too badly on everything else.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperbole
    I'm not a CM, nor have I ever worked as a CM, but I think it would not be a very smart move to relocate away from family and friends for a job that barely pays $8 an hour.
    Gonna have to agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperbole
    Think long and hard about your budget on $8/hour, how you will pay your bills and how you will support yourself.
    And know that while CM's are getting more hours than they possibly want right now, when winter rolls around your hours could drop significantly. (I was barely getting 20 hours a week during February).

• Dont make me unfriend you

I wouldn't do it..not this year.

Right now, DL is having a very hard time keeping CM's for more then a couple of months. Sometimes it's Disney's idea that the CM leave, sometimes it's the CM's idea. But either way, such a large turnover screams that there is a problem there.

If you were to move down for only the summer and call it a "working vacation" might not be bad. It might be too late now, but you might be able to sublease a room for the summer in student housing. Maybe not "on campus" student housing, but if there is a room in an house or apartment free for the summer, while the student living there for 9 months goes back home, you might be able to get a cheap room for the summer. Again, in July, it might be too late for that but you never know.

A "career" as a CM right now is just too iffy. Working for a summer might be do-able, but the summer is half over already. Trying for a few months to get it checked off of your "life-time to do list" is cool, but travel down first to see if you can find housing and what at what kind of rent, ect.

You can dump the bf and not move to So Cal, you know. (in case that was playing into the "I wanna move" mindset.)

Are you in school right now? If so I would look into the college program instead of relocating on your own.

Sad Re: Should I work at disneyland?please help

no i'm not in college,are you guys college kids? I somehow made it working for less at another theme park and i could always fall back on my vet tech background.I'm so bumbed out.but thanks for the tips.

ok so how does anyone work at disneyland and live off it? I know people do it.Isn't disneyland about dreams coming true?People thought Walt was crazy to make Disneyland and he still did it.I know now I'm going to get more negative threads but does anyone think I should do it.Any REAL Cast Members out there who can tell me how you live and still work at disneyland?Second job? I could do that,vet tech,retail,hotel front desk,animal trainer,lifeguard,movie extra I've done all the above.I'm a jack of all trades and guess what I don't have a car and I still get work on time,usually early!SAVY?

• Ex Dept 915 CM

I say, if you want to work at DL, go work at DL. You can find a way to make it happen. I worked there for five years and it was always a second job for me. The hours were long (8 hours at my day job and 8 hours at DL) but I feel it was worth it. I will always have happy memories of that time. You don't want to look back at your life, regretting never working there. I'm glad I worked there when I did. I am now established in Northern California (Brentwood). My daughter is starting high school this year (I was working at DL when she was born). I can't work there now, but I am glad I at least took a shot at my dream. People might say now is not a good time to work there, but it is still the happiest place on earth and they still need good people to help create the magic. I say, go for it, if that is what you want. We moved up to Northern California 8 years ago with no family or friends up here and we have been very happy.

• CM for 4 years!

Now that I'm a waitress at the Resort, I earn enough money to be able to support myself if I wanted to move out... of course, that involves working almost 60 hours a week in the summer just to save up enough to cover my butt for the rest of the year, but really, it's worth it for me.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• Dont make me unfriend you

Quote Originally Posted by melmel
    Now that I'm a waitress at the Resort, I earn enough money to be able to support myself if I wanted to move out... of course, that involves working almost 60 hours a week in the summer just to save up enough to cover my butt for the rest of the year, but really, it's worth it for me.
    And how long did you live at home while working at DL before you were bumped up to waitress?

You know, Jungle Cruise Gal, you asked our advice. I gave you the best advice I could. It is up to you if you want to listen to it or not. Many CM's are still living at home while they work at DL. (That is what I did while working as a CM).

Go to College and get your degree first! One thing the cast members always told us new hires was if you're still around working at Disneyland when you get your "B" discount code you're a LIFER. Do what I did, I worked for a summer as a CT and loved it. I think knowing this wasn't my real job in life helped in the enjoyment of the experience. If you lived next to the park I would say go for it, but leaving your family and friends, ouch. Go to College and earn your degree and then apply for a professional career in the Disneyland resort. Good luck in your decision.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Cruise Gal
    ok so how does anyone work at disneyland and live off it? I know people do it.Isn't disneyland about dreams coming true?People thought Walt was crazy to make Disneyland and he still did it.I know now I'm going to get more negative threads but does anyone think I should do it.Any REAL Cast Members out there who can tell me how you live and still work at disneyland?Second job? I could do that,vet tech,retail,hotel front desk,animal trainer,lifeguard,movie extra I've done all the above.I'm a jack of all trades and guess what I don't have a car and I still get work on time,usually early!SAVY?
    Settle down turbo.

Like I said, if you do the hard numbers, calculate how much you need to be making in order to survive, are able to find an apartment within your target and also near bus routes, etc.... then go for it. But do that planning first.

Yeah, dreams are great and all, but dreams don't put a roof over your head and food on the table. Keep in mind that Walt was a millionaire when he took the crazy leap to start Disneyland, so that's not exactly a logical comparison.

I'll reiterate. Plan, plan, plan. Dust off your MS Excel skills and work out some spreadsheets with what your monthly expenses will be, what your take home pay will be, and see if it all works out. THEN decide if you want to move to Southern California to take the job at Disneyland.

BTW, with your experience, you might think about looking into a job at the hotels on property. I'm pretty sure their front desk agents make more than attractions CM's, but with the same benefits (Main Gate pass, etc.).

Oh, and no, I'm not a "college kid". I'm older, I'm a parent, and I've been down the "I wanna work at Disneyland" bit myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Cruise Gal
    Any REAL Cast Members out there who can tell me how you live and still work at disneyland?
    I was a REAL CM. I am past college life. The only way I could follow my Work at Disneyland dream, was to have a husband who brought in a real salary.

The reality is, a CM paycheck is not enough to live in Anaheim/Orange County unless you have a second income from yourself or significant other, or you have a lot of room mates.

I really do appreciate everyones advice .sorry if I got a little frustrated, Its a big decision and all my family thinks I should do it and I guess some of them have friends who live in Anaheim who could help me.I just thought more people on here would be all for me moving .I've looked at other threads of other people wanting to work at disneyland and they received more positive input.Anyways thank you everyone for all your input I will take all of it into consideration on moving or not.By the way Walt was not a millionaire when he wanted to build disneyland he actually had finacial support from Roy Disney and sold his ranch and finally ABC helped him too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast